Topic: progress report  (Read 20625 times)

Stormbringer

progress report
« on: March 04, 2004, 11:20:22 pm »
Approval for VA loan to 100K is in the pipeline. I don't want more at the moment because when I complete my vocational training I will be able to custom build a home at ridiculous price levels. This was meant to provide a small functional home during school.

On the down side the electrician's apprenticeship program in OKC only had five ascessions last year. The odds for getting on the early gravy train there are pretty bad. I can either try at all regional centers in the surrounding states or knuckle down and use the GI Bill and maybe get a throw away job until there are openings.  I was looking forward to appretice pay, pocketing the GI bill and drawing pension at the same time. It might happen that way but it is looking bleak on that front.

Sirgod

Re: progress report
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 11:48:33 pm »
man I I hope It does work out, as I just got a notice from another Forum member that he might be moving to Tinker AFB. I was hoping that we could all get together, and have a Think tank kinda thing going on.

But hey Storm, I understand That you gotta take care of Number one, and I know I'll see you at least one more time, Because I have your books.  

Seriously, If I can help in any way, Please let me know. your one of the best Friends I've met in along long time.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 11:51:53 pm »
Depending on the level of ascessions in other regional centers it may not be worth my time to move elsewhere either. Is there an acredited vo-tech program in the metro area that you know of? or in norman?  

Sirgod

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 11:58:00 pm »
i'll be more then happy to check both Norman, and stillwater tomorrow. I'll even check out edmond, Because I know of one or two colleges there, that mainly deal with secondary Vo-tech/University studies.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 12:02:07 am »
See, the weak ascession numbers only mean that I can't count on apprentice pay and free training not that I cannot proceed with my plan. I would still be in the potential apprentice pool for two years at a whack. Just have to live less large than I would like is all.

The_Joker

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 01:29:37 am »
Arkansas Tech is about an hour west of the boarder on I-40.  

JMM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 09:14:06 am »
Storm, glad to see you posting and taking advantages of your benefits for service to the United States of America.  

Carpentry, another great trade, you and EE can go out there and build houses, the I-35 corridor is HOT territory as you know! If only we could get those darn illegals out so the wages go UP again instead of DOWN. One of my brothers is a carpenter and general construction, been in the business his whole life (30 plus years), he is having trouble finding a job in Texas because of the wages and illegals.

Joker has a great point, you gotta get moving and if you have to drive, well, you are retired now, you got nothing but time and the "can do" attitude. My sister by my stepdad's marriage to my mom, she is a nurse at the VA hospital in Temple. She was in your position, U.T. and ACC in Austin had two year waiting lists. But Temple/Waco area had immediate openings, so she drove from Georgetown to Temple/Waco area almost every day. Was it worth it? Well, she got her degree and has been working for VA for ten years plus, so yeah, I would dare to say that she would vouch it was well worth it.

You get that assoc. degree in carpentry, you get preference on Federal construction projects as well!   Though I will warn you, having been a VA work study in my college days after the army, Vietnam vets get preference over EVERYBODY, which is all good, we had a decent homecoming when we got back to Germany after DS part one, and the American based soldiers? Wow, wish I was there! The Vietnam vets? Got spat on and badmouthed and treated like manure.   They deserve hiring preference, IMHO.

BTW, be sure to take before and after pics of your new home, I know you will be using your skills to remodel. I've been taken pics of the house in Mexico and I plan on creating a homepage and using some before and after pics myself.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 08:17:25 pm »
Yeah. I'm most likely not going to be raking in the money like I thought for a few years but I'm still going to put in a 3000 dollar spa/-tub. I have to crowbar my A$$terisk into standard sized ones and can cause water damage after one attempt to wash my hair or arms. So a new bath will most likely be my first remodel whereever I go. And I have my mind set on a laurel mountain Windsor model. might as well go all the way.

Stormbringer

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 08:19:45 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.  

Capt. Mike

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 09:27:30 am »
The biggest problem for a military retiree, even a Viet Nam vet (as I am)...if you retire from the military, you are not a vet until your 30 year obligation (time from 20+ years to 30) is completed..it kinda sucks, which is why I took a contractor job rather than civil service.

Went over 30 in Feb, and I am casting around...tired of NE, and would like to move back east.

Storm, the biggest problem with retirement..you tend to stay in one place to GD'd long...at least the military moved you around and leavened the loaf.

Mike

JMM

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 10:59:16 am »
Who came up with that BS Capt. Mike? I thought when you retire, YOU RETIRE? The only thing I knew about was if you signed up for less than 8 yrs, you still were on call for a total of 8 years (active duty time included of course).

You need not look at only civil service jobs. In Texas, veterans who take a state job get their military time (portions, not the whole enchilada), added to their state time worked for retirement after 5 years of continuous service, not a bad deal at all, especially since you cannot collect retirement from military and civil service anymore even if you served long enough in civil service to retire (double dipping), it was that way in the old days (man, the baby boomers had it made, eh?). You can however, collect military retirement and state retirement!    

Sirgod

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 11:17:33 am »
Does the postal Service offer the same thing? I know they have a preferance for Hiring Vet's, But I'm not sure If they give Time in like other State jobs.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 06:27:17 pm »
Web searches turned up Votechs in Moore, Norman, Edmund, OKC Metro area, Ada, Shawnee, Stillwater and others. There is also one in Lawton-Ft Sill. The Metro-tech (OKC) has a residential tuition price per 600hrs of 650 to 750 dollars. Max Montgomery GI Bill draw per month is 900 dollars (+) per month. That means I can use the totality of my pension for other things like running a household, etc. The trouble is; the hands on portion is not fully supported. That is once the curriculum is finished there is about 3200 hrs of grunt work before you can take the journeyman certification. On the bright side, I might be able to concurrently swing the carpentry training. So I plan to sign on at several union centers and then enroll while waiting in the union apprenticeship queue. That way if I get selected for the apprenticeship program I just start pocketing the rest of the GI Bill money; otherwise I continue to suck up the loss. Projected increase in demand for electricians is 7 to 10 percent in the immediate area of OKC. The question is if I want a job to supplement my income while in school or not. I certainly wouldn't mind more money, but I value my free time pretty heavily. Hmmmmmm.

At this point I ask the remaining union electricians still forum members for advice on the VO-tech Route and how to best find the work toward journeyman as a no experience ronin apprentice.  

Sirgod

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 08:31:35 pm »

Quote:

At this point I ask the remaining union electricians still forum members for advice on the VO-tech Route and how to best find the work toward journeyman as a no experience ronin apprentice.

Stephen Nominates this as the best use of the word Ronin for the Month.  

Damn, Jerry, I love the way you think Bro.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 03:04:47 pm »
I actually forgot to check on when classes begin. D'oh.  

The Postman

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 03:19:46 pm »
Quote:

Does the postal Service offer the same thing? I know they have a preferance for Hiring Vet's, But I'm not sure If they give Time in like other State jobs.

stephen  

I am not sure about retirement, but I do know your time in counts towards benefits. If you would like I can get a better answer tomorrow.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 12:11:21 am »
A house I'm thinking about buying for while I'm in school can be found here:  

Potential Home

I't is amazing how cheap some houses are here. In some places this would be a 6 digit home. This would become a rental property after I finish my training.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 12:19:49 am by Stormbringer »

Toasty0

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2004, 12:15:01 am »
64,000 for a 64 year old, 1461 sq foot house.

Hmmmm...I think for the area they may be asking for a bit too much. Offer 57,000.

Best,
Jerry  

Stormbringer

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 12:18:38 am »
On the down side it has one bathroom and a small .14 acre) lot. I have not yet been to the property to see condition or layout.

Sirgod

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 12:21:56 am »
Quote:

Potential Home

I't is amazing how cheap some houses are here. In some places this would be a 6 digit home. This would become a rental property after I finish my training.  

If you have an Adress , I'd be happy to Check It out for You Storm.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2004, 12:34:04 am »
I need to call the agency tomorrow to get it.

Stormbringer

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 12:37:01 am »
It may have been updated, but I agree that asking for a reduced price as well as checking for problems associated with older homes is prudent. Thanks for caring enough to offer advice.   Also there re plenty of larger and newer houses in the city and surrounding area even at less cost but I love the facade. If it were on a country lot or at least a larger lot it would be irresistable. The web page says it's single story but the book says it has a half story. There is a room over the garage not counted in the square footage for some reason. I like the idea of a multi-level house. Even though this will end up as a rental in a few years I might remodel it any way. New bathroom. kitchen, dining room staircase.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 12:46:38 am by Stormbringer »

Stormbringer

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2004, 04:12:17 pm »
1205 SW Binkley. Easiest way to get there (to binkley st)  is via Mckinney (?) road between SW 29th and Penn. 4 blocks down Mckinney. If the agent's info is correct and I got it all.

Sirgod

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2004, 04:16:47 pm »
I'll check It out for you, But the SW part of OKC, is not the best area Too be honest. Give me untill tomorrow afternoon, and I'll Give It a look see.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2004, 04:24:17 pm »
Alrighty then. The picture shows part of the house next door. Kind of a hint of the nieghbohood. Did not set off alarm bells. But it's not much to go by. Your recon will help. The lot is tiny. 50X130. just two smallish trees in back. All things I dislike being a country boy at heart.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 04:25:24 pm by Stormbringer »

Sirgod

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2004, 11:48:08 pm »
Sorry, I didn't get to It today, But I'll try to over the weekend Bro.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2004, 11:53:45 pm »
No problem. People who ask favors should not demand a strict timeline. I have almost all the time in the world.

Side note:  Dojo mat, 600 dollars for a 5X15 foot strip (Macho brand.). Incredible. Barely enough for combination drils, tumbling drills or Kata practice. Sheesh!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 12:07:44 am by Stormbringer »

Sirgod

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 12:14:43 am »
Yep they are very expensive. at the time I had my DoJo The tax number is the only thing that saved me. When I went to Century MA, there in DelCity, I bought almost 5k worth of stuff, but got a discount because of opening a new buisness account with them. Of course that was back around '95.

all the same, I'll check with a buddy up in Tulsa, He may still have some of my old MA training stuff, Pads, Kickshields, etc, That you can use.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2004, 12:18:30 am »
I won't have a use for kick shield etc without someone to beat up on.   I meant practice with.

ActiveX

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2004, 12:19:44 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2004, 12:24:42 am »
Whutchu sqintin' at, willis?

kidding aside, It's been twenty years since I've practiced regularly, and my injuries will prevent me from using my favorite techniques. On top of that SirGod said he used to own a Dojo. I used to be an 7th Blue belt in Jhoon Rhee's original style of TKD. I don't think he has anything to worry about in the Dojo abuse department.

Sirgod

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2004, 12:25:22 am »
Hey I'm your guy. Hell I need to get some practice back in anyway. We can even Get Brother Mush up here also. He's pretty quick on his feet actually.  that Is If we can Pry him away from His Oil and Cows.  

Stephen

Sirgod

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:17 am »
Jhoon Rhee was a pretty cool guy, He used to teach Presidents at one time, and also Congress IIRC. He used to be in just about every other MA Magaizine around.

I studies TKD back when I was a kid, But I mostly practiced JKD over the last 10-12 years. Heck You've seen me though, I'm Built more like Joe Lewis rather then Bruce , Ted, etc.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:47 am »
Well when I finally get to learning Gatka, I could join yall fogies...

Sirgod

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2004, 12:31:00 am »
Quote:

I can just see us all in some old Guy Movie, and activeX being the Young guy coming into the Group to help us kill Ninja's/terrorists/ Finish anger management People, whoever the Villian of the day happens to be.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2004, 12:31:51 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I can just see us all in some old Guy Movie, and activeX being the Young guy coming into the Group to help us kill Ninja's/terrorists/ Finish anger management People, whoever the Villian of the day happens to be.

Stephen  

The Crew...plus One

Toasty0

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2004, 12:34:39 am »
Quote:

I won't have a use for kick shield etc without someone to beat up on.   I meant practice with.  

Stephen looks about the right size for a dummy-standin...

hehehehe..

Stormbringer

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2004, 12:36:28 am »
Quick on his feet, eh. Nah, we don't need him. At least not until I practice up a bit. Of the 6 kata's needed to qualify for the belt I wear I can perform only the first (Chun ji) and part of the second (Tan Gun). My stances, footwork, speed and endurance suck, and the techniques are more likely to injure me than any opponent. Thats why I'm looking into converting an unused room into a semi-private dijoo-exercise room.

Sirgod

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2004, 12:42:41 am »
Oh wow, I an recall Chun Ji, Wrist's too the Right side, left punch, Rotate, again punch, etc. Following Compass points I believe.

Man that's been along time ago.

BTW Secret Practice sessions are being planned on so we can all make that small trip to Las Vegas.  

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2004, 12:45:05 am »
Quote:

BTW Secret Practice sessions are being planned on so we can all make that small trip to Las Vegas.  

Already there...

Sirgod

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2004, 12:47:44 am »
That's right, I forgot you where in Vegas. My In-laws lived there for along time, Like 22 years.

Seriously, If I can ever afford It, I'd love to make the trip back out there, esp. since the Borg invaded the Hilton.  

stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2004, 12:48:55 am »
Still havent managed to meet Toasty...

Sirgod

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2004, 12:51:00 am »
Well , that's probably a good thing, His grand Kids would Probably run you over. I've seen the film of there Driving.  

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:41 am »
That's why I remember it. (Don't look at my stances though. They are no longer automatic.) And don't tell the old form names to Jhoon Rhee's new students (international style) thy use the Olympic Tae guek katas. They don't use the same katas or the same rank system. (Blue belt? What's that? You made that up!)

ActiveX

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:56 am »
You should see me eastbound on the 215, sofar I've gotten to 110 mph in moderate traffic...

And now that the head gaskets are being replaced on the T-Bird...

Sirgod

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2004, 01:03:43 am »
LOL, I can remember when all the Controversy over Belt testing was a big thing. alot of people Claimed It was just away to make more money for the Instructors. I have no idea if that's still the case or not these days, It's been along time ago, since I lloked at Rigid forms of MA.  

Seriously though, I bet you could still do some damage if you had too.

hehe, ActiveX I wish I would have known you a few years back, We used to live in Knigman AZ.

As a matter of fact, the year we lived there, I used to always be asked, Why did you move to Kingman from Oklahoma?

after awhile, and to be left alone, I perfected the one word answer... "revenge"

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2004, 01:09:04 am »
Many Dojos are so commercialized now and altered to sports goals more than defense and spiritual development  that I think the argument is mostlydead. Now advertisements in martial arts magazines offer a career in owning a dojo even if you do not know martial arts. (I actually saw this somewhere.) There are few good dojos, sifus,   shidoshis or instructors  left if this is true.

ActiveX

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2004, 01:11:48 am »
I wont even be old enough to gamble or drink legally untill this November...

So a few years back I prolly wouldnt have known you anyway...

Sirgod

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2004, 01:34:56 am »
I was one of the first sifu's to actually do a Pay by day basis. No Contracts at all, as I had been raped with those growing up. every now and again, I'll get a call for a few Private lessons, But after the Necro crap, and my shoulder Being broke, It's been along time since i've been able to do any serious teaching.

I do have to admit this Conversation between us has Raised my old teaching Blood though.

Hehe, It would be funny If us old Fart Star Trek Fans decided to enter a tourney and win.

Heck ActiveX, Don't sweat, your just a few years younger then my step son. He's only 22 actually, So you would have been gold. as a matter of fact, Nathan was one of my student's and that's how I met his mother , my current wife.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2004, 02:09:11 am »
Im thinking about having another go at the military, see if they will go fer it...

Prolly not the same branch...honor thing...heh...

Sirgod

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2004, 10:56:44 am »
Well I hope It works out for you ActiveX ,Here's to your serving.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2004, 10:59:43 am »
Im actually looking to get aboard an AWACS or a P-3...Air Force or Navy...

JMM

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2004, 12:27:26 pm »
Make SURE you get the college fund in addition to the basic G.I. Bill, Active, you will NOT regret it when you exit and go to college. You do not even have to exit to use it, I knew many people at DeWitt Army Hospital who were attending college full-time, collecting their G.I. Bill and getting their active duty pay! Sweeeeeet! Plus an education to boot!    

ActiveX

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2004, 12:37:25 pm »
Im no longer eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill...

JMM

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2004, 10:13:25 pm »
Well, still make sure you get a good MOS where you have some time to get an education, even without the G.I. bill, the military still helps active duty soldiers with college expenses, at least they did in 91-94 when I was at DeWitt hospital after gulf war. Man, MEDDAC was so great! I missed the CAV units, but I preferred looking at and being around all the women, patients and workers alike! Also, co-ed barracks rock!    

ActiveX

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2004, 01:36:46 am »
Hehe, well I plan to get all the education I can in the time I serve hehe...

Maybe work on a Masters slowly but surely...

Sirgod

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »
Any update ActiveX? How's It going.

BTW storm, still haven't made It out to that house, But I will this week.

stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:30 pm »
I have to go to Phoenix MEPS before anything newsworthy happens...

JMM

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2004, 07:32:32 am »
What route you gonna go Active? You have a degree, going to give being an officer a go? Or go enlisted and apply for OCS? Army or Air Force? Stay away from Navy and Marines, too much deployment time IMO. You already been there and done that.

Being an ex 91B, might I suggest the medical field? You get a good clinic or hospital duty assignment, I guarantee you will be going to school while serving. If you fo enlisted as a 91B, and you have the required core classes, apply for P.A. school (physician assistant), big demand in the civilian world for them. You have the power of a doctor, but are not exactly a doctor, but you are above a nurse.  

BTW, Ft. Sam Houston is in San Antonio, you'll LOVE it, Riverwalk, so many places to go to and things to do. You have the beach only two 1/2 hours away, Mexico 2 1/2 hours away, and Austin is 1 1/2 hrs away. School there? You'll learn A LOT, but it is also one big party place too! Beware the "meat market" on post, hehehehehehehehehehehe.  

ActiveX

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2004, 08:17:34 am »

I was thinking about goin USAF and gunnin fer a radar tech rate...

I could be airborne or anywhere I'd want, I'll prolly go fer an AWACs eventually...

SL-Punisher

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2004, 08:23:28 am »
Little chance of AWACS aircraft being phased out...so it's definatly a growth area

The only problem I see is reduction of controllers on the aircraft due to improvements in computer processing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 08:24:07 am by SL-Punisher »

Stormbringer

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2004, 06:08:40 pm »
Heh. Heh. Another Radar baby is born.

