Topic: A final thought on Taldren  (Read 31039 times)

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Re: A final thought on Taldren
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2004, 10:13:50 am »
Bah!  I read the whole thing.  You all just want to paint him with the traitor brush because he has an opinion you don't agree with.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2004, 10:45:11 am »
Bah!  I read the whole thing.  You all just want to paint him with the traitor brush because he has an opinion you don't agree with.

Um, not all of us. (recheck my posts) - Unless you just meant "you all" in general and not literally...

Offline AgentSloan

• Section 31 Head
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Leader of Section 31
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2004, 12:57:17 pm »

Traitor brush,...?

No.
I fact I'm being quite civil about the whole thing.
In my opinion, Harlequin is not being reasonable.

The original SFC II: EAW was shipped with an incomplete "multi-player" function?
Right?

D2, meaning "Dynaverse 2: ".... right?

If so, Taldren patched it right.

Additionally along came SFC: OP.
SFC: OP had a "Dynaverse" thing did it not?

Take care, :)
GeneralWolfe

Offline AgentSloan

• Section 31 Head
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Leader of Section 31
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2004, 12:58:07 pm »

Traitor brush,...?

No.
In fact I'm being quite civil about the whole thing.
In my opinion, Harlequin is not being reasonable.

The original SFC II: EAW was shipped with an incomplete "multi-player" function?
Right?

D2, meaning "Dynaverse 2: ".... right?

If so, Taldren patched it right.

Additionally along came SFC: OP.
SFC: OP had a "Dynaverse" thing did it not?

Take care, :)
GeneralWolfe

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2004, 06:59:36 pm »
I wonder how fair the comparison is between Taldren and Bioware? The D&D license is going to bring more money to the table and hence more money to development. IIRC the patches for SFC2 were pretty much funded by the developmwnt of OP. IF there were no money for the development of OP there would have been no money for the EAW patches. Is that right and ethical? Could there have been better situations? We all know the answer is "yes" but money doesn't grow on trees or come out of people's asses. Is this an excuse for Taldren? Its as much an excuse for Taldren as it is for any other business.

Offline Tantalus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2004, 08:28:23 pm »
Taldren were/are a damn fine company that stuck their necks out on the line for their customers often enough.  They were always available to answer questions and help the community grow, and I have nothing but the upmost respect for them all.

EAW was released with bugs because their publisher rushed it out, and Taldren despised Interplay for what they did.  So much, in fact, that I had an email from Erik himself asking me not to put Taldren's and Interplay's logos next to each other on the SFC2.Net website.

They patched all their games after release... and patches are done in developers own time.  We beta testers were always eagerly awaiting Davids next build which was also done in his spare time so we could test it.

Too many companies that attempt to put the customer first go bust or have bad luck these days... it's a pity.

And to the original poster... you have the right to your opinions... and some of the responses you have received for them have been out of order.  But sometimes things are better left unsaid...

By the way... Hey all... long time no speak.

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2004, 09:55:25 pm »
OMG it's Tanty!
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!

SSCF-Rolling

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2004, 10:33:45 pm »
HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!!

oops.... wrong thread.  In fact, wrong forum!!!  Yikes!!!

Tanty?  Who's Tanty?  ;)

Oh wait!!!  I think he went AWOL!!

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2004, 02:10:15 am »
Ack sorry to come in so late...

So basicly...

A negatively oriented personality will see these lists as a sign of failure....for even having to fix so much...

A positively oriented personality will see these lists as a sign of success...for having the commitment to even fix so much...

So, what orientation is it if you:

See it as a sign of failure... but having the commitment to eventually fix so much? ;)

And as far as harping on the past goes, the thread is called "A final thought on Taldren"  a company that no longer exists in America, therefore there is only the past to discuss.  If it's an issue for some, perhaps those people should just pass on by this thread and go to a different one more to their liking? ;)

...and I think that is what happened.  In my mind Taldren reached a level of redemption.  They stuck with us far longer than they should have by any account.   Others as well helped in that regard.  I think KHOROMAG was mentioned.  There are many others as well.

However I would not be so harsh with Harliquin..I myself am a REALIST.  The past is real.  Our dreams are fantasy's.  This thread is a final thought but the summation should not ignore the parts that brought it to the sum.  If there are some who can't handle it maybe those who can't should pass this thread by.   Or pershaps the author should have retitled it KUMBAYA and we should all join hands and start singing...Now that's another part of the "glass" as well.  That was obviously not his intent.  One thing I do not like and it's this; let's not tell people to post because what they say doesn't fit our notion of things.  That should be a foul on this forum and a very serious one.  Everyone has a say.  We are a small community now and do not have the luxuary of intolerance.

===========================================
> The speed with which the fixes were delivered was in fact less that desirable, and many players were lost because of the time frame in which they came (personally I feel that too much time was spent on non-critical things like "balance issues" instead of fixes in the beginning, but that's my opinion).

Yes, its one thing not to ship d2 with sfc2, but its a whole new ball of wax when the game takes almost half a year to get playable and get the features promised.

Lets not forget either, they knew sfc was shipping broken and missing core features and did not alert anyone until posts started showing up on the forum soon after it hit store shelves. Now while from a pure cash flow POV I understand why they didnt do such, BUT its was still VERY dishonest and suckered many people in to pay full price for something that was worth, at best, half. And still then your paying them to be their alpha tester. Then some here you wonder why they went under? Many felt screwed per se and with just cause. They gambled if they could shift blame enough and 'try again' with a new product they could keep the losses of paying customers at a mininum. They gambled and lost. Out of everything this aspect of the mess really annoyed me.

> I think Taldren was manned by well intentioned folks who probably bit off a bit more than they could handle and were probably mismanaged a bit.  There is certainly blame for the various problems with the games, but I certainly do not believe that it was all "The Publisher" every time.  I mean they went through 3 publishers, all of whom had the same problems with missed deadlines and such. 
=================================================

...because quite frankly he states what many players were saying right after the release of SFC2.   I am adding my two cents becuase I DON'T want fiction to replace what really happened.   My own rank 10,  Ssazzix, a two time SL winner, was thrown off the Taldren board for saying those very things...perhaps not as politely.

There were many and serious problems with SFC2 when it was released.  I think they came in three general kinds...one was game balance, the other was just a whole mess of bugs, and the Dynaverse (the big PIE IN SPACE) was dysfunctional.   What a mess of spaghetti.

For an online player the game balance issues were paramount (no pun intended).  So I depart from Harlequin's own thread in that regard.  But HE is right actually.  From a business point of view online players usually only represent a fraction of the people who buy a game.  SFC1 sold about 400,000 copies and only about a couple thousand ended up online.  That's the fact.

However, I think we can see the confusion Taldren had in producing this game by looking at how their first release (as a company) effected the online community.  This game shines as a an online product.  Few other games can match it in that regard.  SFC1 satisfied both communities.

So what happened?

Within a month or so of it's release the Lyrans, most hard hit, were pretty much extinct as online players.   That was primarily because they had to wait something like 8 seconds to deploy their primary weapon.   Not to mention the fact that the ESG seemed to just float away when it was deployed unless you changed view or went overhead.   

The Gorns were the next to go.  It took us a while.  Since the point defense was bugged we couldn't starcastle anymore.  Drones would sometimes take two shots from a phaser one to kill leaving your capacitor drained and your ship rather defenseless except for plasma, an easy mark for a speeding klingon who swoop by, crunch a shield, H&R you then outrun your G or S from 6 clicks.   And THATS if you were lucky enough for it to work at all.  Tractoring an oppoenent and using our other big tactis was untinkable since most races could easily break kill  a tactoring Gorn at that time.   At that time we also had no plasma D's.  Most of our ships were dead slow because we had to carry all kinds of phony "holding costs" for no reason other than a few influential people convinced Taldren that THAT was the soluton to game balance, stomp on the plasma ships basically.   Heck I remember a few ROM ships couldn't even MOVE once they loaded and cloaked.  Who was alseep at the switch there eh? 

There was definitely a breakdown from the people who advised Taldren on the game.   Some influential people had "agendas".  I mean when the guy who is writing a tactics and strategy book for the game (SFC2) gets up in the main lobby and starts shouting "NO MORE FREE RIDES" in reference to all the problems they were going to heap on the plasma ships in the name of game balance, I think it was fairly obvious.  Thank god I never bought that book...after all what tactics was a guy who admitted he had "retreated" from an AI controlled ship in a "one on one" going to teach me or any other online player about the game?   Shame on you if he did...

Anyway no sense in going on for I will dredge up many demons better left locked away in a few million braincells.  Go to the readme files in all the patches and read between the lines.   One of the reasons why I started posting on the off topic forums and then the "hot spicey" forum is that I just couldn't stand it anymore.   It was A LOT nicer to argue about politics than it was to try to convince some people that things were totally screwed up.  After all I was just a player, no one special...to them. 

So Harlequin speaks the truth.   If one doesn't like the truth it's their choice to ignore it; close your eyes and tap your heels together three times  (Presto!  He is now a negative personality!)...negativity exists as well as positive things.  And sometimes they are imbalanced.   Sometimes it's good and proper to be pissed off.  There were lessons to be learned from what happened at taldren and SFC2.  They should not be ignored.  Taldren started as a company that seemed to be confused and lacking in programming talent to interpet SFC2 from SFC1.   Those programmers learned their trade over time but in this business "there is a tide in the affairs of men"...and it was too late.

I will miss Taldren.  In the end they began to listen to the RIGHT people.  Honest folks who had no agenda but just wanted all those great players we lost to come back and begin the good times all again.

Well.  The ball is in OUR hands now.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 02:38:36 am by Rondo_GE »

• Commodore
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2004, 03:00:29 am »
  Taldren is still around only in South Korea it is no longer an American Company.Taldren may start their forums up again sometime in the future.I know a little more than you for the reason of the California offices closing down but I won't say untill the certain source tell you himself.

Age I thought those reasons were given.  They no longer had any money to operate with.  They were subcontracted to help DEV Black 9 and got into a squabble witht he publisher who reneged on paying them cancellation monies or penalties.

Also Eric posted in the private forum that he really didn't feel there was much room left for small developers anymore in the states.    Seems to be a probable statement considering the same words were used by the CEO of Sir-Tech a few years ago.

The big boys are running the table right now.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2004, 04:37:33 am »
  Taldren is still around only in South Korea it is no longer an American Company.Taldren may start their forums up again sometime in the future.I know a little more than you for the reason of the California offices closing down but I won't say untill the certain source tell you himself.

Age I thought those reasons were given.  They no longer had any money to operate with.  They were subcontracted to help DEV Black 9 and got into a squabble witht he publisher who reneged on paying them cancellation monies or penalties.

Also Eric posted in the private forum that he really didn't feel there was much room left for small developers anymore in the states.    Seems to be a probable statement considering the same words were used by the CEO of Sir-Tech a few years ago.

The big boys are running the table right now.
There are still a lot of small ones up here though.

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2004, 05:01:20 am »
My own opinion on the matter (not that anyone cares I'm sure but it's late and I'm bored  ;D) is that Taldren was among the better half of game developers by a fair margin. Certainly others are more outstanding (it did take quite a while to get to those final patches and there were some serious bugs in the initial releases) but far more were worse, much worse in many cases. Taldren at least stuck by the community by continuing to work on patches and tweaking balance far past what any person could reasonable expect of a Game developer.

As far as the arguments that everyone's attacking Harlequin just because he is professing a view that is critical of Taldren, I don't think so. Oh there is certainly disagreement with his view but I think some of Harlequins statements have rubbed people the wrong way, in particular I think Harlequins comparison of SFC to NWN and his subsequent dismissal of Dash Jones rejoinder that NWN had it's own quite serious problems on it's debut is really why many are taking his views on Taldren with a grain of salt. Especially his dismissal of the problems NWN had by arguing that they were only minor and affected a few people. Using similiar logic I could argue that the fact that most people who bought the game primarily played singleplayer(myself included) so the problems affecting the multiplayer side and the broken D2(a few thousand players, a minority compared to the number of sold copies) aren't that important. I'm sure most would think that to be completely silly of me to do so however. Also Harlequins statement to the effect that Bioware has always delivered in the end appears to be hypocritical to many posters who feel the same way about Taldren who did after all patch both EAW and OP to a very high state of polish. I'm sure Harlequin didn't have any ulterior motives other wanting to state his position and he has every right to do so, it's just some disagree with said position and they should be just as free to state their position and seek to debate the issues they disagree with in a calm manner with  Harlequin.

I don't know how many games the previous posters have purchased and played. I have a great number of games from almost as many developers. So I have quite a few experiences with seeing how the industry deals with after-release support. From my own experiences I have seen both the heights and the depths which this support can reach. Almost no game is ever released without at least of few bugs or balance issues of some type, it's just to hard to catch them all or test every possible combo of variables. In some games though they come really close and the game is quite playable, most people playing it will never notice in any problems. Other games are unplayable in the initial release and won't even work till the developer delivers the first patch or third or fourth(BC3000AD anyone?). While many view this delivery of shoddy products to be criminal and compare it to other industries where shoddy products can get the company sued, this really isn't the same for most software developers (much less game developers). This is due to the fact that for the most part shoddy software is just a nuisance and not a potentially life threatening flaw like sub-standard wiring in a building or tires that easily fall apart.

Just to give examples of my two extremes, Blizzard has a very good reputation for good solid games and justly so for the most part (though this may be changing of late due to internal issues). You can pick any one of their games and find it to be quite playable and have few problems right after install without having to go download a patch. Other worthy mentions gamewise are Total Annihilation which is also playable and the developer Cavedog released quite a few patches that added additional content to an already good game, as well as Half-life which also has a good history of strong support from it's developer. For especially bad examples, take a peak at the initial start of the Battlecruiser series by he who shall not be named, talk about shoddy games. Or another game called "Pirates of the Caribbean", this game was not only renamed by the publisher but also forced out 4-6 months before the developer wanted to release it just to coincide with the movie release. Many of the original content had to be scrapped and a new main story written at the last minute to have movie tie-ins. It was so hastily converted that it still had artifacts and artwork shipped on the release that was from what the game was originally that wasn't even used by the current game not to mention being buggy as hell. As for after release support, the publisher not only didn't allow a patch to be released but also shut down the forums for the game on their site a few weeks before the game shipped. The developer (based in Russia) had to resort to releasing a "unofficial mod" for the Russian version just to try to fix the game over there. Only the fact that the game has proved to be highly moddable and that the modders are able to fix many of the bugs themselves has saved the game from suffering an instant death on arrival.

So really, Taldren was not by any stretch that bad when it came to supporting it's games. While it might have been preferrable to have received the patches in a more timely fashion and for less bugs to have been present in the initial releases of it's games, I cannot find it in my heart to condemn them when they worked so hard to fix those issues and continued working when many other developers would have long since stopped. For that I must thank them instead, for turning what, for me at least, was an OK game into a great game and a potential waste into a cherished possesion. ( I'm SO going to be labled a fanboy for this sentence  ;D )

OK, now that I'm done waxing poetic, I hope you all enjoyed my little essay.  :P

Edited because I forgot to use the spell checker.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 05:05:18 am by FPF-Jem »
Capt. Jem

• Commodore
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2004, 06:17:02 am »
My own opinion on the matter (not that anyone cares I'm sure but it's late and I'm bored  ;D) is that Taldren was among the better half of game developers by a fair margin. Certainly others are more outstanding (it did take quite a while to get to those final patches and there were some serious bugs in the initial releases) but far more were worse, much worse in many cases. Taldren at least stuck by the community by continuing to work on patches and tweaking balance far past what any person could reasonable expect of a Game developer.

As far as the arguments that everyone's attacking Harlequin just because he is professing a view that is critical of Taldren, I don't think so. Oh there is certainly disagreement with his view but I think some of Harlequins statements have rubbed people the wrong way, in particular I think Harlequins comparison of SFC to NWN and his subsequent dismissal of Dash Jones rejoinder that NWN had it's own quite serious problems on it's debut is really why many are taking his views on Taldren with a grain of salt. Especially his dismissal of the problems NWN had by arguing that they were only minor and affected a few people. Using similiar logic I could argue that the fact that most people who bought the game primarily played singleplayer(myself included) so the problems affecting the multiplayer side and the broken D2(a few thousand players, a minority compared to the number of sold copies) aren't that important. I'm sure most would think that to be completely silly of me to do so however. Also Harlequins statement to the effect that Bioware has always delivered in the end appears to be hypocritical to many posters who feel the same way about Taldren who did after all patch both EAW and OP to a very high state of polish. I'm sure Harlequin didn't have any ulterior motives other wanting to state his position and he has every right to do so, it's just some disagree with said position and they should be just as free to state their position and seek to debate the issues they disagree with in a calm manner with  Harlequin.

I don't know how many games the previous posters have purchased and played. I have a great number of games from almost as many developers. So I have quite a few experiences with seeing how the industry deals with after-release support. From my own experiences I have seen both the heights and the depths which this support can reach. Almost no game is ever released without at least of few bugs or balance issues of some type, it's just to hard to catch them all or test every possible combo of variables. In some games though they come really close and the game is quite playable, most people playing it will never notice in any problems. Other games are unplayable in the initial release and won't even work till the developer delivers the first patch or third or fourth(BC3000AD anyone?). While many view this delivery of shoddy products to be criminal and compare it to other industries where shoddy products can get the company sued, this really isn't the same for most software developers (much less game developers). This is due to the fact that for the most part shoddy software is just a nuisance and not a potentially life threatening flaw like sub-standard wiring in a building or tires that easily fall apart.

Just to give examples of my two extremes, Blizzard has a very good reputation for good solid games and justly so for the most part (though this may be changing of late due to internal issues). You can pick any one of their games and find it to be quite playable and have few problems right after install without having to go download a patch. Other worthy mentions gamewise are Total Annihilation which is also playable and the developer Cavedog released quite a few patches that added additional content to an already good game, as well as Half-life which also has a good history of strong support from it's developer. For especially bad examples, take a peak at the initial start of the Battlecruiser series by he who shall not be named, talk about shoddy games. Or another game called "Pirates of the Caribbean", this game was not only renamed by the publisher but also forced out 4-6 months before the developer wanted to release it just to coincide with the movie release. Many of the original content had to be scrapped and a new main story written at the last minute to have movie tie-ins. It was so hastily converted that it still had artifacts and artwork shipped on the release that was from what the game was originally that wasn't even used by the current game not to mention being buggy as hell. As for after release support, the publisher not only didn't allow a patch to be released but also shut down the forums for the game on their site a few weeks before the game shipped. The developer (based in Russia) had to resort to releasing a "unofficial mod" for the Russian version just to try to fix the game over there. Only the fact that the game has proved to be highly moddable and that the modders are able to fix many of the bugs themselves has saved the game from suffering an instant death on arrival.

So really, Taldren was not by any stretch that bad when it came to supporting it's games. While it might have been preferrable to have received the patches in a more timely fashion and for less bugs to have been present in the initial releases of it's games, I cannot find it in my heart to condemn them when they worked so hard to fix those issues and continued working when many other developers would have long since stopped. For that I must thank them instead, for turning what, for me at least, was an OK game into a great game and a potential waste into a cherished possesion. ( I'm SO going to be labled a fanboy for this sentence  ;D )

OK, now that I'm done waxing poetic, I hope you all enjoyed my little essay.  :P

No Jem.  I would categorize you as a person who has missed the point.   Oh, lets not just accuse you.  I have been posting since 2000 in regards to this game... and it is quite a common state of affairs.   So in that regard you are indeed a FAN.  Join the horde. dwindleing as is.

Bioware survives becuase their game engine is well done.  They will produice DragonAge in one year...maybe...and it will use that same game engine.  Taldren rewrote their game engine three times.  Thats is the fact.  Deny it if you will or better yet just miss the point...that is fashionable.

And now you must learn not to bring up Derek Smart...for if you do you have lost your cause and will be forever a thousand times cursed.   :)....   D

• Commodore
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2004, 06:42:09 am »

No Jem.  I would categorize you as a person who has missed the point.   Oh, lets not just accuse you.  I have been posting since 2000 in regards to this game... and it is quite a common state of affairs.   So in that regard you are indeed a FAN.  Join the horde. dwindleing as is.

Bioware survives becuase their game engine is well done.  They will produice DragonAge in one year...maybe...and it will use that same game engine.  Taldren rewrote their game engine three times.  Thats is the fact.  Deny it if you will or better yet just miss the point...that is fashionable.   If you don't want to be fashionable just go back and reread Harlequin's post.

And now you must learn not to bring up Derek Smart...for if you do you have lost your cause and will be forever a thousand times cursed.   :)...

uhh inside joke...sorry...

