Topic: Angel slayer...  (Read 9797 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Angel slayer...
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 11:30:22 pm »

BURN THE BLASPHEMER!!!

You can never have too much Hard disk space.  (Posted from a machine with 240gb :))

Memory is something else.  There I suggest a minimum of 512 MB these days and 1GB (1GB=1024MB) if you can afford it. 

Only 240gb of hard drive space??!?   ;D  I have 400gb on my system, 440 if you count the backup drive that is setting in my desk.

I just bought a Seagate 200gb drive a while ago from Newegg.  The drive works well with less noise and heat than my old Maxtor.  Plus it has a five (5) year warranty, can't beat that.

That is only one of my three systems.  It doesn't include the 3 hard drives sitting unused or the drives in the 2 computers I'm refurbishing.  I pass the 1/2 terrabyte is I include it all.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 05:17:16 am »
 :rofl:  This is hilarious.  Guys, I am learning a lot, but reading back over this, I have to say:  This reminds me of the male argument that has persisted for thousands of years:   Mine is bigger than yours.
   I start with forty gigs.
   We have a winner with 400 Gig or half a Terra.
   Theirs are bigger than mine. ;D

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 07:30:35 am »
Lol, there's always the nostalgia element of "mine was smaller tha yours!"  :o The first hard drive I used was 100 Megabytes. I'm sure someone will beat that though.

I don't want to appear that I'm bragging but I'm still amazed at how good SATA hard drives are. I'll never go back to IDE ATA again, (although my primary drive is IDE). There are no jumpers to worry about, you don't need to setup the hard drive in BIOS, the ribbon cable is a lot less wide than an IDE cable, the power connector is easy to plug in and unplug, (I was almost geting calouses on my fingers trying to pull the old ones out). I just plugged it in and formatted it in XP and it was good to go! All you need is a motherboard that supports it. :thumbsup:
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 08:20:02 am »
That is only one of my three systems.  It doesn't include the 3 hard drives sitting unused or the drives in the 2 computers I'm refurbishing.  I pass the 1/2 terrabyte is I include it all.

Now that's more like it.  Although I didn't know we were talking about multiple systems.   ;D

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 08:23:32 am »
If you do much with audio and Video (in raw non-compressed and therefore no loss of quality form) you need a lot of space.  My system has a 120 GB "Boot" drive with the games and such.  I have an 80 GB D: drive where I tend to keep all my "old stuff" then I have the 250GB drive specifically for Audio and Video work I do.  Finally I have a 120 GB external drive for my MP3 collection and backups of pictures and documents.  I do realize that 570 GB is really overkill but it is nice to not have to "clean up" all the time to work on a new project.

GE-Raven

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2004, 08:35:10 am »
Lol, there's always the nostalgia element of "mine was smaller tha yours!"  :o The first hard drive I used was 100 Megabytes. I'm sure someone will beat that though.

I don't want to appear that I'm bragging but I'm still amazed at how good SATA hard drives are. I'll never go back to IDE ATA again, (although my primary drive is IDE). There are no jumpers to worry about, you don't need to setup the hard drive in BIOS, the ribbon cable is a lot less wide than an IDE cable, the power connector is easy to plug in and unplug, (I was almost geting calouses on my fingers trying to pull the old ones out). I just plugged it in and formatted it in XP and it was good to go! All you need is a motherboard that supports it. :thumbsup:

I'll bite:

The first machine I owned (not used) was a Korean-made (Daewoo; great stuff back then, for Massachusetts based Leading Edge... Model D2 to be precise) 80286 WITH NO MATH COPROCESSOR!!!  I tried to run Generic CADD on it and drawing something tiny (literally) took hours.  (Of course, I broke down, and spent the $100 USD then to buy the 80287; wow, it "flew" after that!).  Oh, what?  Back on topic?  Bah, hum... ah, er, okay:

it was a 30 MB MFM HD!  Tiny, or what?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2004, 08:52:28 am »
I'll bite:

The first machine I owned (not used) was a Korean-made (Daewoo; great stuff back then, for Massachusetts based Leading Edge... Model D2 to be precise) 80286 WITH NO MATH COPROCESSOR!!!  I tried to run Generic CADD on it and drawing something tiny (literally) took hours.  (Of course, I broke down, and spent the $100 USD then to buy the 80287; wow, it "flew" after that!).  Oh, what?  Back on topic?  Bah, hum... ah, er, okay:

it was a 30 MB MFM HD!  Tiny, or what?

Thats not old.  My first PC didn't even have a Hard disk, just 1 360k floppy - it was an optional component  :).

Currently I back up my important data by copying it across the network to all 3 machines which is why I maintain a high total HD size, 3 copies of all crucial data.  Periodically I do burn CDs of the most important stuff.  I'm considering a DVD-RW to make backups easier.

As long as you have enough hard drive space for your purposes your fine.  If that is 1 GB or 2 TB doesn't matter. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2004, 11:08:12 am »
My first home system was, really, a Commodore +4

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2004, 08:01:56 pm »
Get the DVD RW...it saves time and space, and you can convert some of your old VHS stuff (I did Yellowbeard recently, since it doesn't look like it's coming out on DVD)...

Narrator: The pirate Yellowbeard captured many other galleons, killing over five-hundred men in cold blood. He would tear the captains hearts out and swallow them whole. Often forcing his victims to eat their own lips, he was caught and imprisoned... for tax evasion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yellowbeard: She couldn't be your mother. No woman ever slept with me and lived.

Betty: When little Dan was two minutes old I tattooed it on his head.
Yellowbeard: Does he know about this?
Betty: Oh, no no no, that's why I kept him in the cupboard for three years. That may be why he's a bit odd with all these books, and reading, and stuff like that.

And a fave...

Dan: Look, if you cut my head off it'll start to putrify!
Yellowbeard: Do what?
Dan: Putrify, go rotten!
Yellowbeard: Yeah, it would ooze a lot, heads do. But I could live with that.

Mike...6 hard drives, from 20 to 120 gig..2 DVD RW..a ZIP, 2.4 GHz P4 and 2 gig of memory..and 4 fans to keep it cool..the more the merrier

Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2004, 07:04:07 am »
My Dad's first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 which I believe was called a Timex-Sinclair 1000 in the US.

The specs are as follows:

Integrated Circuits

* Z80A Microprocessor clocked at 3.25MHz.
    * 1K RAM, expandable to 16K, 32K or 56K.
    * 8K ROM containing BASIC.
    * A single ULA for all I/O functions.

Ports

* Bus connector for adding peripherals.
    * 3.5mm cassette tape interface for loading/saving programs.
    * UHF output for display on a TV set.
    * 9v DC power supply. Smoothed down to 5v.

40 key touchpad keyboard.

Screen Resolution

* 32x24 Text.
    * 64x48 'graphics'.
    * 256x192 Hi-Res graphics. (But see notes.)
    * Various overscan modes. (Since it's only outputting to a TV set.)

No colour "graphics" as far as I know. He didn't have any expandable memory so he had to make do with the 1K of RAM!!!

Beat that!  ;D
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2004, 07:20:00 am »
Only with a stick!   :D

We have come a long way...and have farther to go

Mike

Merry Christmas
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 06:41:11 pm »
Only got the processor to go, then I'll have my new system...hehe.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2005, 06:47:15 pm »
ANd, once Will gets it running, I'll post all the components on here so everyone can laugh at me.  Plus, the additional memory for this system is being installed that day as well, so both should be running good then. ;D  Happy dance, happy dance.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2005, 07:12:51 pm »
Hey Way to Go. Hoppfully You'll see Rabbits in New Vibraint Colors.  ;)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 11:06:22 am »
First of all, I want to thank WillWeasel for helping me by putting all the parts together on my new computer system.  Punsiher gave me the processor, (yes, the turtle finally made it up Will's rather steep driveway, via PunEx ;D), and Will threw in an old monitor he had as well.   I got her home, and fired her up.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIPPPPPP.   This  sucker is FAST!!
   You can compare specs to what it is replacing if you like.   Anyway, once again, I want to thank Will for assembling the Black Beast and getting her ready to roll.

Operating System   System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)   VIA Technologies, Inc. KT600-8237 
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache   Board: KT600-8237
Bus Clock: 167 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/29/2004
Drives   Memory Modules c,d
41.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
32.55 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-RW CRX230ED [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0   512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' is Empty
  Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 41.10 GB 32.55 GB free

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 10:52:16 pm »
Nice rig!