ActiveX

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2004, 07:43:46 pm »
Quote:

Stormbringer

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2004, 10:22:14 pm »
Radar Love. I told you "Mister Squinty  " that if you kept that up you'd go blind.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Stormbringer »

Stormbringer

progress report
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2004, 11:20:22 pm »
Approval for VA loan to 100K is in the pipeline. I don't want more at the moment because when I complete my vocational training I will be able to custom build a home at ridiculous price levels. This was meant to provide a small functional home during school.

On the down side the electrician's apprenticeship program in OKC only had five ascessions last year. The odds for getting on the early gravy train there are pretty bad. I can either try at all regional centers in the surrounding states or knuckle down and use the GI Bill and maybe get a throw away job until there are openings.  I was looking forward to appretice pay, pocketing the GI bill and drawing pension at the same time. It might happen that way but it is looking bleak on that front.

Sirgod

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2004, 11:48:33 pm »
man I I hope It does work out, as I just got a notice from another Forum member that he might be moving to Tinker AFB. I was hoping that we could all get together, and have a Think tank kinda thing going on.

But hey Storm, I understand That you gotta take care of Number one, and I know I'll see you at least one more time, Because I have your books.  

Seriously, If I can help in any way, Please let me know. your one of the best Friends I've met in along long time.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2004, 11:51:53 pm »
Depending on the level of ascessions in other regional centers it may not be worth my time to move elsewhere either. Is there an acredited vo-tech program in the metro area that you know of? or in norman?  

Sirgod

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2004, 11:58:00 pm »
i'll be more then happy to check both Norman, and stillwater tomorrow. I'll even check out edmond, Because I know of one or two colleges there, that mainly deal with secondary Vo-tech/University studies.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2004, 12:02:07 am »
See, the weak ascession numbers only mean that I can't count on apprentice pay and free training not that I cannot proceed with my plan. I would still be in the potential apprentice pool for two years at a whack. Just have to live less large than I would like is all.

The_Joker

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2004, 01:29:37 am »

JMM

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2004, 09:14:06 am »
Storm, glad to see you posting and taking advantages of your benefits for service to the United States of America.  

Carpentry, another great trade, you and EE can go out there and build houses, the I-35 corridor is HOT territory as you know! If only we could get those darn illegals out so the wages go UP again instead of DOWN. One of my brothers is a carpenter and general construction, been in the business his whole life (30 plus years), he is having trouble finding a job in Texas because of the wages and illegals.

Joker has a great point, you gotta get moving and if you have to drive, well, you are retired now, you got nothing but time and the "can do" attitude. My sister by my stepdad's marriage to my mom, she is a nurse at the VA hospital in Temple. She was in your position, U.T. and ACC in Austin had two year waiting lists. But Temple/Waco area had immediate openings, so she drove from Georgetown to Temple/Waco area almost every day. Was it worth it? Well, she got her degree and has been working for VA for ten years plus, so yeah, I would dare to say that she would vouch it was well worth it.

You get that assoc. degree in carpentry, you get preference on Federal construction projects as well!   Though I will warn you, having been a VA work study in my college days after the army, Vietnam vets get preference over EVERYBODY, which is all good, we had a decent homecoming when we got back to Germany after DS part one, and the American based soldiers? Wow, wish I was there! The Vietnam vets? Got spat on and badmouthed and treated like manure.   They deserve hiring preference, IMHO.

BTW, be sure to take before and after pics of your new home, I know you will be using your skills to remodel. I've been taken pics of the house in Mexico and I plan on creating a homepage and using some before and after pics myself.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2004, 08:17:25 pm »
Yeah. I'm most likely not going to be raking in the money like I thought for a few years but I'm still going to put in a 3000 dollar spa/-tub. I have to crowbar my A$$terisk into standard sized ones and can cause water damage after one attempt to wash my hair or arms. So a new bath will most likely be my first remodel whereever I go. And I have my mind set on a laurel mountain Windsor model. might as well go all the way.

Stormbringer

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2004, 08:19:45 pm »

Capt. Mike

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2004, 09:27:30 am »
The biggest problem for a military retiree, even a Viet Nam vet (as I am)...if you retire from the military, you are not a vet until your 30 year obligation (time from 20+ years to 30) is completed..it kinda sucks, which is why I took a contractor job rather than civil service.

Went over 30 in Feb, and I am casting around...tired of NE, and would like to move back east.

Storm, the biggest problem with retirement..you tend to stay in one place to GD'd long...at least the military moved you around and leavened the loaf.

Mike

JMM

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2004, 10:59:16 am »
Who came up with that BS Capt. Mike? I thought when you retire, YOU RETIRE? The only thing I knew about was if you signed up for less than 8 yrs, you still were on call for a total of 8 years (active duty time included of course).

You need not look at only civil service jobs. In Texas, veterans who take a state job get their military time (portions, not the whole enchilada), added to their state time worked for retirement after 5 years of continuous service, not a bad deal at all, especially since you cannot collect retirement from military and civil service anymore even if you served long enough in civil service to retire (double dipping), it was that way in the old days (man, the baby boomers had it made, eh?). You can however, collect military retirement and state retirement!    

Sirgod

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2004, 11:17:33 am »

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2004, 06:27:17 pm »
Web searches turned up Votechs in Moore, Norman, Edmund, OKC Metro area, Ada, Shawnee, Stillwater and others. There is also one in Lawton-Ft Sill. The Metro-tech (OKC) has a residential tuition price per 600hrs of 650 to 750 dollars. Max Montgomery GI Bill draw per month is 900 dollars (+) per month. That means I can use the totality of my pension for other things like running a household, etc. The trouble is; the hands on portion is not fully supported. That is once the curriculum is finished there is about 3200 hrs of grunt work before you can take the journeyman certification. On the bright side, I might be able to concurrently swing the carpentry training. So I plan to sign on at several union centers and then enroll while waiting in the union apprenticeship queue. That way if I get selected for the apprenticeship program I just start pocketing the rest of the GI Bill money; otherwise I continue to suck up the loss. Projected increase in demand for electricians is 7 to 10 percent in the immediate area of OKC. The question is if I want a job to supplement my income while in school or not. I certainly wouldn't mind more money, but I value my free time pretty heavily. Hmmmmmm.

Sirgod

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2004, 08:31:35 pm »

Quote:

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2004, 03:04:47 pm »

The Postman

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2004, 03:19:46 pm »
Quote:

stephen  

I am not sure about retirement, but I do know your time in counts towards benefits. If you would like I can get a better answer tomorrow.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2004, 12:11:21 am »

Potential Home

Toasty0

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2004, 12:15:01 am »

Hmmmm...I think for the area they may be asking for a bit too much. Offer 57,000.

Best,
Jerry  

Stormbringer

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2004, 12:18:38 am »
On the down side it has one bathroom and a small .14 acre) lot. I have not yet been to the property to see condition or layout.

Sirgod

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2004, 12:21:56 am »
Quote:

Potential Home

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2004, 12:34:04 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2004, 12:37:01 am »
It may have been updated, but I agree that asking for a reduced price as well as checking for problems associated with older homes is prudent. Thanks for caring enough to offer advice.   Also there re plenty of larger and newer houses in the city and surrounding area even at less cost but I love the facade. If it were on a country lot or at least a larger lot it would be irresistable. The web page says it's single story but the book says it has a half story. There is a room over the garage not counted in the square footage for some reason. I like the idea of a multi-level house. Even though this will end up as a rental in a few years I might remodel it any way. New bathroom. kitchen, dining room staircase.

Stormbringer

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2004, 04:12:17 pm »
1205 SW Binkley. Easiest way to get there (to binkley st)  is via Mckinney (?) road between SW 29th and Penn. 4 blocks down Mckinney. If the agent's info is correct and I got it all.

Sirgod

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2004, 04:16:47 pm »
I'll check It out for you, But the SW part of OKC, is not the best area Too be honest. Give me untill tomorrow afternoon, and I'll Give It a look see.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2004, 04:24:17 pm »
Alrighty then. The picture shows part of the house next door. Kind of a hint of the nieghbohood. Did not set off alarm bells. But it's not much to go by. Your recon will help. The lot is tiny. 50X130. just two smallish trees in back. All things I dislike being a country boy at heart.  

Sirgod

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2004, 11:48:08 pm »

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2004, 11:53:45 pm »
No problem. People who ask favors should not demand a strict timeline. I have almost all the time in the world.

Side note:  Dojo mat, 600 dollars for a 5X15 foot strip (Macho brand.). Incredible. Barely enough for combination drils, tumbling drills or Kata practice. Sheesh!

Sirgod

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2004, 12:14:43 am »
Yep they are very expensive. at the time I had my DoJo The tax number is the only thing that saved me. When I went to Century MA, there in DelCity, I bought almost 5k worth of stuff, but got a discount because of opening a new buisness account with them. Of course that was back around '95.

all the same, I'll check with a buddy up in Tulsa, He may still have some of my old MA training stuff, Pads, Kickshields, etc, That you can use.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2004, 12:18:30 am »

ActiveX

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2004, 12:19:44 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2004, 12:24:42 am »

kidding aside, It's been twenty years since I've practiced regularly, and my injuries will prevent me from using my favorite techniques. On top of that SirGod said he used to own a Dojo. I used to be an 7th Blue belt in Jhoon Rhee's original style of TKD. I don't think he has anything to worry about in the Dojo abuse department.

Sirgod

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2004, 12:25:22 am »
Hey I'm your guy. Hell I need to get some practice back in anyway. We can even Get Brother Mush up here also. He's pretty quick on his feet actually.  that Is If we can Pry him away from His Oil and Cows.  

Stephen

Sirgod

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:17 am »
Jhoon Rhee was a pretty cool guy, He used to teach Presidents at one time, and also Congress IIRC. He used to be in just about every other MA Magaizine around.

I studies TKD back when I was a kid, But I mostly practiced JKD over the last 10-12 years. Heck You've seen me though, I'm Built more like Joe Lewis rather then Bruce , Ted, etc.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:47 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2004, 12:31:00 am »
Quote:

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2004, 12:31:51 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Stephen  

The Crew...plus One

Toasty0

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2004, 12:34:39 am »
Quote:

hehehehe..

Stormbringer

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2004, 12:36:28 am »
Quick on his feet, eh. Nah, we don't need him. At least not until I practice up a bit. Of the 6 kata's needed to qualify for the belt I wear I can perform only the first (Chun ji) and part of the second (Tan Gun). My stances, footwork, speed and endurance suck, and the techniques are more likely to injure me than any opponent. Thats why I'm looking into converting an unused room into a semi-private dijoo-exercise room.

Sirgod

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2004, 12:42:41 am »
Oh wow, I an recall Chun Ji, Wrist's too the Right side, left punch, Rotate, again punch, etc. Following Compass points I believe.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2004, 12:45:05 am »
Quote:

Already there...

Sirgod

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2004, 12:47:44 am »
That's right, I forgot you where in Vegas. My In-laws lived there for along time, Like 22 years.

Seriously, If I can ever afford It, I'd love to make the trip back out there, esp. since the Borg invaded the Hilton.  

stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2004, 12:48:55 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2004, 12:51:00 am »
Well , that's probably a good thing, His grand Kids would Probably run you over. I've seen the film of there Driving.  

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:41 am »
That's why I remember it. (Don't look at my stances though. They are no longer automatic.) And don't tell the old form names to Jhoon Rhee's new students (international style) thy use the Olympic Tae guek katas. They don't use the same katas or the same rank system. (Blue belt? What's that? You made that up!)

ActiveX

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:56 am »
You should see me eastbound on the 215, sofar I've gotten to 110 mph in moderate traffic...

Sirgod

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2004, 01:03:43 am »
LOL, I can remember when all the Controversy over Belt testing was a big thing. alot of people Claimed It was just away to make more money for the Instructors. I have no idea if that's still the case or not these days, It's been along time ago, since I lloked at Rigid forms of MA.  

hehe, ActiveX I wish I would have known you a few years back, We used to live in Knigman AZ.

As a matter of fact, the year we lived there, I used to always be asked, Why did you move to Kingman from Oklahoma?

after awhile, and to be left alone, I perfected the one word answer... "revenge"

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2004, 01:09:04 am »
Many Dojos are so commercialized now and altered to sports goals more than defense and spiritual development  that I think the argument is mostlydead. Now advertisements in martial arts magazines offer a career in owning a dojo even if you do not know martial arts. (I actually saw this somewhere.) There are few good dojos, sifus,   shidoshis or instructors  left if this is true.

ActiveX

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2004, 01:11:48 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2004, 01:34:56 am »
I was one of the first sifu's to actually do a Pay by day basis. No Contracts at all, as I had been raped with those growing up. every now and again, I'll get a call for a few Private lessons, But after the Necro crap, and my shoulder Being broke, It's been along time since i've been able to do any serious teaching.

I do have to admit this Conversation between us has Raised my old teaching Blood though.

Hehe, It would be funny If us old Fart Star Trek Fans decided to enter a tourney and win.

Heck ActiveX, Don't sweat, your just a few years younger then my step son. He's only 22 actually, So you would have been gold. as a matter of fact, Nathan was one of my student's and that's how I met his mother , my current wife.

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2004, 02:09:11 am »
Im thinking about having another go at the military, see if they will go fer it...

Sirgod

« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2004, 10:56:44 am »

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2004, 10:59:43 am »

JMM

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2004, 12:27:26 pm »
Make SURE you get the college fund in addition to the basic G.I. Bill, Active, you will NOT regret it when you exit and go to college. You do not even have to exit to use it, I knew many people at DeWitt Army Hospital who were attending college full-time, collecting their G.I. Bill and getting their active duty pay! Sweeeeeet! Plus an education to boot!    

