Topic: Strange New Worlds Planetpack  (Read 38074 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: Strange New Worlds Planetpack
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 03:04:35 pm »
I, Mudd,

These models should be included in the next OP+ update Pestalence puts out. EXCELLENT work and Well done!

KF

Cant do that. This has to be a standard dyna upgrade because both the drafter and draftees need to have the same models or you will get vastly different missions. It has to be part of both the models and the No_models version of OPPlus.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 04:02:45 pm »
If that's the case, Dizzy, modifying the hardpoints on the stock models won't make a lick of difference, because then that model has been altered, thus no longer stock. You would have to have either one of these models I whipped up, or an altered stock model, either way, a no models mod would be out of the question, unless you know of another way to edit hardpoints rather than simply moving them around in a modeling program.

At this point, I think I should make it clear, that while I'm not opposed to seeing this pack included with such a great mod to be made available here at Dynaverse or wherever, I really don't care for the idea of posting this pack, per say, or any of my stuff as presented for that matter, anywhere but Planet Mudd for availability. However, mods like the one suggested are okay because that's really beyond the scope of what I do anyways and would sort of defeat the purpose of the Planetpacks re-hardpointing. So, If it's part of a mod, well cool ... that's understandable and I'm okay with that ...

... but If you are changing up textures and posting it, at say, Battleclinic, ... which I really more than half expected, ... well,  I'll meet you halfway if you at least have a little courtesy and post a shot or two of what you're doing over at my site, maybe with a link provided back to , say, Battleclinic, for downloading, if that's where you are uploading it to. Hell, if you are posting it for download, why not ask me to host it for you? It's a simple thing, really.

Folks playing with things like this, whether re-texturing or kitbashing, has really helped keep this community alive for so long. Out of respect for these modders, I have opened up a Mod Shop section of Planet Mudd, with the Scrapyard and Paint Jobs, for example, and these sections are open to requests, whether I build them or some other kitbasher does. I saw this as encouragement to all those guys to go ahead and have fun. All I ask is a few screenshots or display pictures of what you've done, and maybe a link to get it. Consider this a modification/update to the whole permission thing.

Just to be clear, I'm not picking on Battleclinic or anyone in particular, by any means, so don't take that wrong. The last thing I want is to stir up another hornets nest in the form of what I consider a 'dead horse discussion'. I simply see it as redundant to repost any of my work, as I have presented it, on another site other than mine.

That said, I'd also appreciate variations of my work, kitbashes and re-textures, acknowledged/recognized/recorded at the same place you got it from. Call me a completest, call me eccentric ... Call it a personality glitch or ego or  whatever, I don't care ... I just like things relatively orderly and centralized when it comes to stuff like this. Personally, I hate searching all over the place for stuff I want ... and Battleclinic, for instance, is huge and takes me a while to find what I might want.

I hope all that came out right and didn't make me sound like a control freak/model nazis or something. :P I'm really more concerned with having fun with this stuff, but at the same time, I like the idea a tidy community. I'd expect to find Wicked Zombie models at his site, and I'd expect to find Lord Schtupp's models at his ... not repeated over and over at other locations.

anywho ... in the paraphrased words of another SFCer, carry on.

JM.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 04:19:53 pm »
Coolness; Looking forward to seeing that!

:D

JM.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 04:25:47 pm »
...either way, a no models mod would be out of the question, unless you know of another way to edit hardpoints rather than simply moving them around in a modeling program.

FS and I both know this and we have already discussed it. His No_Models version of OPPlus would have to use 'I, Mudd's Planet Pack' as would his models version. Technically you couldn't call it a no_models version if it had a planet pack, but there's no other way to fix Taldren's 3D planet goof with a 2D battlefield. Both D/Leds would feature your planet pack exclusively. This is mainly a Dynaverse fix and as such will forever alter the missions and the game for the better. FS and I are only interested in a planet modelpack where every planet model has the exact same HP location. Every stock planet would need to be done as you have done to your test Planet. Basically we would be replacing them all. Furthermore, it's not my concern in seeing your planets be individually uploaded or downloaded elsewhere, as that is up to you and your wishes on the reuse of your models, rather, your work would be exclusive and integrated within the OPPlus shipslist D/Leds only and also available wherever else you intend to upload them. My concern, again, is only to have them included in the two OPPlus versions to replace the stock planets. I, Mudd, for a very long time, the dynaverse community has wanted to have this type project come to fruition. I hope you will help us.

I D/Led your pack and am impressed with the Atmospheric glow. Very cool! You say you are going to add illuminations? That'd make it even cooler! Ever tried colored illuminate maps?

Diz

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 04:52:37 pm »
As you describe things, Dizzy, I have no issue with that whatsoever.

