Topic: Hardcore Server NEW SCRIPTS testing  (Read 82024 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Hardcore Server NEW SCRIPTS testing
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2008, 09:02:47 am »
Well Crim, some people play for a few minutes at a time and others spend their whole life on a server. For whom do we make the missions palatable? Playing the same boring crap over and over is just as deadly to the player base as making the missions too hard for the "average" player.

What is being tried now is to make the missions more random so that everyone gets to have an easy one once in awhile as well as one that takes you an hour or so. So far I have been given everything to fight from Freighters to Dreds while flying a Destroyer. Sometimes I get help, sometimes not. Sometimes there are multiple opponents, sometimes not. I have had to run away exactly once. I have had to use terrain like never before to pull out wins against the AI (my favorite so far was to cause a Gorn Dred to WW at range 5 from a Black Hole and watch it go in). The AI is still stupid, the odds just make me more creative on how to win the mission faster. I haven't kept track, but I'd guess I'm averaging about 10 mins a mission which isn't too bad.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2008, 09:36:20 am »
Crim is right though, we've done this crap 3-4 years ago and realized it's a bad idea and stopped. 

The missions need more VARIETY, not more difficulty.  That said I haven't played on Hardcore at all because it doesn't seem compelling to me either.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2008, 09:37:03 am »
I haven't kept track, but I'd guess I'm averaging about 10 mins a mission which isn't too bad.

Yeah, but member that night on GSA where our opponents fought worse than drunk AI? There are peeps that will log on far less skilled than you, Corbo... So I wonder what the playerbase will look like... I mean, From Frey himself, the Hardcore XC server is meant to be a PvP server with hard missions... Looks like it may only have the latter...

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2008, 09:57:39 am »
Crim is right though, we've done this crap 3-4 years ago and realized it's a bad idea and stopped. 

The missions need more VARIETY, not more difficulty.  That said I haven't played on Hardcore at all because it doesn't seem compelling to me either.

That's what I'm hoping for in the ED versions - more variety at around the same difficulty level as our current standard mission set.  (So ideally they would be salted in with the current standard mission set, once we're satisfied they're stable.)

I (personally) like the idea of having the XC missions and Hardcore server around for those who like the nastier AI sometimes.  I wouldn't expect them to be on the core campaign servers. 

Actually that's pretty much the exact conversation Pesty and I had before we embarked on this little journey.

dave

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:19 am »
Well, fine, but 30 minute missions is stretching it a little... But I have faith in u, ED. Also, anyone remember the GW series missions that had double ftrs and how hard they were to kill off? Carriers ruined missions that server. Imagine front line ftrs who not only can take the damage but this time dish it out. Bad bad.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:19 am »
Well, fine, but 30 minute missions is stretching it a little... But I have faith in u, ED. Also, anyone remember the GW series missions that had double ftrs and how hard they were to kill off? Carriers ruined missions that server. Imagine front line ftrs who not only can take the damage but this time dish it out. Bad bad.

Remember the Tracy G missions where the AI didn't strip and double-shot their Heavy Weapons?   ;D

The Current ED ones are excellent.   When I get bored of GSA I'll have to throw up a server with them.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:20 am »
You know I just love all the "input" from people who aren't even willing to test things out. To be honest, if all you guys are worried about is mission time as a ratio to how useful the mission is I'm outta here. I want fun missions. I don't care how long they take. As Dave said, the XC versions are meant to be harder for Pesty's set up. Go ahead and ignore the fact Dave is working on a "regular" set that is on the server too. Just tell us it's all been done before and you can't be bothered. Ignore the fact that after the mission matching is worked out and the variety of missions is good and the bugs are squashed that we might begin randomizing the terrain more too. Believe it or not, some people pay attention and learn from your mistakes. That's why Dave started over with a whole new approach to mission scripting.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2008, 11:06:10 am »
You know I just love all the "input" from people who aren't even willing to test things out. To be honest, if all you guys are worried about is mission time as a ratio to how useful the mission is I'm outta here. I want fun missions. I don't care how long they take. As Dave said, the XC versions are meant to be harder for Pesty's set up. Go ahead and ignore the fact Dave is working on a "regular" set that is on the server too. Just tell us it's all been done before and you can't be bothered. Ignore the fact that after the mission matching is worked out and the variety of missions is good and the bugs are squashed that we might begin randomizing the terrain more too. Believe it or not, some people pay attention and learn from your mistakes. That's why Dave started over with a whole new approach to mission scripting.

Nobody is criticizing Dave's "normal" missions at all, the Warp ones that these are based off of are amazing.  We just don't "get" the concept of Hardcore.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2008, 07:35:52 pm »

Nobody is criticizing Dave's "normal" missions at all, the Warp ones that these are based off of are amazing.  We just don't "get" the concept of Hardcore.

I also understand the different Mission packs....and I "get" the HC concept....

I'm sayig I miss the forge ;)

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2008, 10:08:14 pm »
E4d drew DN+ and a DER...mission gave me two F5VK's wings which raced to commit suicide...

Pulled the plug...

Just not my cup of tea I guess.... :-\

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2008, 10:10:52 pm »
Oh come on.  I'm not much of a D2 pilot, and even I've been giving this Hardcore server a shot.

If someone like me is willing to at least try it out, it doesn't say much, if anything, about the old D2 pilots that whine and complain about the server without even trying it.

Sounds more to me like people that have found what makes them the best in the game, and they don't wanna change anything.

That had to be said.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:53 pm »

MIssions do need more VARIETY as you say, but difficulty is good also.  I don't mind having to play a mission that take 10 minutes or more to finish, but I also will bail on one that looks like a half hour battle that will end with me either destroyed if you mess up just alittle (when really overwelmed with enemy ships) or looks like you will win but be crippled and the payout don't pay for the repair billl.

I have enjoyed the little I have been on the HC server.  Maybe fix some of the payouts when you are totally overwelmed (last battle I was in I was in a NCD against a Klingon CA carrier and two D5's, doesn't sound to bad but one of the D5's was a D5FK so he was drone proof).  I didn't destroy a ship as the ADD load and PD was high anough to stop most of my drones (I had a few good hits but not many as the carrier could tractor a whole drone wave plus).

Keep up the work guys, I have enjoyed it so far.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2008, 10:34:11 pm »
Would it be possible to add the warp out in the HC servers.  The maps are so large that when you have to run it takes 10 minutes just to get to the side of the map.  That is a long way to go with a partial cripple ship.  If not, I can live with it, but would be nice to maybe have a way to find the nearest edge of the map.  Can't help but to wonder how many times I headed to the wrong side and the other way would have been quicker but you never can tell when the edges don't show up on your mini map.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:15 pm »
Oh come on.  I'm not much of a D2 pilot, and even I've been giving this Hardcore server a shot.

If someone like me is willing to at least try it out, it doesn't say much, if anything, about the old D2 pilots that whine and complain about the server without even trying it.

Sounds more to me like people that have found what makes them the best in the game, and they don't wanna change anything.

That had to be said.

That was quite retarded like most of your posts.  We've been there and done that which is why we think this is a bad idea.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2008, 10:48:24 pm »

MIssions do need more VARIETY as you say, but difficulty is good also.  I don't mind having to play a mission that take 10 minutes or more to finish, but I also will bail on one that looks like a half hour battle that will end with me either destroyed if you mess up just alittle (when really overwelmed with enemy ships) or looks like you will win but be crippled and the payout don't pay for the repair billl.

I have enjoyed the little I have been on the HC server.  Maybe fix some of the payouts when you are totally overwelmed (last battle I was in I was in a NCD against a Klingon CA carrier and two D5's, doesn't sound to bad but one of the D5's was a D5FK so he was drone proof).  I didn't destroy a ship as the ADD load and PD was high anough to stop most of my drones (I had a few good hits but not many as the carrier could tractor a whole drone wave plus).

Keep up the work guys, I have enjoyed it so far.

I've had those missions before.  You really gotta be sparing on the drones and scatterpacks.  What I normally do is have everything charged, and I close in on one of the D5FK and let loose with everything I have at range 3.  I make sure my shields are reinforced though.  Normally at that range, one or two of my drones manages to make it through, but my phasers just shread the side front shield apart and the thing takes internals.  

Then I concentrate on the carrier and fighters, even if my first target is still alive.  If I have to, I target the fighters and shoot a wave of drones, but I don't do it too often.  I do try and send drones at the carrier though.  I normally fly in large circles.  Sometimes the AI falls for it and spreads out.

Once the carrier is taken out, the rest tends to be easy for me.  Just takes time.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:24 pm »

That had to be said.

That was quite retarded like most of your posts.  We've been there and done that which is why we think this is a bad idea.

Shows how mature you are, calling me retarted. 

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2008, 10:59:17 pm »
Shows how retarded you are, implying I have maturity  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2008, 10:59:50 pm »
Shows how retarded you are, implying I have maturity  ;D

Want to insult me again?

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »
Ok...knock it off guys...

:police:

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2008, 11:16:45 pm »
Ok...knock it off guys...

:police:

Just for the record, I didn't do anything.  I made a post, and then was called retarded for it.  I am not gonna share blame for this.