Topic: Enterprise from the new Star Trek XI movie Picture  (Read 37488 times)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Enterprise from the new Star Trek XI movie Picture
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:32:19 am »
Well the Movie version is showing it's head.. here is the screen shot of the Enterprise under construction

looks a lot like Gabe's ship but until we get a full view of her, it may just be and enhanced version of the TOS ship before it's painted the thermal coat Grey.

Here is Gabe's ship from the front.

So what do you guys think so far?

Possible match?

To me the ship from the Teaser Trailer looks more like the CGI Enhanced version of TOS than it does Gabe's ship.. I don't think they changed the shipthat much just maybe added some details.. I believe they stuck mostly Canon concerning the ship. It does have a lot of Gabe's CGI Enterprise influenced on it.

Here is the TOS CGI Enhanced, you can see a lot of Differences (Enterprise from "Who Mourns for Adonais?" remastered)

and here it is from "Dagger of the Mind" remastered.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 09:51:43 am by Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
  • Galaxy Class - as seen in DS9
    • Chris Jones Gaming
Re: Enterprise from the new Star Trek XI movie Picture
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:04:17 am »
OK the Joke's over - where's the Real Enterprise?

This XI thing has the wrong font for starters. That alone trashes it for me. JJ, I hear, wants people to refer to this move as 'Star Trek 0' so new fans don't feel like they have to catch up = yea JJ, just forget about the past. Re-boot this! I'll not hijack the thread here with a Star Trek 11 rant - but suffice it to say that I plan to get 'Lost' on the way to the theatre when this gets released.

This Enterprise would be useful for a twisted Mirror Universe story of some type where things go radically different, not for a Trek re-boot. JJ needs a boot.

anyway.. carry on.

..Because the game does not have to, and will not, remain the same..

Celebrating Life!
Favorite TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
???

Even if they do do a reboot ala BSG- which they're I guess attempting, do you seriously think they'll keep the same font?
They'll be trying to gain NEW viewers, to have new kids look at the Enterprise and say 'It's a cool looking ship"
Anything (including the fonts) that looks like the "old" version (nostalgic as I am) looks really,really, dated.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:01:02 am »
Hey Chris ...

For some one who totes the expression, 'the game does not have to remain the same', I'd have thought you'd be more open to such a treatment. You're fussing over a canon font??? To each their own, I guess.

'Star Trek does not have to remain the same'

hm ... seems to fit to me ... IDIC, and all ... lol. Just sayin'.

;)

:D

JM.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:10:08 am »
Watch this.  If it doesn't get your blood going, then you are Trek old-man stogy fogey.

http://www.gabekoerner.com/ent/trekreel002.mov

Clearly, Gabe either knew the design and was riffing off it, or he was asked to do the original concept work and someone took it from there.  There is an extra level on the Star Trek XI ship below the bridge area, but we are essentially looking at the same conceptual framework with some tweeks.  I think it is great.  If you look as Gabe's stuff, it is really cool.  It's like a 50's/60's muscle car Enterprise.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:15:18 am »

That top image has me psyched.   It's a movie.  To make money.  What did we expect?

This is not life.  It's Star Trek.   I'll now be looking forward to further teasers.

Wonder what they have in store for Klingon and Romulan vessels.  ::rubs hands together::

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
    • Chris Jones Gaming
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:25:45 am »
???

Even if they do do a reboot ala BSG- which they're I guess attempting, do you seriously think they'll keep the same font?
They'll be trying to gain NEW viewers, to have new kids look at the Enterprise and say 'It's a cool looking ship"
Anything (including the fonts) that looks like the "old" version (nostalgic as I am) looks really,really, dated.

Not if they do it right. It would attract new and please the huge older Trek fan base. It can be done. JJ does not care. I'm sure. Too bad it's all about the money.

Celebrating Life!

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:28:07 am »

Thanks for that link Lep.

That was awesome.

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
    • Chris Jones Gaming
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 01:14:47 pm »
Hey Chris ...

For some one who totes the expression, 'the game does not have to remain the same', I'd have thought you'd be more open to such a treatment. You're fussing over a canon font??? To each their own, I guess.

'Star Trek does not have to remain the same'

hm ... seems to fit to me ... IDIC, and all ... lol. Just sayin'.

;)

:D

JM.

lol - It's a pet peeve. Example. I based the quality of the original Legacy game on how the TOS Connie looked. It was badly done.

Celebrating Life!

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 01:31:59 am »
Just to respond to Chris' comments on the Argus Array re the design of this Enterprise about the font.  Check this:

The font used on the new ship is just the same font that has been on every trek ship since TMP sans the red line and a white border.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
    • Chris Jones Gaming
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 09:54:22 am »
Understood - but this is not TMP.

Celebrating Life!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:49:32 am »

Agreed.. this new font appears to be something like Eurostyle rather than Amarillo.

And we're seeing a lot of TMP influence here.. aztecing and the TMP style lighting bridge elements.  With the amount of vapor around in the shot, it also looks like they're building in atmosphere.  Which they could theoretically do if they enclosed the drydock with a forcefield and atmosphere, but why go through that much trouble?

I am seeing more new BSG-influence here than I'd like as well.. so while I understand that they're trying to bring in new viewers, I'm along with Chris on this one and am now more expecting to see scenes of the young edgier Kirk having his butt in the air having nookie on a desk in Starfleet Academy.  Don't care for "edgy" interferring in a good story, and if they start going the whole "shakycam" route as well (which is why I can't and won't watch the BSG reboot), I'd probably walk out of the theater.

The thing about the series that they shouldn't forget is that TOS was about a new beginning and humanity taking baby steps into space.  "Seeking out new worlds and new civilizations" is there for a reason, not "Travel the universe, meet new people, kill them all and let God sort them out".  :p

The font is one thing, design elements are another, and wild deviations like building in atmosphere as opposed to vacuum is quite another again.  Just am hopeful that they don't go too far off the mark..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 04:00:36 pm »
Chris is a TNGer all the way but I would rather here more from Pest. on this.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:15:17 pm »
Personally, I don't think a ship redesign is necessary for the movie.. they should take the TOS studio model and fix it up a bit, add more hull details deck plating and such, remove the thermal coat grey and have bare skin (then give a reason for the thermal coat grey for the TOS series later in the movie)..

The ship should stay as TOS canon as possible, with maybe Older engines that TOS episode.. You have to remember there were 2 Captains of the Enterprise before Kirk... I know that the movie is going to have Christopher Pike, however they are mot mentioning the Enterprise's first captain.. Robert April.

Robert April had the Enterprise for 3 to 5 years before Pike.. Pike had her for another 5 years.. Kirk was assigned to the Ferragot during his early career after the Academy.. Then he got Command of the Enterprise after Pike got seriously injured near the end of the 5th year.. TOS takes place a few months into Kirks First year on the Enterprise..

So.. I would like them to show continuity to this respect as well as a down graded version of the TOS Enterprise to correctly fit the timeline..

Then all will be well in the Trek universe.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 04:47:32 pm »
Will they be havong the uniforms and side arms from the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" episode or later.

In the second TOS pilot, with Kirk as Captain, Spock isn't first officer.... Commander Gary Mitchel is. Spock succeeds Comander Gary Mitchel on his death. Spock is still a Lt. Commander well into the TOS series before being promoted, though is still first officer.

Also Pike's helmsman Lt. Kelso is part of Kirk's crew but is later killed by Mitchel at the Delta Vega Lithium Cracking Facility.

So when is the movie supposed to be set?? After or before Mitchel's death??

If it is before then Spock would be second officer.

It is another opportunity for the writers to screw up continubity once again starting with TOS eoisode numero uno!!

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline CC22

• Has been known to kitbash in the name of 'canon'...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »
It looks a beauty - has the lights around the bridge module like the TMP, infact the superstructure looks like a stretched out verstion of TMP, plus the pearlescant pannels and the fonts - ticks all my boxes thats for sure. Some of you guys cannot seriously believe that they'd stick up the original TOS ship for a movie they want to do well in cinema. Don't get so hung up on it - you say you are fans but you kick the franchise all the time even when its down, and moan like hell when they try and relaunch it. Its make believe after all eh.
"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the Vision of the World, and all the wonder that would be..."

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 06:41:55 pm »
Being a fan doesn't mean you have to eat whatever slop they hand out, smile, say thanks pal, and ask for seconds.

I'm excited to see what they've done, I may or may not like it, but I'll wait until I've seen it to decide. Now on to the ship.

Look at the size of the nacelles as compared to the size of the bridge structure. Either the nacelles a half as far from the bridge or they're twice as big as the originals. I'm interested to see which it is.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 06:51:06 pm »
We're talking about that ship form the Calender and art work book from a few years ago, right??

I'm just saying as I already have these picture in a book I had for my birthday last year. This isn't actually the ship that they're going to use.... damn let the cat oit of the bag...... sorry for ruining the wind up there!! ::)

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 06:51:22 pm »
You have to remember, in TOS the engine Nacell pylons are vertical, where TMP Enterprise the Pylons are swept back.. this was part of the refit to relieve stress from the secondary hull.. so yes, the TOS Enterprise, the nacells are closer to the bridge than the TMP Enterprise.. you are comparing TMP to TOS in your above pictures.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 08:06:13 pm »
TOS is the continuity break in the procession from ENT to TMP to TNG and onward.  All the ships depicted in those movies and series share consistent design elements that the original TOS Connie does not possess.  While I love TOS, grew up with it all my life, whether watching it the original reruns, late night on Public Television stations (anyone remember when local PBS stations used to have Star Trek on them??), on the Sci-Fi Trek Marathons, or Star Trek Enhanced/Remastered, it was a single show that ran for all of three seasons while there is over a quarter-century of Trek that came after it such that it far outweighs those three years no matter how good they may have been.  I have no problem with Star Trek 0 recontextualizing or even reimagining some things if for no other reason than to bring things into alignment with the other 25 years + of Trek.

You know, I was not aware enough at the time to know, but I am sure that many a Star Trek fan poo-poo'ed the Ent-D because it looked so different from the original connie and I still think the Ent-D looks like some Cracker Jack box space toy with its red and blue kiddie glowies (Look, Mom, it's glowy).  I further think that the Ent-E was the worst in abominations of Enterprise turned into some silly racing car.  It was the worst example of copying in letter but not in spirit the refit of NCC-1701 that appears in TMP.  The Connie refit is elegant, futuristic, and mature, whereas the Ent-D looks as if it were squeezed out of the slit-like sphincter of some alien that eats phosphorescent algae.  Please don't talk to me about canon.  That's long gone by the wayside.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD