Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
We see you!
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:35 pm »
Community!!

We've seen what you've been doing.......

I'm getting some things spun up, and will be talking to Corbo this week.

Stay tuned, Starfleet Command lovers!

- Frey
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
Re: We see you!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:05:49 pm »
This makes me curious..... What's up your sleeve Frey?
Does it involve anything to do with SFC3?
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:20:50 pm »
The Community appreciates being seen, Frey.

We are doing our part to keep this grand old game alive. Long live SFC.  :)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »
4 weeks to crack the sprites.q3 and write the q3_editor,
2 days to discover and make the HD patches.
3 afternoons to discover, fix and test the gamespy fix.
1 evening to add random nebulas and a custom shield texture to SFC OP.
1 hour to figure out how to expand the model list of the SFC CE game to match SFC OP.

Do you see the pattern?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:22:36 pm by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:41:14 pm »
4 weeks to crack the sprites.q3 and write the q3_editor,
2 days to discover and make the HD patches.
3 afternoons to discover, fix and test the gamespy fix.
1 evening to add random nebulas and a custom shield texture to SFC OP.
1 hour to figure out how to expand the model list of the SFC CE game to match SFC OP.

Do you see the pattern?
the geometric progression of knowledge ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:50:18 pm »

I thought everyone would be happy with what we have achieved since December last year.
This was all done in less than four months.
But the truth is that not everyone thought the same way.
Maybe it is just me, but i imagine that this brief progress bothered some people.
For example, although Strat and Frey had shown some initial interest, and contacted me, offering any help i could need, that quickly dissipated and turned into indifference.
Noone shared any kind of useful information, that could had helped in something, and improved the speed of development of these things.
Overall, i got disappointed with this.
The only people who had the power to contribute to something bigger or better, do not share the vision of making SFC a better game, and prefer to see it as a memory of what it was once.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:33:00 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:53:04 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:49:45 am by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 10:32:09 am »
I thought everyone would be happy with what we have achieved since December last year.
Maybe it is just me, but i imagine that this brief progress bothered some people.
For example, although Strat and Frey had shown some initial interest, and contacted me, offering any help i could need, that quickly dissipated and turned into indifference.
Noone shared any kind of useful information, that could had helped in something, and improved the speed of development of these things.
The only people who had the power to contribute to something bigger or better, do not share the vision of making SFC a better game, and prefer to see it as a memory of what it was once.
For many hours i read the forums here in Dynaverse, and felt empathy for all the dedication given to this game, a game that revolves around a universe that we admire and enjoy.
Maybe there was a lack of vision to the people who could have made a difference.
So, i hope some of you have appreciated all the work and time dedicated to produce these small tools and modifications.
Like many of the talented people ignored along the years, i also announce my retirement of any kind of active development of tools and modifications, related with any of the current SFC games.
Long live SFC.

This is the third straight time Frey has squandered a Golden Goose. I really don't know what his problem is. How much more proof does he need?

Your decision is , of course, yours. Thanks for your work. I know I enjoy my game more because of it.

And now, a song that reflects your feelings of hard work with no appreciation:

! No longer available

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 10:46:29 am »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:49:58 am by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 11:18:57 am »

For many hours i read the forums here in Dynaverse, and felt empathy for all the dedication given to this game, a game that revolves around a universe that we admire and enjoy.
Maybe there was a lack of vision to the people who could have made a difference.
So, i hope some of you have appreciated all the work and time dedicated to produce these small tools and modifications.
Like many of the talented people ignored along the years, i also announce my retirement of any kind of active development of tools and modifications, related with any of the current SFC games.
Long live SFC.

I can't tell you what to do I can however ask. Please don't retire. Your continued involvement, knowledge and skills within this community are too valuable to loose. Just because some people don't recognise your presence, does not mean the rest of us feel the same way. I don't even play EAW/OP/CE and even I recognise all the effort and time you have sunk into it.

I admit that management such as Frey have shown less than ZERO acknowledgement of anything that has been done recently. Frey doesn't even answer the messages I've sent over skype let alone PM's here, even the threads asking for fresh Moderators who are active was ignored by management.

It's almost seems like he and the rest of the management don't give 2 f*cks about the community any more. Which is ultimately their loss not ours. 

Do not let their lack of anything pull you down. Just keep plodding on and do what you feel you must. If that means you retire then so be it. As I said I can't tell you what to do.

Just remember that if you do retire. Those of us here who do appreciate your contributions will welcome you back should you return.

A message to Management..... Get involved already before the community completely disbands.
Your collective dis-interest and inactions are getting ridiculous, you are driving away members of the community by not interacting with anyone unless it suits your own needs.... *Cough* SFC4 *cough*

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 02:29:00 pm »
d4v1ks, your work here has been nothing short of amazing.  Let me ask this, what do you need to continue working on this project?  Is it admin rights or site reorganization?  With Strat's retirement after the initial release of CE you and Tar are all we have left as Exeter's health issues seems to have left him unable to contribute.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 02:58:49 pm »
I try when I can but concur with sentiments.  SFC will continur on with or without us.

Sorry for my health issues, I am 61 aned disabled.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 03:17:02 pm »
d4v1ks, your work here has been nothing short of amazing.  Let me ask this, what do you need to continue working on this project?

See you are appreciated dude.

Damn good point. What can the community do for you d4v1ks? Since you've given the community so much.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 07:34:03 am »
I try when I can but concur with sentiments.  SFC will continur on with or without us.

Sorry for my health issues, I am 61 aned disabled.

No big deal Exeter.  I knew you had problems with your vision for a while.  I wasn't trying to come off as insulting.  Hope you get better soon.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »
what do you need to continue working on this project?

For example, taking a look at the mission api tutorial wrote by Nuclear Vessels, he asked:

"WHERE TO GET DYNAVERSE INFO INSIDE THE MISSION SCRIPT?
Once the mission has begun, somehow we would like to determine what the "outside universe" looks like. I would happily kill for any method of doing this!!!!!!!"

It's insane that the "community" has to work in complete darkness.
It just doesn't make any sense for me.
Why should someone spent 4 months writing something that he could have done in a week?
Information is a very powerfull thing.
It is really stupid that someone looking at hexadecimals could do things, that people with all the information in hands, said to be impossible.
It really doesn't make any diference that Taldren donated the code to the community.
Noone has added or improved anything on it.
If you install the SFC EAW and SFC CE on a windows 10 machine, would you notice any diference?
If i add the HD patch to EAW, the new logo, and the gamespy fix to it, if i setup a working server, would you even notice CE is better in any way?
Is the I.A. in CE better than in EAW? Is there any serverkit available for download? Mission api?
Strat, Exeter and Frey, did you had fun trying out the hd patch and the gamespy fix? Did you enjoyed navigate trought the Q3_Editor images?
Why you need to fool people with big words and announcements, just to let them down?

Take it with a grain of salt...
There are things much more important than games in our lives.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:03:15 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 08:13:26 pm »
what do you need to continue working on this project?

For example, taking a look at the mission api tutorial wrote by Nuclear Vessels, he asked:

"WHERE TO GET DYNAVERSE INFO INSIDE THE MISSION SCRIPT?
Once the mission has begun, somehow we would like to determine what the "outside universe" looks like. I would happily kill for any method of doing this!!!!!!!"

It's insane that the "community" has to work in complete darkness.
It just doesn't make any sense for me.
Why should someone spent 4 months writing something that he could have done in a week?
Information is a very powerfull thing.
It is really stupid that someone looking at hexadecimals could do things, that people with all the information in hands, said to be impossible.
It really doesn't make any diference that Taldren donated the code to the community.
Noone has added or improved anything on it.
If you install the SFC EAW and SFC CE on a windows 10 machine, would you notice any diference?
If i add the HD patch to EAW, the new logo, and the gamespy fix to it, if i setup a working server, would you even notice CE is better in any way?
Is the I.A. in CE better than in EAW? Is there any serverkit available for download? Mission api?
Strat, Exeter and Frey, did you had fun trying out the hd patch and the gamespy fix? Did you enjoyed navigate trought the Q3_Editor images?
Why you need to fool people with big words and announcements, just to let them down?

Take it with a grain of salt...
There are things much more important than games in our lives.

I feel your pain brother...

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 08:18:49 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:50:16 am by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 06:55:48 pm »
Community,

I am sorry I have discouraged you from continuing your work. I did step back to let you have room to express yourself and to get out of the way. The truth is everyone's work has been outstanding, and your progress was too fast for me to keep up! You didn't need me!

It's always my goal to enable other people to pick up the torch and surpass me. I'm sorry I am not on all the time to monitor all the things people have created for the game, including many, many people who have worked for the past 15 years on SFC, whom I have known. When I felt you all had the torch in hand, I got out of your way and focused on Real Life. You are obviously very capable creators!

As for the 'big picture', the truth is this game is nearly 15 years old with a small dedicated community. Many people here now and before us have invested hundreds of hours, sweat, and tears to make things a reality. In the end what seems to harm it are the creators' ability to work together. Here I am, I have offended another person by not even checking the forums! In the end, how some of you feel is exactly how I felt, and what caused me to take a break from active development.

I am sorry some of you may feel something negative towards me. It wasn't what I wanted. All I wanted was to give you the tools you needed to carry on the legacy of those creators before you, to pass me, and to let you go how you wish to go.

The only thing I can suggest is that, contribute for the sake of contributing, not for recognition. Because in such a small fragmented community, you will not get that. All you will get is a sense of joy from creating something new and the challenges you personally overcame to do it. I am still personally proud that without limited knowledge of C++, I took 10 year old VS 6 code, over a year converted it to VS 2012, and even rewrote missing code for the graphics library. I updated the code to call a newer DX API. Nobody knows how hard and fun that was but me. And I'm ok with that.

Regarding Exeter... I have the utmost respect for him. Not all here may know what he's done, and what severe health events he's been through to do it. I know just some. And nothing anyone could say would make me think ill of him.

Keep up the good work everyone, including Daviks, who after 10 years, finally made something of Q3! Keep up the good work if you are able. I'm sorry I let you down.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 07:13:35 pm »
I will admit. The main work of CE was to get the code in a new IDE, to allow all the advanced tools for programming, debugging, performance tuning, and just in time debugging, to allow me to learn how the game works. 99% of the work in CE is not visible on the outside. The one major thing that WAS fixed was Dynaverse support on Windows 7+
I did update the serverkit and missions, and fixed many issues in them as well. The serverkit suffered many age old bugs that I addressed during the conversion. I was not allowed to release it.
Sorry, I have seen the screen shots only. They looked great! I don't even have the game currently installed though.
I'm sorry.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 09:37:27 pm »
I did update the serverkit and missions, and fixed many issues in them as well. The serverkit suffered many age old bugs that I addressed during the conversion. I was not allowed to release it.

Why?