As for the other models in the stock game being remodeled/replaced, for me to do it, it'll be a week or two, because of the logistics of moving and when my phone line for DSL becomes active in the new place. it's a rural area ... you take what you can get. :P As I have said, I have no problem with anyone else doing what they can to contribute, outside of some meager requests. That's sorta why I presented the Planetpack as it is. That won't stop me from making Pack II, but the good thing is they will be built on the exact same hardpoint template you came up with, so they would be perfectly compatable.

I used to use colored illuminate maps all the time ... but in the interest of filesizes I stopped. Textures make more of a difference to playability than polycount, believe it or not. The differences between colored lightmaps and black and white ones, visually, is neglegible to the game.

JM.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 05:24:31 pm »
Whoohaw! Thanks for the help Mudd. This will make a

If your time table is two weeks, then no rush. We need time to properly integrate them into OPPlus shiplist and installer. I'll need to notify FS too. My next server is slated to start trials next week so this project will wait for my next server after this one. So take your time. To tell the truth, I cant wait! These new planets you rehardpointed will rock the dyna!

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 05:48:14 pm »
If that's the case, Dizzy, modifying the hardpoints on the stock models won't make a lick of difference, because then that model has been altered, thus no longer stock. You would have to have either one of these models I whipped up, or an altered stock model, either way, a no models mod would be out of the question, unless you know of another way to edit hardpoints rather than simply moving them around in a modeling program.

At this point, I think I should make it clear, that while I'm not opposed to seeing this pack included with such a great mod to be made available here at Dynaverse or wherever, I really don't care for the idea of posting this pack, per say, or any of my stuff as presented for that matter, anywhere but Planet Mudd for availability. However, mods like the one suggested are okay because that's really beyond the scope of what I do anyways and would sort of defeat the purpose of the Planetpacks re-hardpointing. So, If it's part of a mod, well cool ... that's understandable and I'm okay with that ...

... but If you are changing up textures and posting it, at say, Battleclinic, ... which I really more than half expected, ... well, I'll meet you halfway if you at least have a little courtesy and post a shot or two of what you're doing over at my site, maybe with a link provided back to , say, Battleclinic, for downloading, if that's where you are uploading it to. Hell, if you are posting it for download, why not ask me to host it for you? It's a simple thing, really.

Folks playing with things like this, whether re-texturing or kitbashing, has really helped keep this community alive for so long. Out of respect for these modders, I have opened up a Mod Shop section of Planet Mudd, with the Scrapyard and Paint Jobs, for example, and these sections are open to requests, whether I build them or some other kitbasher does. I saw this as encouragement to all those guys to go ahead and have fun. All I ask is a few screenshots or display pictures of what you've done, and maybe a link to get it. Consider this a modification/update to the whole permission thing.

Just to be clear, I'm not picking on Battleclinic or anyone in particular, by any means, so don't take that wrong. The last thing I want is to stir up another hornets nest in the form of what I consider a 'dead horse discussion'. I simply see it as redundant to repost any of my work, as I have presented it, on another site other than mine.

That said, I'd also appreciate variations of my work, kitbashes and re-textures, acknowledged/recognized/recorded at the same place you got it from. Call me a completest, call me eccentric ... Call it a personality glitch or ego or whatever, I don't care ... I just like things relatively orderly and centralized when it comes to stuff like this. Personally, I hate searching all over the place for stuff I want ... and Battleclinic, for instance, is huge and takes me a while to find what I might want.

I hope all that came out right and didn't make me sound like a control freak/model nazis or something. :P I'm really more concerned with having fun with this stuff, but at the same time, I like the idea a tidy community. I'd expect to find Wicked Zombie models at his site, and I'd expect to find Lord Schtupp's models at his ... not repeated over and over at other locations.

anywho ... in the paraphrased words of another SFCer, carry on.

JM.

JM,

All work in the OP Enhancement Package is properly credited for all content (read the posted readme files I do above the DL link).. so you need not worry about that..

Dizzy is correct about it being added to OP + because of the Model.siz file and the shiplist.txt file.

One thing I could suggest is that Planets have Fighter Bays added.. what planet would not have defense fighters?

The Platet pack is an excellent idea and would be a fantastic addition to the OP Enhancement Package...

Taldren Stock would not be able to utilize anything except the Model itself, but OP +, and any future mods would benifit from it greatly (and Dyna servers).. and I can redo OP + Hard Core to include the new planets unless Diz and Firesoul plan to do it..

Anyhow.. let me know.. This does give the the Idea of Taldren Stock Enhanced for OP Enhancement Package for use with the EEK and NW conquest campaigns... I think I'll give it a shot and see whaqt happens.. I'll contact ya by PM to give ya first copy for testing and permission for release in the OPE..

Thanks. Keep up the fantastic work.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 05:59:56 pm »
I do plan to work with FS on this and push it out in time for the next server. I'd wait till I get it done, Pesty, cuz I'll have to redo the shiplist parts to take advantage of the new HPs. That will make it easy for you to include it in OPPlus Hardcore.

Fighterbays on planets wont work I dont think but be nice if they did, nor will drones because they are omni directional and pass thru the planet causing nasty collision sounds. Fighters, drones and such can be handled easily enough by a DefSat that is coded by the script and modded by the shiplist. The main thing is the equatorial placement of HP's allowing proper point defense and adequate Heavy Weapons fire. What I'm intrigued by are the tactor beams. They stop drones? Cool.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 06:10:04 pm »
One thing I could suggest is that Planets have Fighter Bays added.. what planet would not have defense fighters?

Well, that's really a matter of ShipEdit editing, isn't it? Do we know exactly which Dummy object in the model file actually supports fighter/shuttlecraft launching? When I did this, I moved all the dummy object to the exterior of the model proper, keeping the hardpoints aligned along the equator in the specific order Dizzy had outline ... but as for damage points and other dummy object I aligned them just above and below the equator, in case I had to make an alteration ... that way I wouldn't have to guess which dummy was which.

If Fighters/PFs/Shuttlecraft are launched from the center of a mesh, which would be catastrophic for the small craft due to planet collision, this is probably due to a default location, and there might be a dummy object we've missed to handle just such a situation. (Apparently, the reason the tractor beams are working is because, in order to hardpoint this, I imported a stock Starbase I think it was near the top of the models folder list ... might have been dsb ... not sure  ... don't remember ..., and used all the dummies from it ... )
If nobody knows for sure which dummy handles small craft, we'd just need to find a stock model that deploys these small craft from alternate locations rather than the default middle of the mesh ... sadly, right now I simply don't have time to research this ... as I am typing responses between filling up boxes ... lol.

Fear not, the computer and the TVs are among the last things to go, if I have anything to say about it ... lol.

And once again, if any of you mod makers wanna use this, have at it - to include what you are doing too Pesty!  ;)

JM.

JM.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 10:35:56 pm »
Cool.. What we need for planet textures is some way for the community to decide on them.. the reason I state this is because my pack is to include the most commonly used / requested items for the game..

What I can do is put a batch file in that can adjust the textures or revert them back at a player's whim.. or they can modify them on a file by file basis, making them truly custom.

that is easy enough to do..

Anyhow Diz.. just let me know when it is ready..

Also PM me your current Email addy.. I have a script package that is updated with newer NW mission scripts.. You can sort through them to check which you want.. but I have found some on Stray's tavern.. like Allied Assault and so forth.. I don't know where he got them.. there are 12 new scripts he had that I did not find on NW's site.. SO I leached them out of his DL to add to the Enhancement Pack..
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 10:45:41 pm »
As long as folks just edit the BMP content of the planet's textures and don't rename the textures, they already can put whatever textures they like on these meshes, like Klingon Fanatic is doing with the two templates I included in the Planetpack ... One is a guide to place the texure on the model, according to it's mapping, and the other is the shadow effect, to be placed on top of the BMP before you export/save as a BMP.

Just being helpful ... lol

JM.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 10:59:52 pm »
Do we know exactly which Dummy object in the model file actually supports fighter/shuttlecraft launching? When I did this, I moved all the dummy object to the exterior of the model proper... but as for damage points and other dummy object I aligned them just above and below the equator, in case I had to make an alteration ... that way I wouldn't have to guess which dummy was which.

If Fighters/PFs/Shuttlecraft are launched from the center of a mesh, which would be catastrophic for the small craft due to planet collision, this is probably due to a default location, and there might be a dummy object we've missed to handle just such a situation. (Apparently, the reason the tractor beams are working is because, in order to hardpoint this, I imported a stock Starbase I think it was near the top of the models folder list ... might have been dsb ... not sure  ... don't remember ..., and used all the dummies from it ... )
If nobody knows for sure which dummy handles small craft, we'd just need to find a stock model that deploys these small craft from alternate locations rather than the default middle of the mesh ... sadly, right now I simply don't have time to research this ... as I am typing responses between filling up boxes ... lol.

Wow... You will be my personal hero if uve figured out how to get shuttles and ftrs to launch from a planet!!! In fact, you may have already placed the dummy object that does it outside the mesh and it may work, I simply cant test this atm. I'll try to test it this week, but if fts launch from planets, that'd be HUGE.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 08:30:19 am »
Dizzy, I tinkered around for about an hour last night, and I couldn't find anything. I even adjusted the model away from it's center point to see if it would then launch ... it would not ... It could be because of the Planet clasification setting adjustable in ShipEdit as to why fighters WILL NOT launch. I didn't test it as a Starbase or Base Station though, only because that would remove the collision effect and make the planet destructable, which seems undesirable in a dyna server situation. It seems defense platforms and orbital bases stuck in seperately are the way to go at this point.

On another front ... Well, it's finally just about time to disconnect the PC and ship it to the new apartment. Because of this, I will be offline until the transition is complete and all the utilities have been carried over.
I don't think anyone looks forward to moving, I certainly don't, but it's for the best. Hopefully, this won't be any longer than a week, but ... well, you all know how life has a way of happening when you're making plans and all ...

Hope to see you all in about a week or so in new RL diggs.

:D

JM.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 08:38:56 am »
gl with the move. Too bad on the ftrs, huh?

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 03:57:01 pm »
IM, I wanted to thank you for the new planet pack and textures. This is excllent eye candy. Litttle upgrades like this make SFC better all the time. Nice work!

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 09:44:56 am »
I, Mudd, I hope the move went well.

This topic is too low on the page.

Wish list: Hard pointed STOCK asteroids to make Nuclear Wessels mission packs better (and to placehold for Jindarian ships), larger gas giants, ringed planets and planets with moons.

This is REALLY going to change how we all play SFC:OP...

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 11:22:16 am »
SFC 1 allows for Drone to be launched from planets, as they have this i the options for planets and asteroids in the SFBSPC13.TXT spec file.

In SFB it is recomended that fighters be based in orbiting hangar pods, as this is what they're intended for and it eliminates wasting a turn clearing the atmosphere if one is present.

I've read up the rules in SFB Volume.III. Commander's Edition Rule Book and even have the Ground Based Phaser SSD.

OK SFB numbers typical colony defence to be 6 x evenly spaced GBP emplacements space around the equator. Up to 24 are allowed in SFB rules for larger populations .

Each emplacement has 4 x APR, 1 x Ph4 and 2 x Ph3 as weapons. the single #1 Shield is 12 boxes in strength.

There is a list of Klingon, Gorn, Kzinti, Lyran, etc. variations of the GBP with the range 50 Disrupter replacing the for the Klingons, Kzinti and Lyrans. Use the Dis4 instead.

This would make the GBP a GBD instead.

In SFC we only have the range 15 to range 40 Disrupters, as the range 10 and range 50 ones have been left out. Freighters and PFs use the range 10 ones, so these are actually slightly overgunned in SFC.

I can scan in the tables and SSD in it is requested.

General defences used here in SFC 1 LAN games are:

Def Sat
Captor Mines (Tractors and holds a ship, explosion value 500 to 1,000 so shooting it sin't very smart!!)
Kzinti Drone Mines (Tractors a ship and then pounds it with Drones.... sneaky and nasty!!)
Orbiting Fighter Pods (These actually can move at speed 1 on Impulse Power)
Orbiting PF Tender Pods (Have no propulsion)
Ground Based Phaser emplacement
Ground Based Disrupter emplacement
Ground Launched Drone emplaced
Ground Launched Fighters
Ground Launched Shuttles (usually MRS types)
Ground Launched Cluster Packs and Suicide Shuttles.
Ground Launched Impulse Powered Nuke (Large Impulse Powered missile with a single Cluster Pack.... used by pre-Warp civilisations and pretty useless!!)
Ground Launched Warp capable Nuke (large Warp Capable missile with a single Cluster Pack.... reasonably effective if not shot down first!!)
Light Monitors
Monitors

All are easily modelled and / or adapted from SFB by use of Ship Edit.

What I find annoying is why stock planets or custom planet models in stock planet slots, are solid whilst any planets added in as extras are not!!

The thing is that enemy ships will fire through the "soft" planets at targets, which they won't do with solid planets.

Ships can also be flown through soft planets.

How can soft planets be made to be solid??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 01:01:16 pm »
Like the work you did on these planets... though, I have to admit that i've not used any of them.
Instead I used planets from a High resolution Graphics mod from Galactic civilizations 2.

The detail on these planet textures are amazing....

So, instead of thanking you for the Planets, I give you a MASSIVE thanks for the Templates that allowed me to use my preferred planet textures instead.
I've never been able to get Good looking planets in SFC, but thanks to you I now can.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) :rwoot:
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2008, 02:43:56 am »
planets looking like those in Legacy and this sucks, sorry they just don't look realistic and in Legacy they look like they are cut-out paintings clued to a board
why are you guys copying that sh** Legacy style, its not even better than BC !??!  :o  :'(

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 07:15:41 am »
planets looking like those in Legacy and this sucks, sorry they just don't look realistic and in Legacy they look like they are cut-out paintings clued to a board
why are you guys copying that sh** Legacy style, its not even better than BC !??!  :o  :'(

That's a bit harsh in view about IMudds work... perhaps i'm reading it wrong though.
However, When using legacy as an example, you've got to include the fact that Legacy as a game "sucks"
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.