Topic: Some Stuff I've Been Working on...  (Read 25397 times)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
Re: Some Stuff I've Been Working on...
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2011, 03:32:29 am »
This version is awesome! It has a little bit of a Star-Wars-y feel. I wonder if there is anything that can be done about the flat profile.

Agreed ;D

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »
The etching on the front face, the hammer-head appearance of the forward hull, the cylindrical bodies, greebling, and pearlescent white hull are all reminders of the Tantive IV without actually BEING the Tantive IV.

Ironic since the latest Trek move, dated pre-TOS, took inspiration from the original Star Wars in terms of pacing (and borrowing a few blaster effects for the new phasers).

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2011, 06:02:32 pm »
something different again...
Federation Aker-Class:

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
Flip the wing, she looks like a Batleth :D

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2011, 04:18:49 pm »
Finished...
Federation Aker-Class:

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »
I'm guessing it's either a Tech exchange between fed and rom (or perhaps someone else) or a future inter-galactic voyage ship of some sort.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:25 pm »
Nah, the ship is 100% Federation, and she isn't that large (D'deridex, Scimitar, Dominion Battleship, Voth and many other vessels are as large or larger).  Also she is not extra-galactic.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:44 pm »
Well, I'm 0 for 2 >.<
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2011, 09:51:42 am »
appears by the time this ship enters service the sona have joined the federation.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »
Eh,
It always bugs me to see when anyone looks an assymetrical ship they assume it has to have something to do with the Breen, or when something is boomerang-shaped it has to have something to do with the son'a. I made my guess at a rom legacy mainly because I do see romulan details and designs in her. Assymetry isn't enough to assume that it has something to do with the Breen, and a boomerang shape isn't enough to assume it has something to do with the son'a. Purple glows or Green glows isn't enough to assume it has something to do with the Dominion or Borg respectively. Thinking like that limits your design repertoire and imagination.
Robinomicon

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »
Aker-Class:(careful, its big)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
Eh,
It always bugs me to see when anyone looks an assymetrical ship they assume it has to have something to do with the Breen, or when something is boomerang-shaped it has to have something to do with the son'a. I made my guess at a rom legacy mainly because I do see romulan details and designs in her. Assymetry isn't enough to assume that it has something to do with the Breen, and a boomerang shape isn't enough to assume it has something to do with the son'a. Purple glows or Green glows isn't enough to assume it has something to do with the Dominion or Borg respectively. Thinking like that limits your design repertoire and imagination.

I have a hard time believe either romulan or klingon empires would join the federation. Ally maybe, join no. Sona on the other hand..

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »
That's part of what I'm saying. But this is what I'm trying to say, this has no bearing on the Star Trek. If race A has a ship who has a bunch of design elements, and one of them happens to be assymmetry, I don't think it's fair to say that any ship with asymmetry is somehow related to race A. This applies to Star Trek, Babylon 5, anything.
Robinomicon

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 10:28:29 pm »
The Aker would make a beautifull post tng colony ship :thumbsup: .
Time for life!

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »
I'm guessing it's either a Tech exchange between fed and rom (or perhaps someone else) or a future inter-galactic voyage ship of some sort.

Atlom's stuff makes me think of the Cardassians, largely because I see some of the curves and architecture from DS9 in his details. The pylons especially.

It's a style that works well on other ships at times (like the Romulans), but only a few of his federation ships struck me as being purely federation creations.

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2011, 03:59:21 pm »
Oddly enough, when you start to look closely at the onscreen evidence, I don't think there's an especially consistent Federation style.  There are broad generalities - generally speaking we usually expect to see a saucer, some form of secondary hull and twin nacelles, yet the specific elements vary markedly in scale and aesthetic even within the same general era, and there are marked deviations from the norm to consider too.  When it comes to the finer details like window size and shape, hull text and other marking and even coloration, there is no hard and fast rule.  Then there are details like aztecs and hull panels etc, WZ wrote a pretty good piece about that a while back which really highlighted the variations you can see in official, onscreen Fed designs.

On a personal note though, Atolm, I'm loving the Aker, and those K-Roms you posted need to be built.  (I can't volunteer though - my PC has died its final death and I only have my crappy laptop which is no good for anything.  :'()

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2011, 02:09:06 am »
Fed styles have always gone for grey/metal hulls, prominent Warp nacelles and bridge modules, deflectors (usually), and the rest is really era-dependent. TOS used simple shapes, TMP introduced art-deco, perfect circles, and functional machinery, TNG went organic with ellipses and TNG+ (FC and so on), introduced 'black box' elements on to the grey shapes of TNG, but keeping the organic profiles.

Now, the "scales" I see in Atlom's design keep bringing me back to the segmented hull sections on DS9 (and by extension, Cardassians as a whole). Though when arrayed as feathers I see the scheme working as Romulan/Reman designs as well. So it's odd to see them on Federaiton vessels, since no Federation ship has segmentation this way.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:11 am »
That "scaled" look is also very much an Atolmian thing - just the way he makes a lot of his panel designs :). I like how it looks on the Mann - it's much more gritty than most feds go, and that speaks as to the pre-TOS nature of it.
Robinomicon

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »
Oh; this another one of thoughs CCCP types?