Topic: TOS Excelsior  (Read 47245 times)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
Re: TOS Excelsior
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 07:13:23 pm »
and how come you guys didn't ask me to help?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »
I would also like to, as an example, point out the Garth-class crusier that atolm and Tus made. That has a very excelsior-esque hull.

I brought it up!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »
Atlom,
We all knew you would show up, us modellers have to be a patient lot to do this stuff. So why hunt you down, when we knew if we post a community project you would come?

Thanks for joining in and please if you have any ideas let us know
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:34 am »
Yup, at this point, we're not even past the squabbling over small minutea stage.  Plenty of time for you to come in and contribute.  :D

Think at this point, we're all agreeing on a primary hull similar to FOAS' and the one GAFY showed, secondary hull should be similar to the TMP version, with some TOS throwbacks (shuttlebay/deflector).. I think the three biggest bones of contention now are the nacelles (are they going to be TOS, WZ or Abrhams styled), the pylons (TMP bent or not) and do we go more for an Abrahm-ic styled look, or classic TOS.

That about right guys?
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2009, 04:32:15 am »
yea nacelles are the only thing i wonder about, though i was thinking about that, what if we take the basic shape of them, the rounded rectangle, add a rounded buzzard in the front recessed into it, but not all the way, remove most of the grill except the inside, smooth out the top, but instead of the handles add subtle fins instead  like already on it. It would be TOS while still looking excelscior

Offline joker

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Take the ace!!
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2009, 06:35:46 am »
Yes, that is awsome Furyofaseraph it looks spot on with that saucer.

Candle, nice necelles :)

MSI GT729 Intel Quad Core Q9000 Processor Technology (2.0GHz),
4GB DDR 3 Ram, 500GB HDD, DVD Super Multi/ Blu-ray Optical Drive,
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4850 3D Graphic Card with 1GB

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2009, 10:18:20 am »
I just used it for bashing together an idea (and I apologize in advance for the atrocities performed here this day on such a pretty ship).

I streched and mauled the Helena a little bit plus added in a couple of pylons from a TMP Excelsior just to see how it'd look, and it looks like how Scotty described the TMP Excelsior.  ;)

But as a testbed of ideas, I could see this one.  Bigger nacelles, another section in the secondary hull, flattened saucer keeping the standard TOS bridge, no back bump (to be upgraded in TMP times due to a lot of stress on the spaceframe in the back).  Yup, could see it.

(No, not planning on releasing this, this is just an dea of the concept I had.)

Very nice Concept there Alec
 ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2009, 10:25:01 am »
If we are talking this one then I have it

Would you mind sending that my way also I seemed to have missed that one  :)

Thanks in advance.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2009, 12:19:30 pm »
Ok, first off, I love what Fury has done.

I also agree that the typical 60's look is definitely becoming very outdated. While the TOS look is extremely Iconic and majestic, it could do with expanding and fleshing out... Remember if they had the budget and the facilities of technology that we have now or even 20 years ago. Things would have been more detailed and defined.

Saying that I have tried to keep as much of the original connie nacelle in this as possible. Only the bash I made has a warp grill on each side, to help reflect the nature of the of the Excel with has a band running around the entire nacelle.

I also added the Ingram's bay, as I feel the overall profile is lacking without something on the end of the secondary hull

Other than that, with what Fury has done is remarkable and is greatly in line with what I had in mind. Which also saved me a lot of time when it came to coming up with the pic. Thanx dude :D

i like it, though could the buzzard be larger to fit inside its casing entirely?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2009, 10:12:37 pm »

Oh my! This is absolutely lovely! OMG WOW!

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2009, 07:37:16 am »
I think if you ensure the ball of the buzzard is in the necelle recess, then your on for a winner  ;)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:51 am »
Well seeing as I first attempted the TOS excelsior idea, I figured I re-approach the situation from a somewhat logical direction.
First: The ship would have to be either the conceptual/proposed prototype during late TOS or be a spaceframe that was kinda established to some degree already.
Second: The ship cannot just be a Direct retro-ization of the Excelsior, but rather a ship that was more in-line to the established fleet ethic(meaning it couldn't look so different, as it would then not be able to surprise the crew of the Enterprise upon seeing her in ST3).
Third: Establish a design lineage that again fits within the established fleet ethic, but still invokes some sense of originality.
Fourth: The ship's spaceframe was probably a rare thing, possibly relegated to specific roles, as the Constitution class were the real workhorses of the fleet(not to say that their were no other spaceframes in numbers, but Connies have been shown to be numerous, though they probably were not the most made designs, rather they were deepspace explorers that were not to come home anytime soon once launched)
Lastly: It the ship has to look cool (LOL)

Anyway, here she is, my interpretation of the TOS Predecessor of the Excelsior-Class... USS Endurance, Exemplar-Class starship:

Enjoy :)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2009, 11:13:03 am »
I LOVE IT!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2009, 06:12:10 am »
Thats awsome mate. ;D

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2009, 07:00:18 am »
Wow Atolm pulls another out of his hat ;D Great work there

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »
well I meshed her and handed her to FOAS to scale and tweak some things.  He will then post some pics and the DL for anyone who wants to pop on some skins and hp so that there will be a more "original" TOS excelsior than my first :)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2009, 01:51:12 pm »
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it.... Personally, I think that atolm's design fits the lineage much better than mine, so I think It'd rather run with his.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2009, 02:01:08 pm »

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2009, 02:12:52 pm »
And here is the MOD file for people's enjoyment - remember credit goes to Atolm.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2009, 02:49:19 pm »
This thing is just begging to be morphed into a TMP Ingram SCS.  :knuppel2: