Topic: Star Trek ships  (Read 42329 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: Star Trek ships
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2015, 03:01:29 pm »

Do you mind putting a hold on the rampant misogyny as well?

Rampant misogyny is what I live for.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2015, 07:57:01 am »
In season 6 episode Birthright, one of the female Klingon look like Saavic from ST 2-3

Season 6 Episode 12 About the hologram of professor Moriarty after the return of Voyageur did Star Fleet copy the EMH holo emitter for his and his companion?

Season 6 episode 26 the transwarp conduit, why Voyageur never replicate that to return to the alpha quadrant?

Season 6 episode 26 why did the Borg did not try to retrieve the "rogue" Borg into the collective?

Season 7 episode 1 the ensine on the bridge look like the girl from the relay station from season 6 episode 13 Aquiel.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2015, 09:03:36 pm »

Season 6 Episode 12 About the hologram of professor Moriarty after the return of Voyageur did Star Fleet copy the EMH holo emitter for his and his companion?

Season 6 episode 26 the transwarp conduit, why Voyageur never replicate that to return to the alpha quadrant?

Season 6 episode 26 why did the Borg did not try to retrieve the "rogue" Borg into the collective?

The holoemitter was advanced 29th century technology.  Duplicating it would be like giving someone from the ninteenth century a smart phone and asking them to make one.

The episode established that they needed a component from the Borg ships in order to use the conduits, which they couldn't duplicate, and were only good for a limited amount of time after the ship's destruction.  As for why they didn't re-assimilate seven of nine, the queen stated that she wanted someone who could think like a human as the collective had already expended far more resources than it should in its attempts to assimilate earth.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2015, 11:25:39 pm »

That event takes place nine years "in universe" before Voyager's return, two years before it was even built. So no. The device used was a sort of holodeck in a box.

Regarding after the return if I misunderstood, in addition to knightstorm's answer I'd add that Moriarty was and remains an extremely dangerous villain, no chance they'd ever even consider letting him run free.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2015, 06:39:21 am »

The holoemitter was advanced 29th century technology.  Duplicating it would be like giving someone from the ninteenth century a smart phone and asking them to make one.

The episode established that they needed a component from the Borg ships in order to use the conduits, which they couldn't duplicate, and were only good for a limited amount of time after the ship's destruction.  As for why they didn't re-assimilate seven of nine, the queen stated that she wanted someone who could think like a human as the collective had already expended far more resources than it should in its attempts to assimilate earth.

I was referring about the Borg that where with Hue. The Borg that Lore use for his experiment. They where not with the collective, so why the Borg have not go after them?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2015, 08:05:45 am »
Once a drone is disconnected from the collective, it is considered dead and gone for all intents and purposes as far as the Borg are concerned (unless there is an ulterior motive as with 7 of 9). There was an entire colony of ex-Borg that Voyager encountered. Unless the drone is carrying something vital to the Borg, it is entirely expendable.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2015, 08:26:57 am »

Transwarp is somewhat undefined. There seems to be at least two ways to go about it: Construct a (semi?) permanent "highway" that requires entry and exit at or near particular points in space and some form of outside mechanism to keep the transwarp conduit open (like the Borg and the Vaadwaur do) or have some sort of ship-borne engine that allows the ship to travel freely in and out of transwarp at will (like the Voth do).

Knowing what we do about the Borg, it would stand to reason that the conduit system is faster and more efficient (at least for longer journeys), but comes with the limitation of having fixed entry and exit points. Alternatively, the technology to place it stand alone on ships may be very hard to develop and produce. The Voth had hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of years to perfect it and they may be able to stave off the Borg without much effort, so the Borg may not have been able to assimilate that knowledge.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »
In seasons 7 episode 9 Geordy was talking about the Intrepid. I was wondering since Voyager is a Intrepid class, are they talking about the Intrepid from the Intrepid class or another ship?

Also what happen to Data's cat? We never herd of it in any of the movies.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »
He wanted too much money.  ;)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2015, 09:07:07 pm »
He wanted too much money.  ;)

Too much ?! He's a key character in the series, more important that Picard is  :crazy2:

Also one thing I was wondering, Picard is suppose to be French, but they chose  British actor. Also when he was a kid again they also chose a British actor. Not sure that Gen Roddenberry knew the difference between a British and a French ! Still good actor for the role tough.   

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2015, 10:01:46 pm »
Also one thing I was wondering, Picard is suppose to be French, but they chose  British actor. Also when he was a kid again they also chose a British actor. Not sure that Gen Roddenberry knew the difference between a British and a French ! Still good actor for the role tough.

Shatner was Canadian and they hired him to play an American.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2015, 11:59:14 pm »
In seasons 7 episode 9 Geordy was talking about the Intrepid. I was wondering since Voyager is a Intrepid class, are they talking about the Intrepid from the Intrepid class or another ship?

Also what happen to Data's cat? We never herd of it in any of the movies.

Based on the timeframe, its possible that the Intrepid in question was the lead ship of the Intrepid class, or it could have been the previous Intrepid which was an Excelsior class Starship which Sergei Rozenko served on.  It was the first ship to respond to the Khitomer massacre.  Its a safe bet to assume that he wasn't referring to the Essex class aircraft carrier which is currently a museum in NYC.

As for Spot, Data found her alive in the wreckage of the Enterprise saucer section at the end of Generations.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2015, 07:09:49 am »
You sure have many many questions.  :huh:

Its because i question everything  :knuppel2:

Shatner was Canadian and they hired him to play an American.

I know, but there are no real difference in the accent between Canadian and American, well depend where they came from.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2015, 09:08:55 am »
Why Data always says that he's unique like his brother did not exist ?

Also Why Lore wanted the emotional chips when he already have emotion?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2015, 12:30:12 pm »
I know, but there are no real difference in the accent between Canadian and American, well depend where they came from.

There is more than that

We don't have the extreme polarization on politics and religion.

We aren't as lawsuit crazy.  The whole lawsuit lottery thing doesn't play up here.

We don't have our film/TV program makers go "Hey that's a neat idea for a program, lets make our own version"  We just broadcast the original.

We manage to run a multi party system but they can only handle a 2 party system.

The war on drugs never really caught on up here and if it wasn't for the constant pressure from the U.S. we might have legalized marijuana a couple of decades ago. 

Canadian beer has detectable alcohol in it.  (Don't drink myself so that is only hearsay to me)

Women can go topless in public here. 

Prostitution is legal here (but buying from them isn't  :smackhead:).

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2015, 12:53:31 pm »
Well about the prostitution there is a small mistake, it was decriminalize, not legalize. I don't know the political BS of it but its just mean not much.  :police:

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2015, 03:52:21 pm »

We manage to run a multi party system but they can only handle a 2 party system.

We have more than 2 parties, but our government is structured in a way that tends to discourage membership in minor parties in favor of larger "big tent parties."

Women can go topless in public here. 

Canadian women must like their boobs freezing off.  Women can go topless in the US too depending on the state.  In my home state of NY women have had the right for over 20 years.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2015, 06:03:13 pm »
The only thing I have ever been told that explains the U.S. being only two parties is the "first past the post system" which is shared with Canada.  All my life we have had AT LEAST one semi major party along with the two majors and a bunch of "lunatic fringe" parties.  The U.S. can't seem to do the same.  Minority governments usually do a good job at humbling the politicians for a while. 

But we are straying towards Hot and Spicy.  I'd rather not have to move the thread so be nice guys.  :) 

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2015, 07:42:33 pm »
Well stay on topic  :D  :coolsmiley:

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2015, 10:51:15 pm »
The only thing I have ever been told that explains the U.S. being only two parties is the "first past the post system" which is shared with Canada.  All my life we have had AT LEAST one semi major party along with the two majors and a bunch of "lunatic fringe" parties.  The U.S. can't seem to do the same.  Minority governments usually do a good job at humbling the politicians for a while. 

But we are straying towards Hot and Spicy.  I'd rather not have to move the thread so be nice guys.  :)

Single member districts, and presidential democracy both tend to marginalize minor parties.  The US combines the two.