Topic: Voyager vs. Enterprise D  (Read 33670 times)

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
Voyager vs. Enterprise D
« on: December 11, 2004, 10:12:10 am »
So, who do you think would win between Picard and his crew on D, or Janeway and her crew on Voyager?  Feel free to compare the personnel to their counterparts on the other vessel. 

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
Re: Voyager vs. Enterprise D
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 10:17:37 am »
I don't think a Galaxy class starship would have any problems taking on an Intrepid class.

Besides, if one were attacking the other then one crew would have to have their minds taken over by a giant wobbly jelly alien or something.  :P
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 10:20:07 am »
OT.

Unless you are asking about Star Trek vs Star WARS.  Then you can post the topic here.

;D
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 10:22:09 am »
Huh?  What does O...Old Topic.  Okay.  Well, I wasn't sure.  I was actually more interested in how everyone would view the crews of the series, best captain, XO, yada yada than actual battle, because I do agree that Voyager would rip the Enterprise apart.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Lord_Sloth

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 11:06:30 am »
Hmm...Ship to ship I really don't know so I wont answer that...

Janeway vs Picard=Janeway. She's younger, smarter, and better than Picard.

Chacotay vs. Riker=Riker. He overthrew a Klignon commander, taking over his ship.

Tuvok vs Worf=I'd have to say Worf.

Harry vs Data=Data. Harry was just a wuss. Data can take bullet's in stride.

Tom vs Wesley=Tom was a fighter to a degree which is more than I can say for Wesley. Besides, I just don't like Wesley.

Dr.Crusher vs Doctor= Doctor. There's nothin Crusher can do to harm him really.

Geordi vs Belona=Belona. She's half Klignon.
"People are Stupid. They'll feel better as long as someone is punished."
~Rufus Shinra FFVII

Official Hater of Parma Eruseen.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 11:21:23 am »
So, who do you think would win between Picard and his crew on D, or Janeway and her crew on Voyager?  Feel free to compare the personnel to their counterparts on the other vessel. 

Hand to hand?  I think Picard and his crew of c. 900 would walk all over Janeway and her crew of c. 300.  ;)  :P

Besides, it really doesn't matter.  Kirk would raise one eyebrow and "take" Janeway while Dr. McCoy kicked Picard's a$$ and Spock took a nap.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 11:23:53 am »
Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Checkov, Uhura, & Scotty would burn their butts...
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 11:52:36 am »
First, Janeway would have better taste than to get together with the intergalactic whore named Kirk.  That, and she'd kick his butt just for good measure.
   Sulu would walk all over just about anyone that wanted to fight. 
   Spock would be able to deal with anyone except for Data, and then I'd give the edge to Spock for sheer ability to think outside the normal parameters.
   Doctors would be pretty hard to compare.   All three were good.
   Engineers?   I'd have to go with Scotty.  Give him a roll of duct tape and a bit of baling wire, and you'd be back in warp in no time.
   Best XO?  Spock. 
   Chekov was a moron. 
   Uhura was a radiogirl in a mini-skirt.  She was basically intergalactic eye candy.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 12:15:49 pm »
I think that Voyager would be able to take The E D for one reason. Voyager has some method of producing an unlimited number of photon torps. That has to give it the edge.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 12:26:56 pm »
The Enterprise also has an annoying tendency to lose its starboard power coupling after taking the slightest hit.  Even if the shields were up.

The more I watch how Picard behaves in TNG vs how he behaves in the movies, the more I'm convinced that the Enterprise=D was a poorly built ship and her captain was fully aware of it, hence his lack of aggression.  When provided with a more resilient vessel, he became more willing to engage in combat. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 12:31:57 pm »
Who cares? They both loose to a D'Deridex.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 12:35:37 pm »
Nah.  Those things strike me as big, expensive, white elephants.

Ever notice how the smaller, more manueverable ships tend to inflict more damage to the other side while avoiding the larger ship's counter blows?  Could be why most of the newer Star Fleet vessels are smaller and why the Valdore's in Nemesis have a much sleeker (probably to imply speed and agility) design.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 01:02:04 pm »
Also noticed how the Scimitar, twice as big as both the Valdore-types and the Enterprise-E, mopped the floor with all of them? The Enterprise-D and Voyager got beat up plenty of times by ships bigger than them. The Valiant Defiant-class got the unholy Hell beat out of it by that Jem'Hedar battleship in seconds (remember Nog saying how much of a danger it posed to anything in, what, sixty lightyears?). And I don't remember swarms of smaller attack vessels taking down larger ships in the big fleet battles that much, either. It was mostly relatively small attack ships destroying the other small attack ships, like scriminshing destroyer screens. 

Also, I tend to think that the D'Deridex and Valdore fullfill different roles. I view the D'Deridex as more of a anchoring ship-of-the-line or battleship, while the Valdore-types are more along the lines of frigates or cruisers.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 01:13:43 pm »
Swarms of Jem'Hadar fighters seemed pretty effective against large numbers of D'Deridex class Warbirds when the Tal'Shiar was lured into the Founder's trap.

I agree with you about the D'Deridex's role in the fleet, but one on one, I suspect a more manueverable ship, such as the Defiant could do quite well versus one.

Of course, that's WHY they'd have screens of smaller ships...

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 01:30:17 pm »
I think the big D was quite an ambitious ship when it was made, not the first in its class but a more solid shaken down version. I always thought the look of it was interesting and while most ships built after it took on more of an anti-borg style the Intrepid design seemed to continue with the design elements of the Galaxy class. Both were built for exploration in mind but while the Intrepid had well rounded defenses the Galaxy class starships had a better offensive capability, not counting it's size.

It would be interesting to see if Janeway would have the knowledge to take advantage of some the Enterprise D's weaknesses, if she did the battle would be a lot closer.
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 01:43:14 pm »
There were maybe twenty warbirds in that fleet, the rest were Cardassian Keldons. I believe the Jem'Hedar fleet counted some hundreds. Not sure if they brought some of their battlecruisers or not. Did they learn how to defeat the shield-piecing qualities of the Jem'Hedar phased polaron weapons yet? Don't believe so... In anycase, we didn't actually see the battle, so we don't know how well the Romulan/Cardassian fleet truly fared against the odds.

As to one-on-one, I would remember the cloaking device the D'Deridex has, which should give it the element of surprise and superior positioning. And considering the opening salvo from a D'Deridex is enough to knock down the Enterpise-D's shields to twenty percent, I do not believe it to be far fetched to say that a smaller attackship could be destroyed outright.

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2004, 07:15:11 pm »
Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Checkov, Uhura, & Scotty would burn their butts...

Man you're OLD!!   ;D ;D

Right on bro.  :thumbsup:
The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Lord_Sloth

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2004, 07:18:17 pm »
Swarms of Jem'Hadar fighters seemed pretty effective against large numbers of D'Deridex class Warbirds when the Tal'Shiar was lured into the Founder's trap.

Umm...What?
"People are Stupid. They'll feel better as long as someone is punished."
~Rufus Shinra FFVII

Official Hater of Parma Eruseen.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 08:57:11 am »
As to one-on-one, I would remember the cloaking device the D'Deridex has, which should give it the element of surprise and superior positioning. And considering the opening salvo from a D'Deridex is enough to knock down the Enterpise-D's shields to twenty percent, I do not believe it to be far fetched to say that a smaller attackship could be destroyed outright.

And yet their firepower seemed insufficent to quickly destroy one of their own scout ships in the episode with the defecting Admiral.  I agree they could probably swat a Dominion attack ship, but those things don't exactly seem to be built with survivability in mind.

In any case, there is very little consistency on-screen when it comes to the D'Deridex-class.  Probably because as combative bad-guys go, the Romulans are under-used.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 01:09:51 pm »

And yet their firepower seemed insufficent to quickly destroy one of their own scout ships in the episode with the defecting Admiral.  I agree they could probably swat a Dominion attack ship, but those things don't exactly seem to be built with survivability in mind.

In any case, there is very little consistency on-screen when it comes to the D'Deridex-class.  Probably because as combative bad-guys go, the Romulans are under-used.

That would be because they weren't trying to kill him.  They're Romulans, after all.  They wanted it to look like that Admiral was defecting so that he'd be a more effective plant.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.