Topic: The Forge - Info and Feedback  (Read 106869 times)

el-Karnak

Re: The Forge - Info and Feedback
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2005, 10:04:48 am »
OH GAWD!!!!!!!   I forgot about the EEK dockyard raid....<wimper> please stop the pain ;D

A Z-DF and a Z-FLG have as much chance pulling off that mission, as say J'inn giving money to a charitable cause ;D

Here's the deal:  You only job is to take out 2 FRDs.  The mission is by design meant to make it really difficult to blowup everything in sight because it's an hit 'n run raid.  Just lock and load on 2 FRDs and take them out.  The mission will end when 2 FRDs are elimianted or capped.  Don't waste time because overwhelming reinforcements will arrive to eject you from the sector after X min.  The officer chatter will tell you at mission start up how long you have.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 10:16:04 am by el-Karnak »

el-Karnak

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2005, 10:17:55 am »
One was a "courier" mission- that seemed to be a fancy name for simply killing the enemy ship
(two planets in it, maybe I was suppose to beam someone down, but it ended when the AI died so..)

Other was called Patrol and one was 'Deep Space Patrol" (I think) that was me vs the Two Gorn ships.

Ah thanks, odd, I expected them all to be EEK missions, but you have indicated that one is simply called "Patrol" (either TG or ED).

For the EEK missions I'm pretty sure there is an explanation and it will stop in a few years. (could just start in mid...). No idea about the other one...

Perhaps with the next round of fixes I'll just start it in mid, to see what we get. I'm gonna work on the map and spares later today.

Send me a bug list and I'll look at any EEK issues when I can.  They are about a year old aren't they?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2005, 10:23:31 am »
Send me a bug list and I'll look at any EEK issues when I can.  They are about a year old aren't they?

8) Roger that, I'll start a list and send it along after there are a few entries.

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2005, 11:26:51 am »
OH GAWD!!!!!!!   I forgot about the EEK dockyard raid....<wimper> please stop the pain ;D

A Z-DF and a Z-FLG have as much chance pulling off that mission, as say J'inn giving money to a charitable cause ;D

Here's the deal:  You only job is to take out 2 FRDs.  The mission is by design meant to make it really difficult to blowup everything in sight because it's an hit 'n run raid.  Just lock and load on 2 FRDs and take them out.  The mission will end when 2 FRDs are elimianted or capped.  Don't waste time because overwhelming reinforcements will arrive to eject you from the sector after X min.  The officer chatter will tell you at mission start up how long you have.

Oh please don't misunderstand me. I think it's a great mission. It's just I haven't run in in a while and completely forgot about the little tricks you can do.  But then all that Overlapping cover fire from the FRDs and tractor beams make it a hard go for a Lil ol DF ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline KBF-Soth

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2005, 03:39:29 pm »
well here we go .....
1) To many planets
2)ED planet defence will not load,"waiting for other player"sits at top of screen locks up have to reboot pc tried with wing(live)same result both ways.
3)Karnaks (that we've noticed so far) Planet assult(cool btw)won't share prestige in co-op.Drafter gets paid not draftee
4) Played as Rom and now ISC...for all that is good and holy plz plz can you make rom ai not cloak.Pain in the arse in the extreme when your missions have a time limit,even worse when they're your ally. :P
5) Did I mention way to many planets? ;D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2005, 07:11:12 pm »
well here we go .....
1) To many planets
2)ED planet defence will not load,"waiting for other player"sits at top of screen locks up have to reboot pc tried with wing(live)same result both ways.
3)Karnaks (that we've noticed so far) Planet assult(cool btw)won't share prestige in co-op.Drafter gets paid not draftee
4) Played as Rom and now ISC...for all that is good and holy plz plz can you make rom ai not cloak.Pain in the arse in the extreme when your missions have a time limit,even worse when they're your ally. :P
5) Did I mention way to many planets? ;D

1) I just halfed the planets (again) this afternoon, new map to be loaded shortly.
2) Will pull mission.
3) Will pull mission (think I may have newer ones somewhere around here that address this - we worked on it for ages...)
4) ROFL... wish I could...
5) Yup!

Thanks for the report!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2005, 08:24:18 pm »
OK, map edited to remove another half the planets, news spam hopefully corrected, spares limited in serverside shiplist, changed to a mid start, pulled ED planet defence and EEK planet assault.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2005, 06:48:50 am »
Nice to see the news spam is gone with the cartel hexes added and the empire economies spaced out.  ;D

Oops, in removing the planets, (50%, twice) I changed hexes with the planets removed to economy of 10 but forgot the adjust the DV, so there wil be some high DV hexes out there with nothng in them.

Excel macro used to remove 50% of planets from text version of map:
Code: [Select]
Sub halfplanets()
Dim i As Integer
Dim oddstoremove As Integer
For i = 158 To 21749 Step 9
    If Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 1)).Value <> "Planet=0" Then
        oddstoremove = Int((2 * Rnd) + 1)
        If oddstoremove = 2 Then
            Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 1)).Value = "Planet=0"
            Range(Cells(i - 6, 1), Cells(i - 6, 1)).Value = "Economic=10"
        End If
    End If
Next i
End Sub

I should have added another line to edit the DV as well:
Range(Cells(i - 4, 1), Cells(i - 4, 1)).Value = "Strength=10"

Now I have to adjust the DV's thus:
Sub adjustDV()
Dim i As Integer
For i = 158 To 21749 Step 9
    If Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 1)).Value = "Planet=0" _
    And Range(Cells(i + 1, 1), Cells(i + 1, 1)).Value = "Base=0" _
    And Range(Cells(i - 6, 1), Cells(i - 6, 1)).Value = "Economic=10" Then
        Range(Cells(i - 4, 1), Cells(i - 4, 1)).Value = "Strength=10"
    End If
Next i
End Sub

Sorry folks, I'll fix this now, last testing reset for a while, I'll leave it be for a bit after this for some more feedback before making it final.

I partly wanted to post this to demonstrate map editing with excel macros, which is too cool, only hitch is that excel adds a bunch of extra quotation marks in the definitions in the beginning of the text map when you save the file, which must be removed in wordpad before loading it in Artifex for conversion to binary.  (thinking hard about a new map editor... started the groundwork...)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:02:11 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2005, 07:25:35 am »
Sorry folks, I'll fix this now, last testing reset for a while, I'll leave it be for a bit after this for some more feedback before making it final.

Scratch that, no reset, I just updated the live map with the following SQL query instead:
UPDATE maphex SET EmpireBaseVictoryPoints=10,  EmpireCurrentVictoryPoints=10,  CartelBaseVictoryPoints=10,  CartelCurrentVictoryPoints=10 WHERE PlanetType=0 AND StarbaseType=0 AND CurrentEconomicPoints=10
:smackhead:
707 hexes updated!  :o Man, there must have been a lot of planets...

Prepared an equivalent version in Excel/Artifex as well for the official start.

Edit: hehe, looks like Dizzy was in mission, (42,13) he won it and it looks like the DV went the wrong way, but it was due to the edit I just made to the map, I was afraid it might affect some players progress, but better to get it done earlier than later...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:50:21 am by Bonk »

Offline Pojo92

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • "Raise your hand! Raise your hand if your sure!"
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2005, 07:57:05 am »
On Deep Space Probe, one of my opponents started taking progressive damage set to the concussive sound of dust cloud debris hitting the ship.  Problem was that he was not in a dust cloud and the damage continued to mount even after he stopped and continued until he blew up.  (ANd no, he was not in an ion storm.  Shortly thereafter, the same thing happened to me.  At no time did any of my shields go down, however, even up tothe time I exploded.
"The Red Death had long devastated the country.  No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its avatar and its seal--the redness and horror of blood."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2005, 08:00:34 am »
On Deep Space Probe, one of my opponents started taking progressive damage set to the concussive sound of dust cloud debris hitting the ship.  Problem was that he was not in a dust cloud and the damage continued to mount even after he stopped and continued until he blew up.  (ANd no, he was not in an ion storm.  Shortly thereafter, the same thing happened to me.  At no time did any of my shields go down, however, even up tothe time I exploded.

Weird... I noticed something like that happening on a mission I ran on AOTK2, but only once... lemme know if it happens again, might have to pull that mission too...  :(

EDIT: actually, you didn't happen to be near a star by any chance were you? (does damage in the same way)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2005, 10:26:51 am »
hi. im pretty new to playing sfc online. i had my first online fight 2 days ago. was a fed. as i noticed the server was reseted. so i took a new charackter. but i accidently took the gorns although i wanted to be federation again.
is there a way to delete the character or to create a new account ? and if theres a way, how to do it.

ed :)
your sssship iss ssssoft!

Offline Pojo92

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2005, 10:55:55 am »

EDIT: actually, you didn't happen to be near a star by any chance were you? (does damage in the same way)

Nope.  No stars.  And, on second thought , I am not sure if it was deep space probe or courier.  It was one of the two.
"The Red Death had long devastated the country.  No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its avatar and its seal--the redness and horror of blood."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2005, 11:03:50 am »
hi. im pretty new to playing sfc online. i had my first online fight 2 days ago. was a fed. as i noticed the server was reseted. so i took a new charackter. but i accidently took the gorns although i wanted to be federation again.
is there a way to delete the character or to create a new account ? and if theres a way, how to do it.

ed :)

Welcome aboard!  ;D

You can create another character by logging into the D2 with a different gamespy account.

I can delete the character for you, I just need to take the server down for a minute... but there are some poeple on right now.

Let me know if you do not wish to create another gamespy account and I'll delete the character for you when there's no one on. (Torg I assume...)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2005, 11:04:50 am »

Nope.  No stars.  And, on second thought , I am not sure if it was deep space probe or courier.  It was one of the two.

Roger, just let me know if you see it again.

el-Karnak

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2005, 11:37:10 am »

Roger, just let me know if you see it again.

Check if there's a sun in the mission if it happens again. Getting near a sun will do this. Also, check if you can see ION storms in any of the missions.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:24:03 pm by el-Karnak »

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2005, 11:49:42 am »
klingon dont start on a planet  and are a long ways from one that i can tell from the map

Offline Pojo92

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
klingon dont start on a planet and are a long ways from one that i can tell from the map

Let yourself get killed and you are resurrected on a planet.  Take the Dockyard Raid mission, that'll help.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2005, 12:01:47 pm »
klingon dont start on a planet  and are a long ways from one that i can tell from the map

Which hex did you start in? (I want to equalise it so everyone either starts on a planet hex or not on a planet hex - as suggested earlier - starting positions are hard to predict on this map...)

Let yourself get killed and you are resurrected on a planet. Take the Dockyard Raid mission, that'll help.

:rofl: Cmon, they're not that bad, I've completed plenty in the past, you just have to be quick.

One could just self destruct in the first mission to come up on a planet - starting PP is 2000 and ships are quite cheap. But I do want to get everyone starting on a planet to equalise things...

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2005, 12:15:29 pm »