Topic: Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)  (Read 36483 times)

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)
« on: December 08, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:30:48 pm by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: New Roosevelt Model WIP (Need Help)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:36 pm »
Set up a cylnder thats got atleast 25 sides and say 8 sections tall. You will be working with 2 viewports the perspective solid and left or right wireframe. Get to editable mesh and work with the verts in the side view. Select the first set and scale it down and move them forward to give you some space to select other sets for more scaleing. Keep scaleing and moveing the verts untill you get the basic shape you want, then comes the hard part working on the back end to get the flat bottom and shuttle bay. That can be done in several ways but the quickest might be to bolien cut it , Gmax bolien opprand is alot better than max4 and even max 9 demo, it wont cause as many errors for some reason but its still not perfect. To cut the bottom area create another cylnder in the side view with only 1 section tall and about 10 sides will be fine for this, In vert mode squash the cylnder down a little and scale it fatter grab all of the bottom verts and move them down ,mess with that cylnder a little to get a reverse view of what you want to cut out of the hull then bolien subtraction ab should cut it and fill the mesh.   Not much good but a start  :P
 Note 25 sides isnt Real smooth but you can subdivide the mesh later if you want to bring up the poly count. Ill wright up a little pic tutorial if you want to see exactly what i am talking about .
Time for life!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:05:15 pm »
Thank you for that dude, I can make a Connie Hull, well to a degree, mainly the alcove gives me problems and I have no luck with boliens. So building something myself is a bit out of my league right now. But I could give it another shot.

Right now I'm using Gmax to build it so I can port to .mod for better viewing and .mod is the only got I have of it.

To be honest, I might just cave in and Bash some other parts into it... As I doubt anyone will help me with mapping, apart from pointing out a tut.
Ill help contact me on msn. I made another tos type hull screwin with the pic tute anyway, id like some imput before i show it to public.
Maping it can be easy in a way use 1 map for the hull applyed useing the cylnder option it will rap the map around the mesh then you mess with the #s  on the right pannel to get the map to fit the way u want. Then other areas can be applyed via flat plainer maping with seperate maps.
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:16 pm »
When making a cylinder, always do something that is divisible by 4 (unless you're doing something very specific where it is needed, but that is actually very rare)
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:21:14 am »
There's a non-OCD and pretty practical reason to make 4-divisible-edged cylinders: it makes your life much easier when it comes to welding them together.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:33:37 am »
The hull I'm making for this ship is a 28 side cylinder with several length segments.  She's roughly half done.  The general shape and contours are done, shuttlebay is done, at least as best as I can do.  I'm going to be starting on the front end and getting that taken care of.  Here's a single pic.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 12:47:46 pm »
It's true, he does.  He asks me so much that I had to start up my own shipyards cause Starfleet didn't want me damaging anymore hulls with my blowtorch.  Speaking of which, where did I put that blowtorch.....*sees several Galaxy Class starships on fire*  Nevermind, I think I found it.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:45:21 pm »
Fallen Warrior & Centurus  :thumbsup: Beatutifull work so far i cant wait to see the results. Fallen are you going to merge the meshs to get rid of the unused areas or keep it bash freindly and export it all as full parts?
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 04:29:47 pm »
Work on the twin secondary hulls nears completion.  I've gotten the hard stuff done and out of the way, and F_W can back me up on that.  Now comes some smaller details, and then the ship is basically ready for a mapper.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:36 am »
Welcome to my world.
Robinomicon

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:42:32 am »
Welcome to my world.

here here Foas.   ;D

Fallen Warrior, try not too get to wraped up on comments.  Sometimes, I get negative comments about my art anways.  So.....  ::)  Maybe no comment is a good thing?   :-\
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 01:56:42 am »
Welcome to my world.

here here Foas.   ;D

Fallen Warrior, try not too get to wraped up on comments.  Sometimes, I get negative comments about my art anways.  So.....  ::)  Maybe no comment is a good thing?   :-\
Sorry but i dont agree this NO comment additude is whats wrong with this world. - is just as good as + it helps to improve ideas of others. No offence please but this type of thinking the " I cant do anything cause it will never fix anything"  has got to end.
Time for life!

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 12:42:55 pm »
I know how you feel about this FW look at my Arcadia thread 200+ views and only 12 replys and 4 of those were my own. i know right now alot of people are wrapped up in the Christmas thing and don't have a lot of time,  i know i don't. as for the model, i have never liked the looks of the design way too much like the Loknar class. but your modeling skills are coming along very well. just remember that the cut function can be your friend :)

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 12:45:18 pm »
I was bothered by the no comment mentality, and to a degree I still am, but not as much as you are. Then, I realized that I wasn't doing all this for any of you, I'm doing it because its fun for me, hearing comments on a release is a bonus. Plus, whenever I am on the Dyna teamspeak, I hear at least three people say "Hey, I love your ISC pack" and "good job with the kzinti"
Robinomicon

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:10:37 pm »
I can't understand fully what you mean by the no comment mentality, but I kind of get what you're talking about -- for example, it's harder than it used to be to strike up a conversation in the 'General Discussion' forum anymore, and most of the threads here are no longer about SFC. I know that it's impossible to make people be interested in an old game (beyond the idea of an SFC4, but that's a whole different topic), but it can be frustrating too.

I try to comment on models that I feel I have something to say about, but I don't know all that much about modeling or ship designs beyond just a little fooling around. In other words, I try not to make a fool of myself  :P. But I'll turn off that worry and just say what I'm thinking: that's a badass phaser bank!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 02:39:53 pm »
Yes Indeed. No pics yet, well there might be one in the form of a question.....
That question being:
How would you guys like to see a more.... Hybridised Idea of JJ and TOS with... A Turret Bank

don't like turrets.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 03:11:07 pm »
Well, I will say that I like this "Roosevelt" ship more then JJ Abrahams Enterprise.   No offense to JJ Abrahams Trek, but that ship is just .... wrong to me.  So I guess that is a more positive comment about your new work there. 

I still don't understand why you are worried about the number of comments.  I worked on a few Battlestar Galactica models a while back and got more bad comments then good comments when they were released and put on www.battleclinic.com, yet the downloads have been next to nothing compared to other models.  Granted, they are pretty simple work (low poly, small texture models) but enjoyable to create aswell.  Be happy you are at least getting some downloads of your art, there are some modelers out there that hardly get any downloads or comments at all.  I hope I'm not sounding negative.

I do agree though, comments do help out the community more then no comments.  Compared to the SFC1/2 days (if I remember correctly) this community was not near as large as back then.  Perhaps its the holidays and people are doing other things right now.   :-\
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 08:38:37 pm »
for me updating TOS needs nothing more then new textures on the outside, ship styles I am happy with.  Just the fully plain skin could look alittle nicer. 

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 10:39:26 pm »
Well textures (Once someone volunteers to mapp her) I will try to keep as TOS as possible. And I do mean that. Detail wise I'm aiming for the Enhanced TOS look. I.E slightly more noticeable aztec, bit of extra fleshed out detail there, Maybe a slight change in the font for the registries. But noting overly garish. This was why I tried updating the phaser bank idea, without losing the original shapes.
So I do see your point. And since your one of the more Puritan TOS lovers. When it comes to textures. Your opinion will be most welcome As I've never been too confident with TOS textures... Their simpleness makes things harder sometimes.
I will agree that simple textures can be alot harder as you can't cover up with eye wash (lots of detail to distract with).

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 10:51:19 pm »
LS proved weathering  ;) makes  simple tos beautifull  :P

Well textures (Once someone volunteers to mapp her) I will try to keep as TOS as possible. And I do mean that. Detail wise I'm aiming for the Enhanced TOS look. I.E slightly more noticeable aztec, bit of extra fleshed out detail there, Maybe a slight change in the font for the registries. But noting overly garish. This was why I tried updating the phaser bank idea, without losing the original shapes.
So I do see your point. And since your one of the more Puritan TOS lovers. When it comes to textures. Your opinion will be most welcome As I've never been too confident with TOS textures... Their simpleness makes things harder sometimes.
I will agree that simple textures can be alot harder as you can't cover up with eye wash (lots of detail to distract with).
Time for life!