Topic: progress report  (Read 20746 times)

Stormbringer

progress report
« on: March 04, 2004, 11:20:22 pm »
Approval for VA loan to 100K is in the pipeline. I don't want more at the moment because when I complete my vocational training I will be able to custom build a home at ridiculous price levels. This was meant to provide a small functional home during school.

On the down side the electrician's apprenticeship program in OKC only had five ascessions last year. The odds for getting on the early gravy train there are pretty bad. I can either try at all regional centers in the surrounding states or knuckle down and use the GI Bill and maybe get a throw away job until there are openings.  I was looking forward to appretice pay, pocketing the GI bill and drawing pension at the same time. It might happen that way but it is looking bleak on that front.

Sirgod

Re: progress report
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 11:48:33 pm »
man I I hope It does work out, as I just got a notice from another Forum member that he might be moving to Tinker AFB. I was hoping that we could all get together, and have a Think tank kinda thing going on.

But hey Storm, I understand That you gotta take care of Number one, and I know I'll see you at least one more time, Because I have your books.  

Seriously, If I can help in any way, Please let me know. your one of the best Friends I've met in along long time.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 11:51:53 pm »
Depending on the level of ascessions in other regional centers it may not be worth my time to move elsewhere either. Is there an acredited vo-tech program in the metro area that you know of? or in norman?  

Sirgod

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 11:58:00 pm »
i'll be more then happy to check both Norman, and stillwater tomorrow. I'll even check out edmond, Because I know of one or two colleges there, that mainly deal with secondary Vo-tech/University studies.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 12:02:07 am »
See, the weak ascession numbers only mean that I can't count on apprentice pay and free training not that I cannot proceed with my plan. I would still be in the potential apprentice pool for two years at a whack. Just have to live less large than I would like is all.

The_Joker

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 01:29:37 am »
Arkansas Tech is about an hour west of the boarder on I-40.  

JMM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 09:14:06 am »
Storm, glad to see you posting and taking advantages of your benefits for service to the United States of America.  

Carpentry, another great trade, you and EE can go out there and build houses, the I-35 corridor is HOT territory as you know! If only we could get those darn illegals out so the wages go UP again instead of DOWN. One of my brothers is a carpenter and general construction, been in the business his whole life (30 plus years), he is having trouble finding a job in Texas because of the wages and illegals.

Joker has a great point, you gotta get moving and if you have to drive, well, you are retired now, you got nothing but time and the "can do" attitude. My sister by my stepdad's marriage to my mom, she is a nurse at the VA hospital in Temple. She was in your position, U.T. and ACC in Austin had two year waiting lists. But Temple/Waco area had immediate openings, so she drove from Georgetown to Temple/Waco area almost every day. Was it worth it? Well, she got her degree and has been working for VA for ten years plus, so yeah, I would dare to say that she would vouch it was well worth it.

You get that assoc. degree in carpentry, you get preference on Federal construction projects as well!   Though I will warn you, having been a VA work study in my college days after the army, Vietnam vets get preference over EVERYBODY, which is all good, we had a decent homecoming when we got back to Germany after DS part one, and the American based soldiers? Wow, wish I was there! The Vietnam vets? Got spat on and badmouthed and treated like manure.   They deserve hiring preference, IMHO.

BTW, be sure to take before and after pics of your new home, I know you will be using your skills to remodel. I've been taken pics of the house in Mexico and I plan on creating a homepage and using some before and after pics myself.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 08:17:25 pm »
Yeah. I'm most likely not going to be raking in the money like I thought for a few years but I'm still going to put in a 3000 dollar spa/-tub. I have to crowbar my A$$terisk into standard sized ones and can cause water damage after one attempt to wash my hair or arms. So a new bath will most likely be my first remodel whereever I go. And I have my mind set on a laurel mountain Windsor model. might as well go all the way.

Stormbringer

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 08:19:45 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.  

Capt. Mike

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 09:27:30 am »
The biggest problem for a military retiree, even a Viet Nam vet (as I am)...if you retire from the military, you are not a vet until your 30 year obligation (time from 20+ years to 30) is completed..it kinda sucks, which is why I took a contractor job rather than civil service.

Went over 30 in Feb, and I am casting around...tired of NE, and would like to move back east.

Storm, the biggest problem with retirement..you tend to stay in one place to GD'd long...at least the military moved you around and leavened the loaf.

Mike

JMM

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 10:59:16 am »
Who came up with that BS Capt. Mike? I thought when you retire, YOU RETIRE? The only thing I knew about was if you signed up for less than 8 yrs, you still were on call for a total of 8 years (active duty time included of course).

You need not look at only civil service jobs. In Texas, veterans who take a state job get their military time (portions, not the whole enchilada), added to their state time worked for retirement after 5 years of continuous service, not a bad deal at all, especially since you cannot collect retirement from military and civil service anymore even if you served long enough in civil service to retire (double dipping), it was that way in the old days (man, the baby boomers had it made, eh?). You can however, collect military retirement and state retirement!    

Sirgod

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 11:17:33 am »
Does the postal Service offer the same thing? I know they have a preferance for Hiring Vet's, But I'm not sure If they give Time in like other State jobs.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 06:27:17 pm »
Web searches turned up Votechs in Moore, Norman, Edmund, OKC Metro area, Ada, Shawnee, Stillwater and others. There is also one in Lawton-Ft Sill. The Metro-tech (OKC) has a residential tuition price per 600hrs of 650 to 750 dollars. Max Montgomery GI Bill draw per month is 900 dollars (+) per month. That means I can use the totality of my pension for other things like running a household, etc. The trouble is; the hands on portion is not fully supported. That is once the curriculum is finished there is about 3200 hrs of grunt work before you can take the journeyman certification. On the bright side, I might be able to concurrently swing the carpentry training. So I plan to sign on at several union centers and then enroll while waiting in the union apprenticeship queue. That way if I get selected for the apprenticeship program I just start pocketing the rest of the GI Bill money; otherwise I continue to suck up the loss. Projected increase in demand for electricians is 7 to 10 percent in the immediate area of OKC. The question is if I want a job to supplement my income while in school or not. I certainly wouldn't mind more money, but I value my free time pretty heavily. Hmmmmmm.

At this point I ask the remaining union electricians still forum members for advice on the VO-tech Route and how to best find the work toward journeyman as a no experience ronin apprentice.  

Sirgod

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 08:31:35 pm »

Quote:

At this point I ask the remaining union electricians still forum members for advice on the VO-tech Route and how to best find the work toward journeyman as a no experience ronin apprentice.

Stephen Nominates this as the best use of the word Ronin for the Month.  

Damn, Jerry, I love the way you think Bro.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 03:04:47 pm »
I actually forgot to check on when classes begin. D'oh.  

The Postman

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 03:19:46 pm »
Quote:

Does the postal Service offer the same thing? I know they have a preferance for Hiring Vet's, But I'm not sure If they give Time in like other State jobs.

stephen  

I am not sure about retirement, but I do know your time in counts towards benefits. If you would like I can get a better answer tomorrow.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 12:11:21 am »
A house I'm thinking about buying for while I'm in school can be found here:  

Potential Home

I't is amazing how cheap some houses are here. In some places this would be a 6 digit home. This would become a rental property after I finish my training.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 12:19:49 am by Stormbringer »

Toasty0

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2004, 12:15:01 am »
64,000 for a 64 year old, 1461 sq foot house.

Hmmmm...I think for the area they may be asking for a bit too much. Offer 57,000.

Best,
Jerry  

Stormbringer

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 12:18:38 am »
On the down side it has one bathroom and a small .14 acre) lot. I have not yet been to the property to see condition or layout.

Sirgod

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 12:21:56 am »
Quote:

A house I'm thinking about buying for while I'm in school can be found here:  

Potential Home

I't is amazing how cheap some houses are here. In some places this would be a 6 digit home. This would become a rental property after I finish my training.  

If you have an Adress , I'd be happy to Check It out for You Storm.

stephen