ActiveX

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2004, 12:37:25 pm »

JMM

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2004, 10:13:25 pm »
Well, still make sure you get a good MOS where you have some time to get an education, even without the G.I. bill, the military still helps active duty soldiers with college expenses, at least they did in 91-94 when I was at DeWitt hospital after gulf war. Man, MEDDAC was so great! I missed the CAV units, but I preferred looking at and being around all the women, patients and workers alike! Also, co-ed barracks rock!    

ActiveX

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2004, 01:36:46 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »

stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:30 pm »

JMM

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2004, 07:32:32 am »
What route you gonna go Active? You have a degree, going to give being an officer a go? Or go enlisted and apply for OCS? Army or Air Force? Stay away from Navy and Marines, too much deployment time IMO. You already been there and done that.

Being an ex 91B, might I suggest the medical field? You get a good clinic or hospital duty assignment, I guarantee you will be going to school while serving. If you fo enlisted as a 91B, and you have the required core classes, apply for P.A. school (physician assistant), big demand in the civilian world for them. You have the power of a doctor, but are not exactly a doctor, but you are above a nurse.  

BTW, Ft. Sam Houston is in San Antonio, you'll LOVE it, Riverwalk, so many places to go to and things to do. You have the beach only two 1/2 hours away, Mexico 2 1/2 hours away, and Austin is 1 1/2 hrs away. School there? You'll learn A LOT, but it is also one big party place too! Beware the "meat market" on post, hehehehehehehehehehehe.  

ActiveX

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2004, 08:17:34 am »

I could be airborne or anywhere I'd want, I'll prolly go fer an AWACs eventually...

SL-Punisher

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2004, 08:23:28 am »
Little chance of AWACS aircraft being phased out...so it's definatly a growth area

The only problem I see is reduction of controllers on the aircraft due to improvements in computer processing.

Stormbringer

« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2004, 06:08:40 pm »

ActiveX

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2004, 07:43:46 pm »
Quote:

Stormbringer

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2004, 10:22:14 pm »
Radar Love. I told you "Mister Squinty  " that if you kept that up you'd go blind.

Stormbringer

progress report
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2004, 11:20:22 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2004, 11:48:33 pm »

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2004, 11:51:53 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2004, 11:58:00 pm »

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2004, 12:02:07 am »

The_Joker

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2004, 01:29:37 am »

JMM

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2004, 09:14:06 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2004, 08:17:25 pm »

Stormbringer

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2004, 08:19:45 pm »

Capt. Mike

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2004, 09:27:30 am »

Mike

JMM

« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2004, 10:59:16 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2004, 11:17:33 am »

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2004, 06:27:17 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2004, 08:31:35 pm »

Quote:

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2004, 03:04:47 pm »

The Postman

« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2004, 03:19:46 pm »
Quote:

stephen  

Stormbringer

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2004, 12:11:21 am »

Potential Home

Toasty0

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2004, 12:15:01 am »

Best,
Jerry  

Stormbringer

« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2004, 12:18:38 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2004, 12:21:56 am »
Quote:

Potential Home

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2004, 12:34:04 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2004, 12:37:01 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2004, 04:12:17 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2004, 04:16:47 pm »

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2004, 04:24:17 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2004, 11:48:08 pm »

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2004, 11:53:45 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2004, 12:14:43 am »

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2004, 12:18:30 am »

ActiveX

« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2004, 12:19:44 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2004, 12:24:42 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2004, 12:25:22 am »

Stephen

Sirgod

« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:17 am »

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:47 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2004, 12:31:00 am »
Quote:

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2004, 12:31:51 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Stephen  

The Crew...plus One

Toasty0

« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2004, 12:34:39 am »
Quote:

hehehehe..

Stormbringer

« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2004, 12:36:28 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2004, 12:42:41 am »

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2004, 12:45:05 am »
Quote:

Already there...

Sirgod

« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2004, 12:47:44 am »

stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2004, 12:48:55 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2004, 12:51:00 am »

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:41 am »

ActiveX

« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:56 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2004, 01:03:43 am »

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2004, 01:09:04 am »

ActiveX

« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2004, 01:11:48 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2004, 01:34:56 am »

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2004, 02:09:11 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2004, 10:56:44 am »

Stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2004, 10:59:43 am »

JMM

« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2004, 12:27:26 pm »

ActiveX

« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2004, 12:37:25 pm »

JMM

« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2004, 10:13:25 pm »

ActiveX

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2004, 01:36:46 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »

stephen

ActiveX

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:30 pm »

JMM

« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2004, 07:32:32 am »

ActiveX

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2004, 08:17:34 am »

SL-Punisher

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2004, 08:23:28 am »

Stormbringer

« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2004, 06:08:40 pm »

ActiveX

« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2004, 07:43:46 pm »
Quote:

Stormbringer

« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2004, 10:22:14 pm »