Topic: Darker Projects Enterprise F  (Read 20109 times)

Offline Jay1886

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Darker Projects Enterprise F
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
I think the next step up from the Sovereign design is a solid hull design, where hull, nacelles and saucer are one whole.

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 03:44:13 pm »
I think the next step up from the Sovereign design is a solid hull design, where hull, nacelles and saucer are one whole.

I can't see that as a logical next step - for small warships it is understandable, but not for large scale exploration cruisers that the Enterprises have always been.

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline Cromwell

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • These are the voyages...
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 02:37:56 pm »
I agree, the enterprise has always had certain elements to its design. if it changed too drastically it just wouldn't be an enterprise. It be a nice looking ship but not an enterprise. The design lineage really has a certain feel to it, you know what I mean? The basics of that shape is the beauty of it. I would dare say nothing posted so far is a fair successor to the enterprise. All very nice ships but in all the cases something feels off. (by the way I mean absolutly no offense to anyone with that statement as you are all brilliant designers and I love your work. Especially the soulwolf.) Just none of these feel like a true successor. I dare say we'd all attack the enterprise-j savagely if it had been more important to a series but since it was little more than talk and some ackward camera angles in a single episode anyone who likes it is happy and anyone who doesn't can very easily ignore it. Anyway, I'm ranting but I would love to see some great new ideas for a 1701-F come out of this.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:50 am »
Okay, not to keep dragging this out.. but I did a comparison of the ships in side views just to show a bit of the lineage.. I put in the NX, TOS, TMP, Sovereign, Soulwolf, and conjectural side view of the J (as done up on the Blender forums).  The J side view in the Blender forums was built using what details could be gleaned from the limited views shown of it on Enterprise.  Personally, I still see the Soulwolf as a plausible extension of the line if the development continued towards the J as shown in Enterprise.

Anyone looking to doing an "F" should consider the history of the ships, and incorporate elements for the previous ships, as well as adding something new and exciting.

I think that Chris did a fantastic job in doing that, and Tus' refit adds extra polies that smooths out some of the lower poly aspects of the original Soulwolf design and just makes it that much more plausible to me.

But YMMV, and to each their own..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 02:20:14 pm »
:) Reminder: Deadline for entry is 15 Jan 08.

Thanks for all the great discussion - I was surprised at how much interest this thread generated!

Whether anyone enters their design into the Darker Projects competition or not, I've enjoyed your thoughts.

Good luck!

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 04:34:44 pm »

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »
so you mean tomorrow, oh well theres goes my chance to design an Ent-F, wait i gave up trying to design an enterprise years ago. too hard to make a design everyone loves. I personally don't think the Soulwolf or the Century Class's are Enterprise worthy, no disrespect to either artist of course but it takes so much to build a design that everyone loves and even then you will have people who disagree. But good luck to all those that entered. Lets hope we don't get another bash like the Luna class

LOL... if you remember, the NX design was pretty reviled among many Trek fans.

The Soulwolf works perfectly as an Ent-F design for me - it's an excellent combination of the traditional Enterprise design and a paradigm shift in Starfleet ship designs that seems perfectly plausible in an era decades after the Sovereign. Personally, I think Tus' refit should be entered in the contest, as it would probably be the best and most sensible design that makes it in. A design doesn't have to be universally loved to be a good design.

But hey, to each their own. ;)
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 04:41:10 pm »
LOL... if you remember, the NX design was pretty reviled among many Trek fans.

Hey, whaddaya mean, "was"?  ;D

I do however agree with you here, Kieran. Atolm's Soulwolf class is just out there enough without going to far. It would be a great next step in the lineage. Gets my vote as the Enterprise-F.

The ship doesn't look so hot from fore/aft as she looks at the same time spindly (nacelles) and bulky (neck), but the other views are really cool.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline FleetCaptainFrost

• Master and Commander, Starship Challenger
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 01:33:17 pm »
Please forgive my necro-posting, but is there a winner?
So stand by your glasses ready,
This world is a world of lies,
Here's a toast to the dead already,
And Hurrah! for the next one who dies

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2008, 08:46:09 am »
I'll go over to the Darker Projects site on the the 1st of Febri=uary and check. The winner is supposed to be announced then. I'll give everryone an update here when it's posted.