Topic: USS Monitor FCC+ Refit >>>>> Available for Download  (Read 28056 times)

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
Re: USS Monitor FCC+ Refit >>>>> Available for Download
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2004, 07:34:35 pm »
Actually Stress did his based on an early concept study model, those pics are the final TV model and the model is only about 4-foot long, the TMP model we know and love is twice that size, they're completely different models.

'What happened to the original 4-foot model next is anyone's guess. But now, thanks to CG artist and "archivist" Mark Dickson, here are some extremely rare behind-the-scenes photos of the miniature when it was almost ready for filming. Thanks Mark!'

from that page. You can see it is very different from the study model everyone regards as the Phase II Enterprise - that famous pic of the yellow model with the deflector and torpedo launchers missing
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2004, 08:08:14 pm »
You can see it is very different from the study model everyone regards as the Phase II Enterprise - that famous pic of the yellow model with the deflector and torpedo launchers missing

Yep, that's the one...  and it's the only one pictured in my book on the Phase 2 series...  which is why I'm wondering what the heck the deal is...  one would think that, if the Reese-Stevenses are hooked up enough to become "Enterprise" story editors, why wouldn't they have been able to find these pics?  ;)

(apologies to LS for participating in this thread hijack, BTW :D )
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2004, 08:10:49 pm »
judging by the info on that page it seems these only came into the public domain recently, maybe they were lying forgotten in some basement with the unsold copies of Bill Shatner's album. ;D
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2004, 08:12:34 pm »
Cool, could you send me the files (include the Korloev modification too if you can) I like to see how other people do modifications like this, most of my texture alteration work is fairly basic and it's nice to get some additional skills now and then.

I never noticed the Phase II had not outline on the regs, I don't like to use that font though as it's too similar to Microgramma which is the DS9/Voyager era font for a lot of ships.

I've already actually started modifying the textures on this one, done regs for a USS Sicilia and plan to add some weathering to the rather pristine looking secondary hull and nacelles, and possibly even swap the bridge out for the phase II style one on WZ's Ptolemy, maybe.

I actually pretend that Voyager, the Defiant, and the (hideous!) E-E have the normal Starfleet Bold Ext for the name, because I'm that kind of person. F*ck canon ship "asthetics" (or lack thereof), especially with First Contact. That pretty much threw the notion of "sane" vessel designs out the window. Eaves cannot design his way through a paper bag, as the FC Cube, E-E, and his designs for the next two films prove. (He apparently does a bit better with Vulcan ships as ENT proves [though I doubt that they are his and not Doug Drexlers, who designed the Surak from Season 1 anyway], but the other races stil bear his trademark "suckitude" motif.) For what it's worth, the art department has really lost in general after Generations. They don't give a sh*t about anykind of style anymore except "üb3R-f0cK1n6 k3w1," no matter how bad it looks. The bastards deserve to be flogged to death.

I miss Andy Probert and Rick Sternbach. :'( Atleast Voyager itself wasn't a bad design. :P

I'll try and email all the files to you by tomorrow or tuesday.
You can see it is very different from the study model everyone regards as the Phase II Enterprise - that famous pic of the yellow model with the deflector and torpedo launchers missing

Yep, that's the one... and it's the only one pictured in my book on the Phase 2 series... which is why I'm wondering what the heck the deal is... one would think that, if the Reese-Stevenses are hooked up enough to become "Enterprise" story editors, why wouldn't they have been able to find these pics? ;)

(apologies to LS for participating in this thread hijack, BTW :D )

Well, consdiering that the Montior is pretty much a Phase II ship anyway I don't think we've gotten that far off course. ;)

judging by the info on that page it seems these only came into the public domain recently, maybe they were lying forgotten in some basement with the unsold copies of Bill Shatner's album. ;D

;D
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2004, 09:00:02 pm »

If that were the case, then I doubt they ever would have been found--that's WAY too much clutter to sort through...  :D

I have to say that I personally don't mind the Ent-E, and that Mr. Eave's proto-Klingon-battlecruiser (http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/predesign/klingonretro.jpg)http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/predesign/klingonretro.jpg) is a damned sight better than ANYTHING ELSE Klingon we've seen on Enterprise, which admittedly ain't sayin' much...  ;)

(sigh, sooner or later, I'm going to hijack this thread far enough to violate the Patriot Act... ::) )

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Keep your Sword sharp...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • ...and your intention true.
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2004, 12:36:03 am »

Here's a wet dream: the Monitor design with TSP Connie parts...ohh yeah. :)

nice...

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2004, 11:32:31 am »
HIJACK!!!! ;D
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline TheStressPuppy

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • trekmods.com
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2004, 08:34:25 pm »
I hate to jump in like this, but that phase 2 model was a mock up for some trek exhibit in las vegas. The "True" phase 2 models construction was never finished, and it was scrapped when the show became ST:TMP.

I stumbled on pics of that model when i was looking for phase 2 reference on the IDIC page, and it referred to being built for a star trek experience exhibit some time ago. That model obviosly looks like a Phase 2/ TMP hybrid. In fact the only thing that looks any different is the nacelles. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but thats not the true phase 2 ship.

EDIT: sorry schtuppy for assisting in the hijack :D
I dont think l schtupp feels too good right now, about the thought of his model being bashed together with mine. I know i gave open permissions to bash away, but schtupp may not have. Also  Im not in any competition for "who builds the best connie model", I just built that ship cause i wanted to build it. Schtupp builds some damn nice models IMO, and we get together on occasion to compare reference sources. I consider him a personal friend, and i think it would be better if you plan on "bashing" our work together to ask in private 1st.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:57:19 pm by TheStressPuppy »

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2004, 08:41:01 pm »
It doesn't help the case for those pics, BTW, that they got the name of the guy who built the Phase 2 TV model (that half-finished yellow one ;) ) wrong--it was a dude by the name of Brick Price.  :)

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2004, 04:15:40 am »
I like both your models... awsome... oh and LS just looking around your website and YOUR WIP's look awsome  ;D

Now back to topic ;)

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2004, 06:24:10 am »
So, Schtupp, are you transitioning towards the TMP era now?

Nope its best to leave TMP to the masters.

Anyway I started a transition to the Steam Era where Im gonna try my hand at Steam Locomotive models for the Auren Trainz simulator. A Southern Pacific AC12 4-8-8-2 Cab Forward in fact. But Im not leaving here.

I'm developing a new TOS subrace, an unseen fleet of ships of which is mentioned in TOS. Top Secret of course, very hush-hush.

oh yea and I have a huge pile of unfinished models too of course.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2004, 06:27:19 am »
In case anybody's interested: This is a Phase Ib vessel, where it was discovered among other things that adding slight curvature to the secondary hull bottom adds .000000000000000132% to overall warp field generation efficiency.

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2004, 10:18:56 am »
That's nice, but could you make your Constitution model .000000000000000132% less efficient? LOL Look forward to seeing the top secret race when they're revealed, oh and the Antares if you finish it.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2004, 12:53:04 pm »
Odd - nobody has ever complained before about its "efficiency" even though that model's been out for over 2 years.

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2004, 01:29:55 pm »
LOL, I saw the bulge when I first d/led it but thought I'd be hounded as a geek for suggesting that it should be corrected.

Offline TheStressPuppy

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • trekmods.com
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2004, 03:41:23 pm »
Actually, That explanation makes perfect sense :)  Federation realized with the original config connie that they could get a slightly higher speed if the just curved the hull a bit more. Even the slightest speed boost could make all the difference. hence why we started seeing more curvy ships from the phase 2-TMP eras. Brilliant :D

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2004, 05:56:44 pm »

I've already actually started modifying the textures on this one, done regs for a USS Sicilia and plan to add some weathering to the rather pristine looking secondary hull and nacelles, and possibly even swap the bridge out for the phase II style one on WZ's Ptolemy, maybe.

That would look cool. Blanket permission granted on kitbash releases btw...

Mackie - Ill post 3ds as soon as i can...

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2004, 03:45:27 pm »
This ship is just TOO COOL.

I am currently using the Atra Endeavor as a fed CAI. I also cobled up a + refit.

I am going to fetch this model now.

Great work!

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2005, 08:12:43 am »
 :notworthy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :notworthy:
The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2005, 08:19:35 am »
WOW ..   almost for got about this one ...

Superb workmanship ...  from start to finish !  Something us beginners need to remind our selves of ...  to strive for excellence !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !