Topic: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1  (Read 34089 times)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2015, 05:22:59 am »
 8)
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 07:38:49 pm »
Holy Moley!

I gave up on this long ago, saw d4v1ks's posts on busting through q3 documentation, then saw this!!!

THANK YOU D4V1KS!!!!!!!!

Now let me see if I can get this to work!!!!

Addendum:
Okay, real stupid question:
After extracting the rar ISO to C:>Users>[name]>Documents>SfcIso, what do you click to install the thing? Autorun.bat doesn't do anything.  And there's a setup.q3 file, but no setup.exe.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:43:46 pm by Tumulorum Fossor »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2015, 01:23:52 am »
You are talking about the rar file "sfcop + 2552 + op+4.0" right?
After extracting it there, you should be hable to run it wirhout doing an installation. Just start the starfleetOP.exe. If the game doesn't start, then its possible that you need to unblock it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:05:27 am by d4v1ks »

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:16 am »
When I click on StarFleetOP.exe, I get a window with error headlined, "StarFleetOP.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with a big red X symbol and the text: "The procedure entry point MiniDumpWriteDump could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dlumd9.dll"

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 10:42:13 am »
Seems like you are missing something...

I think its related to the page below. A driver issue.
Try to download the "Latest DisplayLink Software Release" for your windows.

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/downloads.php

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:46 am »
Though I do have a DisplayLink device which I have rarely connected to this laptop, the drivers were supposedly up to date. I did uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers in the link you gave, though.

But same error.

Sigh.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 12:09:25 pm »
Maybe its trying to use that display, that you rarely connects, and is not hable to find it!
could you try to disable it on device manager and try if it works that way?

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 12:25:23 pm »
There's no entry for the DisplayLink on my device manager (the DisplayLink is not hooked up... it's a little box that connects to a USB2.0 and thereby provides HDMI connectivity, with robust multimonitor support).  I suspect that if I hooked up the DisplayLink, THEN I would have a device manager entry.

Found reference to a similar error with someone trying to play game, Ragnarok Online (I don't know anything about that game), wherein he seems to have solved the problem by putting the dll in question in his Ragnarok Online install folder:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditRO/comments/2fxprj/game_fails_to_launch_entry_point_error/

But that didn't work for me.

I might just try to install myself to the user documents folder by digging out my old CD...

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2015, 12:35:42 pm »
Quote from: Tumulorum Fossor
After extracting the rar ISO to C:>Users>[name]>Documents>SfcIso, what do you click to install the thing? Autorun.bat doesn't do anything.  And there's a setup.q3 file, but no setup.exe.

This is strange. You should see setup.exe when you mount the Orion Pirates ISO. (I use Virtual Clone Drive to mount ISO files.)

But you found StarfleetOP.exe, so you installed the game to some extent. Maybe the ISO needs to be unblocked first.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:17:33 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2015, 02:03:54 pm »
It may be a good idea to replace the Setup.exe found in the ISO with the one provided in this thread (InstallShield 5, not 3): http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2015, 01:32:32 pm »
It may be a good idea to replace the Setup.exe found in the ISO with the one provided in this thread (InstallShield 5, not 3): http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

The setup.exe on the Orion Pirates ISO is InstallShield v5.50.137.0. It is 32-bit. I don't know what it is on the CD-ROM.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2015, 12:34:10 pm »
Ohkkaayyy, after months of OP working in Win 8.1 here, is now partly broken.

Since it had been stable and playable as stock OP with 2552 since August, I decided to copy over my favorite models, shiplists and music to personalize it. I had also gotten a little grief o/l about not having it someplace other than "Program Files (x86)," so I copied the entire "Taldren Software Inc" containing SFCOP to another dir ("C>Games"). When launched now, however, I  just get a black screen with music playing. I tried changing the sfc.ini entry "[Mouse] async=1" to =0, but it didn't help, got the same thing. When I copied the folder back to "Program Files (x86)" though, it works just fine - I can play the stock version, I can switch to my personalized "OP15a" variant and back and is very playable. I've copied the folder back and forth between  "Program Files(x86)" and other folders and the only place OP works in is "Program...(x86)." Any thoughts?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2015, 01:23:48 pm »
TAnimaL, I never had any success copying installed (i.e. registry written) games from one folder to another. I believe the registry "wants" StarfleetOP.exe to be in Program Files (x86), not in C:\Users\TAnimaL\Orion_Pirates, for example. Completely uninstall SFC:OP if you want to reinstall to a personal folder. Back in the days of Windows 98, I think you could cut & paste applications without much trouble. The OS didn't freak out.

Hmm... Maybe your desktop shortcut still points to the previous location, Program Files (x86)? If so, it will fail.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »
Thanks Tar, when I do a fresh install I'll try that. I'm not using the shortcut, using the starfleetop.exe w/in SFCOP. It runs, just a black screen tho.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2015, 02:34:20 pm »
Post your sfc.ini [3D] contents here. Something like:

[3D]
wireframe=0 ; If set to 1, this means use software rendering (generally slow but reliable) instead of hardware rendering.
windowed=0 ; If set to 1, this means use Windowed mode.
zbuffer=1
lowres=3 ; If set to a resolution greater than your desktop, it cannot work.
driver=0 ; 0 means use your "primary driver". I've not had success with other numbers.

Here are the options for "LowRes":
0 = (800,600)
1 = (640,480)
2 = (960,720)
3 = (1024,768)
4 = (1152,864)
5 =(1280,1024)
6 = (1600,1200)

...And you know about:

[Mouse]
async=0 ; 1 might work
hwblit=0 ; 1 won't work

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »
Whelp, I uninstalled altogether the DisplayLink software (I don't really use the DisplayLink device much anymore anyway), and lost the  "StarFleetOP.exe - Entry Point Not Found" error.

But now when I double click the StarfleetOP.exe file, there is a flash as two windows open up then close, too quickly for me to make out anything.  In the upper left corner of the desktop, is a black window that flashes into then out of existence. I THINK that's OP trying to run.  In the lower right of the desktop, I white window flashes in and out of existence. I can only make out the window title: "Debug Window".  Then nothing.

This is using the iso provided, and placed and the rar expanded in C:Users/[name]/Documents/SfcOPIso/SFC OP (v2552 + OpPlus 4.0 + EzINI) without key/Starfleet Command Orion Pirates .

I didn't alter the sfc.ini from the rar offered here.  My desktop resolution is 1920x1080.

Any ideas?

Oh, if I try to setup from the CD directly, the setup.exe doesn't do anything.  The disk spins a couple seconds after one selects "INSTALL" from the SFC Install window that opens, but then nothing happens and the window closes.

Sigh.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2015, 03:16:30 am »
Maybe you have something installed that os blocking the game to run.
Try to disable your anti-virus and firewall and test if it runs that way.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2015, 10:01:26 pm »
Even disabling Panda Security, and changing graphics processor from NVidia to Intel integrated graphics, still same result. :(
Sux.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2015, 05:11:53 am »
I didn't alter the sfc.ini from the rar offered here.  My desktop resolution is 1920x1080.

Any ideas?

You wrote that you hadnt altered the SFC.INI. Can you please open it and try the settings bellow?

[3D]
wireframe=1
windowed=0
zbuffer=1
lowres=0
driver=0

[Mouse]
async=0
hwblit=0

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2015, 12:47:06 am »
With those settings (which only changed wireframe from 0 to 1 from what I was running), the untitled all-black window taking up about 25pct of the desktop in the upper left corner no longer flashes, but lasts about 20 seconds, then disappears.  There is no flash of a white "debug" window anymore either, but still nothing playable.