Topic: Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)  (Read 36422 times)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: New Roosevelt+ Others WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 08:20:35 am »
As far as the Davids is concerned I'd pull the secondary hull back slightly to expose more of the bridge structure
Great work on all the ships by the way  Keep it up.  ;D

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:59 am »
like the miranda..the spoodhead has too much "bow blade" going on. Looks out of proportion.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 06:57:43 pm »
Personally, I try to comment when I can get on, and I try to texture when I can.  But I swear, my wife pulls out the divorce papers whenever I look at a computer at home, and I can't install home stuff at work.

So for me these days, it's literally working when I should be sleeping.. or doing rough-in of textures as I can away from home, and polish when I can get to my tools.  :p

Though I'll also tell you.. for me, I work on these because I want to and I don't expect any replies on the WIP thread or release.  Or expect them to be downloaded.  If someone does, fantastic!  If someone can send me a screenshot of how it looks in their game, that makes it even better. 

The thing that really gets me choked though is if someone downloads it, and then ports it and claims it as their own original work.  Good enough to steal, good enough to port, good enough to post, but not good enough to thank or introduce to your community.  It's why I don't port to Bridge Commander.. it lets me see where my stuff gets into the game (if it does).  I suspect that if I went over to a ST: Legacy shipyard, I might see some of mine there as well.  Maybe Armada, and I've had some stuff ported (but credited) in Vegastrike and Starshatter.  And my policy isn't tough.. if you want to port it, hey, show me a picture of it ingame so that I can enjoy.  That's about it.

I think I've gotten more pics of my stuff here from you guys than I have ever had from a porter.. umm, lots more because I can't even remember a single port pic.. :p
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »
Good job Dude  :thumbsup: Welcome to active modeler statis .  I cant wait to see ur take on lyran , mirak , isc , gorn, and Pirates.
Side note just some perspective crit. Fatter warp pylons {looks a bit thin} Thin up the torp pylon and push warps forward a bit on the miranda type, and flip edges of the left side bridge area of immage 4png Cardy to = the other side u will notice slight but good smoothing changes when u export. Have fun and keep it up!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:13:50 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Time for life!

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 06:02:48 am »
Very nice work there  ;D

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:55 pm »
your pod is proprtionally too thick, IMHO, and the pyramids should be more squat and equilateral. If you want suggestions on placements, start with the far left and right edge of the blade, like the galor, however since you have 2 faces making up the side, you could place 2 there. The 2 you got on the tail just kinda look odd sitting there, try putting them in one of the outside corners. Also those front fwd facing ones don't fit at all with other cards, go with that "deflector beam" stuff they used in ds9, unless you move them, they'd look better between the "bite" and the bussard.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 10:14:04 am »
that's what I meant..it sticks up too high. You got the keldon idea going there, which isn't bad for the ship it's attached too but ya don't want it looking topheavy either..even though that's irrelevant in space.. :laugh:

intermech

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:43 am »
They all look really good! I love the detail and the thought that went into them. I really like the nacelles on the Fed!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 09:18:20 am »
Interestig bussard. I like the honeycombing.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2010, 10:37:05 am »
Yeah, I like that too.

I don't have any suggestions for your Asia Heraldry/Insignia, but perhaps if you look at existing Asian nation heraldry you'll find your spark.  I've taken a look and so far I can say yellow appears to be the most predominant colour.  Green/Red/Black are also seen a lot.  Wings, feathers and Wheat or plant garland style symbols appear through most of the designs I've looked at.  The crescent moon and single star appear together a lot in Indo-Asian nations, Far Eastern nations seem to reflect farming culture more but some feature a stylised creature such as a dragon, horse or lion.  I quite like some of the stylised horses portrayed in Mongolian heraldry.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 11:14:50 pm »
Looking good.

To answer your question: I don't weather my ships anymore (my GI technique adds enough darkness). Even before I did, I never did weather my feds, only my mirak (and even then I stopped).
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 11:40:53 pm »
This looks real nice! I usually like some weathering. I do it to try and hi-lite details like the plating lines etc...
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 02:39:10 am »
The original Enterprise model was very heavily weathered, but the detailing was bleached out by lighting and the lo-res nature of SFX in the 60's meant we never saw them properly.  Take a look at the saucer images in particular, these pictures were taken during the restoration of the original 11' model:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8672
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:17:49 am by MajorRacal »

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:23 am »
Fallen Warrior
  That is some nice work there, Keep it up  I especially like seeing your comparison with Andurils.  A suggestion revisit the Bridge
area It looks too small.  Keep the faith people will chime in just give them a little time.  ;D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:33 am »
As I never reply on WIP threads (well, maybe in a blue moon), because I couldn't model a sphere.  Here is a reply.  For what it is worth. 

I like the Asia, looks very good to my eye.  Tho there was alittle boxiness on the round parts (assuming some smoothing will be done yet).

The new necelles look good also, tho my eye has a hard time mentally appling textures for the final look.  I do think it will look increadable. 

Now a last word, for all the threads of WIPS that say they are TOS or pre-TOS your are the only ones I really can say look that part.  Everyone elses look like TNG shp designs to me.  Maybe that is why your models don't get as many comments, they people are looking at TNG style as TOS/P-TOS and just don't have an eye for your actual TOS ships.

Wish I could actually help with pointers but can't.  So keep working. 
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 10:36:29 am »
I plan to deal with the bridge soon. As for the replies.... Sorry but no, just because Im not releasing stuff (kind of impossible when no one is willing to help Centurus and myself) I don't get many posts. I'm not posting here for my own gratification, I'm posting here for opinions, for comments, ideas.... And I don't see why so many people can just pass it up. We are supposed to be a community.... And the modders in a group unto themselves....
So then why the heck should I moan and complain about not getting any replies after days of having stuff showing yet other threads here get 6-7 replies in a day. It's not fair and it's not right. I work bloody hard on this stuff as does Centurus. And the majority of you here can't even be bothered to show some simple bloody respect. And say "nice one" or "this sucks". So in all fairness why should I even bother posting?

And the worst thing... You can see who is online at any one time.... And you can roughly guess who is looking at a thread.... So what gets me is its the most regular visitors onto this section of dyna who are showing such disrespect, EVEN THOUGH! I try to comment on every thread to show my support. Where is the support for the work Centurus and I are doing?....... No offers of help or advice, even though its been stated repeatedly...... So where the hell is our support from this community?

I can understand you're frustration. I've released well over 50 ships now. If you add up the number of downloads vs. the number of C&C you get a ratio of about 50:1. It is what it is, though.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 12:41:46 pm »
It would be nice to get more replies to be honest.  Things have gotten very quiet around here these days, not like how they were back when I first started coming around this place. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 01:01:05 pm »
Some people just don't post as often. Some people lurk. C'est la vie, man. You can either take umbrage at the lack of response and stop showing your work, or you can post in spite of it. It's up to you. In my thread, I've gone in a stream of 8 or 9 posts before a single person responds. I've had to resurrect my own thread more than once that way, too. It is what it is.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 01:17:00 pm »
Now ask yourself I mean seriously ask your self Fury, considering how many other communities your part of... Does this place feel anything like it was and don't YOU feel that you are unappreciated that what you do here is wasted at times? I mean you must have wanted to become an Admin here to help get some changes in to help benefit the rest of us surely????

No, it doesn't - but that's (A) part in parcel of having a community for a game that came out in 1999 (B) people always come and go. I know many people who have gone on hiatuses for months at a time, even years (hell, I've done it before) but they come back from time to time. I did feel unappreciated for a time. Not so much anymore. I don't do it for you guys, I do it because I have fun doing it and that is never a wasted time.
I became a mod here because I noticed that for a small time there were a few flame wars cropping up and I thought it wise to have a guy who is a modeler be a mod of a modeler forum. Also, I wanted to have at least someone in a place of authority to enforce permissions across this community and in dealing with others (BC, Legacy) I wanted to be in a position to raise hell either with them or among here if permissions were improperly handled. I approached the admins and they said "sure thing".
Truth be told I've had ideas on getting a ball rolling (a modeling or design contest, and the SFC4 project) but they kind of stalled. So I will wait until people flood back in before I go full bore on anything.
Robinomicon