However I will not commit the same sin and miss your point.   (Even if you didn't quite say it).  The demise of this game had nothing to do with Taldrens competence or otherwise, but rather the legal problems surrounding  all intellectual property known as STAR TREK.   Those problems must be surmouinted to continue the game in it's next iteration I would think.  Sure Taldren worked hard to fix the bugs...they had a reputation to mend and at that time hopes of continueing their existence here in the states.

But let's just say Taldren had been more competent; what would that mean?

It would mean that we would have another two or three hundred people here on this forum, trying to figure out what we will do with the code once it is released.

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2004, 07:17:41 am »
Yep, I'm definitely a fan of the game as far as it goes. I'm ship crazy, whether it be a spaceship or an oceangoing ship of the line so any game with ships in it is guaranteed to get at least a glance from me and the fact that SFC1, 2, and OP all focused on the TMP era of Star Trek which is far and away my favorite era is icing on the cake.  :)

Been playing the games ever since shortly after SFC1 came out. Haven't ever had any problems with them, but like I mentioned I primarily played singleplayer, especially back then, and only lurked on the taldren boards on and off for 3 years before I finally started posting. So I know a good portion of the Taldren boards History, though I do have some large gaps from those off periods. Including some of the he who shall not be mentioned stuff.  ;D

As for missing the point, undoubtedly, I do it all the time unfortunately. To easily drawn off subject I suppose, not to mention going off on complete tangents and trying to make sure I don't say anything which will give anyone serious cause for complaint that what comes out is incredibly vague.  :-[

Beside, making the post achieved it's goal of giving me something to do and think on for half an hour.  ;D
Capt. Jem

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2004, 07:48:48 am »
As far as being a Fan of Taldren though, depends on what you mean by Fan. By Nature I'm inclined to see the best in people and organisations, and give them the benefit of the doubt. As well as endeavoring to be polite to everyone I can, (I'm even polite to telemarketers and am willing to listen to their full sales pitch before I'll say anything). So unless someone does something completely out of the pale then I'm inclined to be forgiving of quite a bit. I felt Taldren has done a reasonable job so far as most of it's games (by my admitably lax standards) go so I'm inclined with a favorable opinion. However I'm not one to go for brand name anything, my decision will always fall on whether I like the look/feel/taste/whatever of each individual product. Let it stand or fall on it's own merits.

I am not enamoured of everything Taldren, I thought their last game SFC3 was just average. Could of been a lot better I felt, too little substance, and it falls into the category of about 2/3rds of the games I own. That of interesting idea but not worth spending too much time on and of the "uninstall first if I need the space" pile. Ultimately just not my cup of tea.

Though I will admit I've never played SFC3 online so to be perfectly fair I have to try that before I render Full judgement, though initial trials indicate that it's going to be even worse than I thought possible.
Capt. Jem

Offline AgentSloan

• Section 31 Head
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Leader of Section 31
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2004, 10:16:51 am »

So Harlequin speaks the truth.   If one doesn't like the truth it's their choice to ignore it; close your eyes and tap your heels together three times  (Presto!  He is now a negative personality!)...negativity exists as well as positive things.  And sometimes they are imbalanced.   Sometimes it's good and proper to be pissed off.  There were lessons to be learned from what happened at taldren and SFC2.  They should not be ignored.  Taldren started as a company that seemed to be confused and lacking in programming talent to interpet SFC2 from SFC1.   Those programmers learned their trade over time but in this business "there is a tide in the affairs of men"...and it was too late.

Rondo_GE,

No, Harlequin has recounted events, and added an opinion.
Simple truth,....

there are single-player "people",
there are multi-player "people",

and there are the 3d starship modellers, and game modders,

If you are a single player person, one does not really have a problem to the same extent,
if one is a multi-player,

one had to be patient with the patches,

Not that the patches were only for the multi-player function, it is that the multi-player needed more extensive patching,

Thing is, you blokes had a game to patch,.
if one follows Harlequins route, one may not of had ANY GAME AT ALL,.

Food-for-thought,...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 10:21:53 am by AgentSloan »

Offline FPF-Jem

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2004, 02:57:16 pm »
 Taldren rewrote their game engine three times.  Thats is the fact.  Deny it if you will or better yet just miss the point...that is fashionable.   If you don't want to be fashionable just go back and reread Harlequin's post.

Hmm, somehow I missed this the first and second time reading through the posts. Which now that I think about it, isn't surprising, it was 5:00 in the morning when I read them.  :)

What do you mean by this? Is the rewriting of their Engine somehow indicative of failure? I certainly don't see it that way since as I said, I've never had any serious problems with the game (other than that memory leak after playing the singleplayer campaigns for a while but they fixed that pretty quick, patch 2005 I think, so it wasn't a big deal for me). A lot of game developers (if not most) update/add-features/change their game engines between games.

Harlequins point is that Taldren failed for delivering buggy and poorly implemented games, dishonest business practices, and taking forever to fix their games and so their closing of their offices should not have come to a surprise to anyone. I disagree in that in MY experience I did not find those games poorly implemented, or that they took forever to patch their games to a smooth finish (after they patched the memory leak I stopped checking for new patches for at least a year, perhaps longer, when I did check they were up to 2030), or that they were terribly buggy, or even that Taldren had behaved especially dishonest, in MY experience being the keywords.

However I'm sure others have had different experiences which will have colored their opinions differently from mine. Each experience is undoubtedly unique. "Facts" can be put forward all day long but ultimately most of those "facts" are open to interpretation. This is a discussision board so we should be able to put our opinions up for discussion, just realizing that those opinions WILL be discussed with by others and not always agreed with. When you get down to it, that's part of the fun.  :)

Edited for some obvious spelling and grammer errors  :-[
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 04:02:57 pm by FPF-Jem »
Capt. Jem

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2004, 03:56:41 pm »
This is a discussision board so we should be able to put are opinions up for discussion, just realizing that those opinions WILL be discussed with by others and not always agreed with. When you get down to it, that's part of the fun.

Preach on!  ;D

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2004, 07:05:34 pm »
mmm lets turn the wayback machine to a period of time several months  pre-sfc2 release for those who were not here.

All the following information, was at one time posted openly in the past btw, and I dint feel like dishonoring myself for breaking NDA.

WON pulls the plug on HOST the already existing DV.  Much of that code was married to networking code in the client.  WON had just been purchased by another entity and decided On-Line Gaming was not a good use of its bandwidth or server capacity. 

The server and network code had to be "re-written" on the fly to meet deadline imposed by publisher.  IIRC even Harry Lang (Paramount Liason) was sympathetic to the situation.  Prior to that, there was no plan to even make the server package public so a private individual or group could create an independent DV.  This unseen DV Server apparently was coded to work w/ robust Proprietary API (now owned by the new owners of WON btw) and perhaps could have supported many more players.  Other features were to be included that probably were tested, the black rectangle box in the DV was supposed to be the ad server out put,  there was supposed to be a separate PvP meeting place where players could interact and not affect the DV much like gamespy is now.  Gamespy stepped up to plate and volunteered to host a player matching service integrated to the game after WON's new owners walked away.  I tip my hat to them for that.

Taldren just drove on trying to do the best they could considering their situation.  As for the patching, they are a Company, they have debts, payroll etc...have to keep the lights and plumbing going too and in CA, that can get pretty expensive, so expensive they have to move to Korea to keep working.  We may not all agree on how Taldren initially patched SFC1--->3, or in what order our favorite nemesis bugs were squashed, but through the extreme efforts of Taldren Staff and other "Non-Compensated" individuals on their own time, many many BUGS have been dealt with.  David Farrell, Ken Yeast from Taldren especially...KMag, Firesoul, Bonk (sql blobs-nuff said ((sql potential for SFC is so intoxicating its hard to think sometimes)), and others I can not think of right off the bat...but you know who U R.

I am eternally grateful for the gift of SFC, I will continue until the Romulan Empire is the dominant Species in the Entire Universe !

That aside, I like NWN, but there are things I wish were done differently.  Given the massive budget NWN had during development, There were comparatively few bugs on initial release, but like all gaming software, a patch or two is mandatory.  But Kudos to BioWare, I look forward to partaking of their offerings in the future, but I do no think their CEO would eat dirt for failing to meet a deadline promised to bunch of fans.  That unique action by Mr Eric Bethke, sets Taldren apart from every one else.  Though the Microwave he sterilized it in seemed to me be a bit more toxic that the dixie cup of dirt.
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill