Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137597 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2008, 11:54:31 pm »
8) Thanks for the explanation and the subsequent pique to my interest... I can do audio, but if anyone can script, program, model or texture, audio is second-rate to them. Nonetheless, I'll be around.

Godspeed, good fellows.

Not true. Nothing is insignificant. True C++ scripters will be the biggest demand/lowest supply. Considering all of the non technical work that needs to be done, the scripters don't need to worry about that as well, if that makes sense the way I'm saying it? Hopefully there'll be enough people so no one has to wear too many hats.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Reptor

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Jack Ryder - The Rundorth Faction
« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2008, 08:19:34 pm »
Whoa! It's been a long time since I've visited this old home of mine. For some reason today a voice in my head told me to, and I stumbled upon this great news! Very cool! I don't know what I can do to help, except maybe with a users guide or a SFC4  strategy guide.

Havn't flown in quite a while. Time to slap in OP again and give her a spin. Ah, memories...  ;D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #242 on: November 10, 2008, 11:21:22 pm »
8) Thanks for the explanation and the subsequent pique to my interest... I can do audio, but if anyone can script, program, model or texture, audio is second-rate to them. Nonetheless, I'll be around.

Godspeed, good fellows.

Not true. Nothing is insignificant. True C++ scripters will be the biggest demand/lowest supply. Considering all of the non technical work that needs to be done, the scripters don't need to worry about that as well, if that makes sense the way I'm saying it? Hopefully there'll be enough people so no one has to wear too many hats.

I would have to say sound is a very important part of a game, having music that sets a mood, the ability to transisition music between different tension level etc, can really help in a game (movie, et al).
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
Name: Stephen Anthony Vincent
Address: Commiskey, IN 47227
Phone# : 812-216-1458

Job (IE: Programmer): Professionally - Microprocessor Engineer, For the Project, Programmer
Skills (IE: C++/SQL): C, C++

Contact Email: tuscarora@bluebottle.com

MSN Messenger (If applicable): don't use Im's

If still interested, let me know.  Long time player of SFC, SFC2, SFC2OP... skipped SFC3

Offline Max Power

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old School Hydran/Green Menace Leader
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2009, 01:00:37 am »
What is the status of this. Curious people in eve want to know; Mocton said something might be happening here. Maybe something is.

Always nice to hear about something 6-8 months after it's announced, but meh.

I'll explain why unless you want to be doing what it sounds like you're trying to do (which is take the old game, rip out the stuff that is totally outdated, replace the stuff that never worked to start with, and fix the huge number of bugs I recall this line of games has - plus add more functionality) until 2014 using a SFB based ruleset is a good idea. It's not so much that SFB is full of awesome (which IMO it is) but that it's an already functioning, existing, mostly BALANCED game system. If you choose to create something totally new, you're going to have to figure out how to create all these game systems from scratch, balance them all against each other, etc. This will take time, probably a lot of it. SFB has the benefit of having already for the most part done these things, so the only concern is the adaptation to the game that is being created. Since you're using a already established frame that previously did a lot of this work, the only things that you'd need to work seriously on would be adding whatever additional options to it that you chose to include. Which brings me to the next thing to consider.

People think that SFC 1/2/OP is a computerized SFB. It's not really. It's a conversion of SOME of SFB. Many, many things are missing, and this causes problems. I especially recall that romulans in SFC are mostly crap because without plasma bolts (or sabot) they have a very hard time fighting equally against opponents, since their tactics are nearly universally limited to a very small bag of tricks. Similarly, fighter regen and other such things annoyed me greatly, as well as the fact that the actual fighters themselves were overpowered and underpowered at the same time. The alterations caused problems that could be mitigated by smart players - but why should they have to do this in the first place? My advice, is due to these reasons, is to take the SFB frame that you're starting with, actually FINISH adding the missing features in it (and/or make the ones that are implemented in a questionable manner, such as fighters, work correctly) and move from there. Once you have a basic working framework, you can add as much stuff as you like/is practicable on it with no problems.

The other thing that I'd say is that SFC has really only been a player vs AI game, or a game with some limited multiplayer support in it (Mplague, etc). Dynaverse...well I played it for years, and it's limitations caused me to add grey hairs to my head I think. Most of the play in what is supposed to be a multiplayer arena is against the AI, which is not exactly what comes to mind when you say multiplayer. Even then, 6 total people...not much mutliplayer in that. I suppose I've been spoiled somewhat by eve, where the max player count in a fight that I've been in was over 1200. Not that you'll likely get close to that I'd assume in anything not hosted on a dedicated server (with programming to back it up) but somewhere in the 20-30 range would be nice (and if done right would seem doable). In short, not only the multiplayer code should be scrapped, but the way mutiplayer is used in campaigns should be totally rethought. If the idea is that you're playing against other people, shouldn't you actually, you know, play most of your game time against other people?

I suppose I'll need to keep tabs on this now to see if something interesting develops. Is there a place where progress is being tracked, or is this a dead horse?

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2009, 01:34:57 pm »
If anything I'd say it's the mods that have kept it going this long. Without them I don't think the game would still have a pulse today.

Don't normally follow this forum, but as a modder Scott.. thank you.  We love this game as well, that's why we keep doing it.

Just dropping you an image (and one for the guys not in the Modellers forum), this is one that will be released next week by Will Decker.  Mesh is 8 years old now, textures are new.  Kinda like the game, eh?  ;)  This ship will fly ingame (the mesh has before), and once released, I'm sure that one of us will convert it over to SFC 3.

Thread can be followed at:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163377869.msg1122954633.html#msg1122954633

..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »
I hope a new Dyna is made for this one that spports Vista and you can keep your firewall on unlike the D2.

Offline spaivxx

• Ensign
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2009, 11:18:35 pm »
Is this project on going still? I am new here and please excuse me for not having the time this evening to read all of the pages. I so badly would love to see a new SFC game. On the first page you mentioned the need for composers/sound designers. I would love a shot at that. I am a musician by trade and I was a musical composition major in school. You may contact me at shawnabrams@hotmail.com if I may help with this project. I can send some MP3 samples. I have everything I need to fully produce the music for this project, be it orchestral, industrial, ambient elctronica, combination, etc....

Offline vortex79

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Gorn Whiskey: The secret of Gorn Plasma.
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2009, 11:35:16 am »
This sounds sweet, but if you take out the Gorn, I will rip out your heart! :-P

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2009, 12:11:18 am »
Take out the Lyran theme, I'll do like the Mirak and feast on your entrails!
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #250 on: September 01, 2009, 04:04:35 am »
Look for that update you've all been scratching your heads about!

SOON

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

GroundZero

« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2009, 07:22:45 am »
Soon.....sounds good
I really hope you avoid the pitfalls that plagued previous modification projects.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13:29 am »
Soon.....sounds good
I really hope you avoid the pitfalls that plagued previous modification projects.

Don't forget to check the date of that "soon" post.  9-1-2009.  Today is 11=6=2009.

Hope for the best, but don't hold your breath on things.  :skeptic: :skeptic:

Offline maus

• Ensign
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »
As someone who regularly plays Dwarf Fortress, I know how to wait for a good thing! A non-profit being handed the rights to one of my favorite franchises? YES PLEASE

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #254 on: January 04, 2010, 02:00:28 am »
Soon.....sounds good

Don't forget to check the date of that "soon" post.  9-1-2009.  Today is 11=6=2009.

Well, it's apparently "soon" in the biblical sense. As in, "Judgment day is coming "soon".

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2010, 04:39:20 am »
Soon.....sounds good

Well, it's apparently "soon" in the biblical sense. As in, "Judgment day is coming "soon".

;D  :laugh: yepper  ::)

Offline DIFJosh

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »
hi Guys  let me know how we can help. We all getting ready for STO, sew alot of the crew is back, like Schramm and Bingman (Programmers) ill inquire to them if they have time and if they could help you out.
wanna shout out to Frey and Bonk hope to hear from you .
your SFC Community Angel
DIFJoshCUGS 8)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2010, 08:44:42 pm »
Literally, within days.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:13 am »
Literally, within days.

Regards,

Hmmm? Maybe it's some sort of code?

Admiral, if we go "by the book". like Lieutenant Saavik, hours could seem like days.

:huh:

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »
Literally, within days.

Regards,

Hmmm? Maybe it's some sort of code?

Admiral, if we go "by the book". like Lieutenant Saavik, hours could seem like days.

:huh:

So, are you saying that he meant months, or years?
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary