Topic: Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)  (Read 36415 times)

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Re: New Roosevelt Model WIP (Need Help)
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 12:34:06 am »
I think the phaser banks are great as is.

Regarding the TOS textures, I like it best when the ships are shiny white, almost glistening (but not too much). A little weathering is nice, but not so much that the ship is gray. I also think it looks best when the ship framework/the edges of the individual panels are very faint, almost unnoticeable.

For example:
... although maybe a little glossier and whiter would be perfect. But this is my opinion, and maybe other folks think too glossy/shiny would be cheesy.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 03:14:06 am »
Fallen Warrior, I do agree with Marstone on this.  If your going to improve a TOS model, most of the time, its just designing a good texture for it.  I personally like TMP markings on any TOS ship.  I personally think it really helps out TOS models considerably.  I've tried different styles of Aztec platings, I'm not very good at it but it does help TOS models aswell.

Hey what do ya know, your gettings some comments!   :)
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 06:04:05 am »
The original model was low poly so that it didn't really have as much detail to the mesh as most of us are accustomed to seeing these days, that's the reason for the rebuild, and the reason I'm doing those X ships, which, by the way, I haven't forgotten.  I will be getting back to them soon.

Anyway, we did take a couple liberties with the new mesh, adding in a couple things that weren't identical to the original.  It's our hope that such details only add to the model, not take away.

So, overall, this was one situation that warranted a new mesh, but other times, I would agree with most here, new textures would do the trick.

But F_W is right, we need a mapper, and a good one.  Any volunteers?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Major A Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 08:20:21 am »
Hi all. Has anyone attempted to speak with Aceman on scifi-meshes to see if he knows an email address for the original creator of the high poly CGI model (Floodcasso2)?? I never had any contact details for him, so was unable to get in contact myself. I've also spent a few hours this morning trying to locate the original mesh but with the amount of cds and dvds I have it might be quite a long time, but I will keep looking.

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 03:51:02 am »
I'll be interested to see how this turns out.  I did dl the version from battleclinic, but, I too prefer my TOS Flathead target ships to be a slight off white with discreet panel hints, and preferably not a lot of aztec on the saucers.  Also, I agree that the ship needs more standard Connie type warps, as you are making.  Overall, I think the vessel is shaping up well.

It is a far cry from the days I reworked the low poly taldren meshes into something bearable to look at (at least to me, I hate KA klingons).   Machines are so much better, I have been spending the little time I have when my hands aren't on fire from arthritus to redo all my old ships with at least 512 maps or better.

re commentary, as a grizzled old vet from the taldren boards, commentary is a good or bad thing, we used to have a certain number of prima-donna modelers who threw ring tailed hissy fits at ANY criticism at ALL, regardless of constructive or not.   I recall one getting mad enough to close his site down for a time.    A few guys seemed to have egos that required every post to be "omg that's amazing" or nothing at all.

I recall building a ship once for Bernard.  Was fun, cause Bernard wanted things right, and had no qualms about telling you they weren't.  I did the thing with the wrong version warps.  :)

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 04:36:01 am »
I will make a variant with "standard" nacelles. But so far, there isn't much from mine that's too different from the original. Apart from some minor details, it has been pointed out that these nacelles aren't everyone's cup of tea.

hmm, guess I'm looking at the nacelles on the Roosevelt from battleclinic, they are much flatter and have a large rectangular section protruding underneath, which is why I prefer what you are doing.

I think they look good, didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 04:47:06 am »
I can't tell for certain, due to it not being smoothed, but I would say trying to get a few more edges in those nacelles would be good - make it rounder. I would also make the shuttlebutt less pointy and add some edges on the under-curve, too.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07:48 pm »
It looks like you modelled some of the smaller details which would have best been left on a texture, as those eat up polies and will not be seen in most cases. This will be really bad when you smooth it as that tends to increase the poly count.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »
Last I checked, smoothing didn't bump the poly count, just distorts the surface appearance to make it more rounded.  As for the aft end of the shuttlebays, they look alright as is, as trying to redo them would add more polys to the hulls than even I'm comfortable with, also it was a pain to do the last time.  Don't want to repeat the process.  When the ship is done and available for download, if you want to try and improve those areas Fury, feel free.  Personally, I'd love to see what you could do because this was my first attempt at a hull like this.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 12:00:17 am »
Last I checked, smoothing didn't bump the poly count, just distorts the surface appearance to make it more rounded.  As for the aft end of the shuttlebays, they look alright as is, as trying to redo them would add more polys to the hulls than even I'm comfortable with, also it was a pain to do the last time.  Don't want to repeat the process.  When the ship is done and available for download, if you want to try and improve those areas Fury, feel free.  Personally, I'd love to see what you could do because this was my first attempt at a hull like this.
I know smoothing doesn't mess with polycount. what i was saying is that I'm not sure if the nacelles have enough polies, but I can't tell for certain because they aren't smoothed at present (that is the real tell-tale)
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 12:35:10 am »
I will make a variant with "standard" nacelles. But so far, there isn't much from mine that's too different from the original. Apart from some minor details, it has been pointed out that these nacelles aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I have a strong dislike for them, so will be nice to see an option.  Personal thought is, if you are trying to be TOS you have a fairly constrained limit on how much you can change a look of something.   If you want to call it TOS inspired I have more slack in the looks department.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 01:13:50 am »
I have some some ideas that wont help you  :-\, areas where poly cut could be done and game play would be helped but that is just my opinion .  :knuppel2:  :P 
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23:09 pm »
I know smoothing doesn't mess with polycount. what i was saying is that I'm not sure if the nacelles have enough polies, but I can't tell for certain because they aren't smoothed at present (that is the real tell-tale)

That part's my bad Fury.  I know you know smoothing doesn't bump up polies, I was referring to GAFY's post.  I should have said that.  ;-D

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 07:14:29 am »
the ship is really taking shape you two are doing a fine job on it keep it up.

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »
Any updates?
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 12:49:50 am »
None that I know of.  I just recently ran across the CGI model of the ship, but haven't taken a look at it.  Either way, last I checked, Miles is currently undergoing a system reformat, so updates might be a while. 

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
Re: New Roosevelt+ Others WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:28 am »
FW i think this is your best work yet keep it up.

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »
I think your pylons need to be a bit beefier on the davids.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 11:26:24 am »
Normally, I'd not think so.. but based off the engineering hull and the ship you're replacing, yes.  You'd want to increase your width to at least 150% of where it is now, but keep the pylon thickness about the same.

Personal opinion..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 12:23:09 am »
Okay.... I am making my return with not only an update to the Roosevelt. Thanks to Wulf  Now has a Poly Count of around 9.5K. Still have a couple of details to re-add. But she is almost ready for mapping. I have no pics of the update for the Roosevelt As there isn't any noticeable difference right now.

I've also been thinking about a single hulled variant....  For the purposes of my Mod. I'm designating it the Davids Class... To replace an old model that has been desperate for a facelift, so far it's Poly Count is around 5-7k. And strangely was easier than the Roosevelt.
As with the Roosevelt there will be an alternative version with the more "Classical" style.
Which I plan to work on later.

Time for Pics
Good work  :)
Champher the edges of that saucer 1 time that would rock  :thumbsup:
Time for life!