Topic: TOS Excelsior  (Read 13723 times)

Azel

Re: TOS Excelsior
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2003, 10:06:16 am »

Quote:

Hey Azel. Rod sent me the ship. It looks great! I like how you handled the sensor dish. Want me to do light maps for it?  

Sure if you want ...but first she needs windows and signage...without that we anit got much...  

Kaenyne

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2003, 10:10:51 am »
Hey Azel.

Just stopped by to say I like your Excelsior.

You have a LOT of good ideas in that head of yours and you always surprise me.

You think of stuff that never would occur to me...a TOS Excelsior? I never thought of that!

James Formo

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2003, 03:12:10 pm »
Hec yea,  this is nice. If you don't mind Azel. I may try giving a traditional TOS look texture wise. Though I know I said I was going to do a few other things that I never got to yet. There is just too much stuff coming out, can't put them in game fast enough. lol

Azel

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2003, 03:32:26 pm »
NP James go right ahead  

atheorhaven

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2003, 09:48:49 am »
Here's about where I am with this.. although I'm changing the lower saucer texture I tried back to something else..

The one thing that I've added since this shot was the registry lights... (and I'm boosting the amount of lighting on the nacelle glowies).  

Kaenyne

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2003, 09:56:32 am »
She's coming along very nicely.

I still think it's neat that Azel came up with this. So simple, yet so cool...

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2003, 10:14:28 am »
I like the idea and this model is very cool looking, but I think it still looks too much liike a TMP design with TOS engines.  The saucer, neck and drive hull would need to be redone completely in a TOS style.  I am not trying to criticize here,  it looks like a great start so far, but more work needs to be done to make it TOS.

Azel

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2003, 01:31:00 pm »
LOOKS REAL Cool so far Alec!!!
THanks!!!

Quote:

I like the idea and this model is very cool looking, but I think it still looks too much liike a TMP design with TOS engines. The saucer, neck and drive hull would need to be redone completely in a TOS style. I am not trying to criticize here, it looks like a great start so far, but more work needs to be done to make it TOS.  

Did you DL the Model yet man???
There is another version in there...alottle more retro looking...aspecially in the interhull.
I understand where you are coming from man, but  the ship was intended to be a Late TOS ship
Kinda like a mothballed project till TMP  

Steelviper33

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2003, 03:07:04 pm »
Quote:

Here's about where I am with this.. although I'm changing the lower saucer texture I tried back to something else..

The one thing that I've added since this shot was the registry lights... (and I'm boosting the amount of lighting on the nacelle glowies).    

Damnit ive been shown up
-=shrug=- lookin good!

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2003, 07:12:06 pm »
Quote:

LOOKS REAL Cool so far Alec!!!
THanks!!!

Quote:

I like the idea and this model is very cool looking, but I think it still looks too much liike a TMP design with TOS engines. The saucer, neck and drive hull would need to be redone completely in a TOS style. I am not trying to criticize here, it looks like a great start so far, but more work needs to be done to make it TOS.  

Did you DL the Model yet man???
There is another version in there...alottle more retro looking...aspecially in the interhull.
I understand where you are coming from man, but  the ship was intended to be a Late TOS ship
Kinda like a mothballed project till TMP  

I was in a hurry for work this morning, I didn't realize that it's up for d/l already, I'll check it out the other version, although both will be in my game I like them.

Rod O'neal

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2003, 09:00:37 pm »
Atheorhaven,
I don't often give suggestions to WIP, because I don't want to mess with the "flow" and like to see what the artist is going to come up with. If I can suggest one small thing though. What about putting the double red stripe around the top of the saucer like on the SFB War era designs? It might help with suggesting the late TOS look.  

Desty_Nova

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2003, 09:35:20 pm »
Double red stripe? You think I should add those to my feds?

E_Look

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2003, 12:15:53 am »
I like the way the dish sticks out of the secondary hull.

Reverend

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2003, 02:14:07 am »
Quote:

I like the way the dish sticks out of the secondary hull.  

Yeah, me too- really give it a proto-Excelsior look... still Excelsior, just as though it was going to be too expensive to build at that moment- maybe this hull built and then instantly retired or sent off to do purely science missions... is this the U.S.S Cousteau as mentioned in Hellion Documentary? Couuullld be....  

Azel

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2003, 02:38:28 pm »
Hey SteelViper..ant more updates from your version???  

Steelviper33

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2003, 02:52:57 pm »
http://www.freewebs.com/mckinnley_station/TOS Excelsior 1.txt

Thats all i got, I just mashed it with Atra's Textures...looks okay, but im not entirely content with it, im gonna see what i can do to fix it in a few days.

atheorhaven

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2003, 12:33:40 am »
I could do that... really, I could.  

(Had to remap the saucer so that it'd accept a standard saucer-type texture anyways, so adding those two red lines will help with the look.)

But here's my take on things...

Let's say that the Excelsior project was a project that was a long time in development (like the original Connie).  It could've started off as a testbed for new technologies in TOS times, and had multiple problems like underpowered nacelles (the technology not being in place yet for TMP and the higher powered TMP engines) structural reinforcement problems (a lot larger ship than even a Star Empire), and a good number of other problems that weren't resolved by the end of TOS.  At this time, it'd have recieved and kept NX-2000.

However, with the refit of the Enterprise, new tech was available.  A relook would've been done with the new tech available to refit and finally get the Excelsior flying and out of mothballs.  The warp engines would've been totally rebuilt to provide more power for the huge ship, the hull totally rebuilt, and few systems would've been left.  And then the transwarp engine project came up.  Another hull reinforcement, and upgrading of the SIF generators to try and handle the stresses of transwarp.  And then transwarp failure.  Going back to the rebuilt non-transwarp engine design with all the new SIF changes and other transwarp reinforcements remaining in place.  And there we go.  

However.. mouahaha.. I have another idea that I'm trying to send to Azel in private for this design as well.. (grin)..  However his Hotmail email addy appears to be not working, and all that... so methinks I need to send him a PM here on Taldren..

Azel

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2003, 08:54:37 am »
Send the message to:
 Odontotyrannus@aol.com  

wanderer

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2003, 11:09:55 am »
I look forward to the completion and release of both projects.  A TOS Excelsior design has been long overdue, and two are always better than one.

Speaking of TMP to TOS designs, I remember someone was working on a TOS Constellation at some point...

Rod O'neal

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2003, 12:18:20 pm »
Well, I just popped Atra's Coventry-class in for my Miranda... Sure would be nice to replace the stock Excelsior next!