Topic: Hints of 'time before Big Bang'  (Read 28233 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Hints of 'time before Big Bang'
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:51:59 pm »
Link to full article

The journal Physical Review Letters shares details about a recent study of the cosmic microwave background – light emitted when the universe was only 400,000 years old. It is relic radiation that fills the universe and acts as evidence for the Big Bang theory. In 1992 the Cobe satellite discovered tiny fluctuations on the almost completely smooth microwave background; these were thought to be seeds from which galaxy clusters grew.

The physicists’ new model may explain why time moves in a straight line for us. Dr. Adrienne Erickcek and fellow researchers from the California Institute for Technology believe that these fluctuations somehow link to a “bubbling off” of our universe from a previous one. According to their model, new universes may be spontaneously created from empty space – a remarkably unspectacular event from inside the parent universe.

This “arrow of time” has long been blamed by physicists on the second law of thermodynamics. According to this fundamental physical rule, systems move from order to disorder over a period of time. This rule is so fundamental, in fact, that Arthur Eddington, a pioneering astronomer quipped, “If your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation".

Professor Carroll agrees that the law cannot be avoided, unless, of course the Universe began its life in a disordered state. In Carroll’s presentation, he explained that if a Big Bang were created from cold space of a previous universe, the new universe would begin its life in an ordered state. He explained, “Every time you break an egg or spill a glass of water you're learning about the Big Bang”. The fact that you can’t re-assemble a broken egg, and the apparent direction of time are simply consequences.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Akira_Commander567

• Zachary "the Marksman" Rich
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Hints of 'time before Big Bang'
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:04:05 pm »
Oh my gosh, if you belive some of this, you're a complete idiot. I belive in a Big Bang theory, but you've got the wrong time period. It will be at the end of time, it was not at the begining.
The truth is like a thriple-edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:37:42 am »
The only Big Bang theory I believe in requires a woman to be involved in an 8 hour session that leaves her asleep for 6 days.   :D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:32:08 am »
Is that pretty much ALL you think about?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:27:17 pm »
Is that pretty much ALL you think about?

No.  Aside from getting some, I also think about how best to go about restarting my acting training, how I'm gonna learn to make models from scratch using 3DS Max, and also various ways to take over all of creation and assume the throne of Hell with as little effort as possible.

I also think about how horrible most television shows are these days, getting a new motherboard with SLI, a new monitor with a DVI connection, and what my first officer Murray is doing right now.  He and the rest of my rubber chickens are at a business convention over in Boca Raton.  I think it has something to do with pork bellies, but don't quote me on that.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »
I agree on the bad tv shows part. But all I've got is movies, I don't have any TV whatsoever.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:52 am »
I agree on the bad tv shows part. But all I've got is movies, I don't have any TV whatsoever.

They need good, wholesome, family entertainment like they used to have.  Sam Kinison and George Carlin specials, Three Stooges, the good old classic Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons, and also Sledge Hammer, back on television.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 08:30:07 am »
Yes, but everyone wants what is "popular". I miss those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. Also, what's Sledge Hammer?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:54:53 am »
Yes, but everyone wants what is "popular". I miss those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. Also, what's Sledge Hammer?

YOU DON'T KNOW SLEDGE HAMMER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Just exactly how young are ya?  *checks behind Akira's ears*  Damn, not only wet, but dripping.

Sledge Hammer was a TV show from back in the 80s.  Lasted only 2 seasons, but it was gold.  Good, wholesome, family entertainment that dealt with a cop that loved his job, did everything he could to uphold the law, carried a .44 magnum given to him by his father, Jack Hammer, and he also talked to his gun, slept with his gun, showered with his gun, and cooked with his gun.  Sledge Hammer was a man that kids could admire!!!

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:04 pm »
I was born in 1993, so I'm 15. My older brother is the one who'd know about that. Beshides, I don't watch much TV anyway, I prefer to be with my girlfriend or be enjoying a fireworks show of homemade bombs.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »
I was born in 1993, so I'm 15. My older brother is the one who'd know about that. Beshides, I don't watch much TV anyway, I prefer to be with my girlfriend or be enjoying a fireworks show of homemade bombs.

Only 15?  No excuse!!!   :P :P :P

And you think them there homemade bombs/fireworks are something, Sledge would have yawned at the sight of them, and pulled something out of his trunk that would have made ya faint!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, I recommend Sledge Hammer.  If you can, download them or buy them on DVD.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:22:35 pm »
I'll look into it. But I still prefer my 50. cal over that. My dad has an authentic 50. cal fromm WW2, chains and all.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 02:46:25 pm »
I'll look into it. But I still prefer my 50. cal over that. My dad has an authentic 50. cal fromm WW2, chains and all.

Not bad, but Sledge carries rocket launchers and bazookas in his trunk.  His idea of dealing with a sniper on a building, blow up the building.  But he makes sure the building is empty.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »
Hey, I ain't never seen Sledge Hammer, never even heard of it before you mentioned it. I like anything that makes a loud BOOM!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 02:53:04 pm »
Hey, I ain't never seen Sledge Hammer, never even heard of it before you mentioned it. I like anything that makes a loud BOOM!

Oh I know you've never seen Sledge Hammer.  You mentioned it.  Just saying that Sledge is a one man army.  :-p

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:26 pm »
Perhaps they'll put it on one of those rerun shows on TV one day...........

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »
Perhaps they'll put it on one of those rerun shows on TV one day...........

Doubtful.  They should have let it run for another 3 or 4 seasons.  It was such a damned good show.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 03:06:11 pm »
I'll know oneday, my brother likes shows like Sledge Hammer andB5. I'm sure that he'll find seasons on DVD to buy and he'll get them.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »
They have the shows "Hammeroid" and "Here's to you, Mrs Hammer" on U-Tube.

"Hammeroid" was a brillian piss take of "Robocop". ;D

Basically Hammer is a "Guns and Ammo" nut and a Nhilalist.

Great one liners in every show....

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 07:20:16 pm »
They have the shows "Hammeroid" and "Here's to you, Mrs Hammer" on U-Tube.

"Hammeroid" was a brillian piss take of "Robocop". ;D

Basically Hammer is a "Guns and Ammo" nut and a Nhilalist.

Great one liners in every show....

Oh, those terms don't even begin to describe the genius and integrity that is Sledge.