Topic: The Forge - Info and Feedback  (Read 105818 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
The Forge - Info and Feedback
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:40:39 pm »
The Forge is up and running again, the map has been edited (# of planets cut in half) and the newly revealed terrain types added "organically". Tracey's latest scripts have been added to the mission list and its running on the latest serverkit build on SQL. I have made some SQL settings that I think may help (never done before) which in addition to recent improvements to the serverkit have me feeling pretty positive.

If the players can muster the numbers for a load test (25 players), by all means go ahead, let me know here if it crashes.

The map will still give you that "lost in space" feel when you login, and its clear that your work will be cut out for you. I'm looking for feedback on the map, and the status of the shipyards. (buying directly from the shiplist on the webmap shipyard is disabled for now, but I can enable it if really desired - I intend to develop it a bit more and put in an OoB interface, but that won't be ready for a while yet anyway... I'm putting priority on battles reporting and I'll probably have it integrated into the forums first... ;))

It requires Firesoul's OP+4 and The Forge scripts pack.

The webmap is here.

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
Re: The Forge - Info and Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 01:54:05 am »
Logged on and to say you might feel lost in space is very true ;D

Um   just one little question. all I see in the yards are CCs, CAs, and CLs=Death Trap. I'm a Droner! I need my DF ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 07:19:52 am »
Better to be mirak than a fed, just be stingy with your drones.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 08:04:45 am »
Um   just one little question. all I see in the yards are CCs, CAs, and CLs=Death Trap. I'm a Droner! I need my DF ;D

I'll take a look at the frigate production probablilites just for you old man! Hmmm, or maybe I should just turn on purchasing from the shiplist on the webmap shipyard so everyone can play/test happily...

Gotta go take a look at a friends PC - I'll check the yards later today...

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 08:16:55 am »
Any way to make sure that everybody, or nobody starts on a home base/planet?  Before the reset, I signed on as both mirak and fed. The fed account signed on in a hex that I could supply in, the mirak account did not. 

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 01:21:03 pm »
I've been too busy with AOTK2 to logon the forge, but will get on tonight.
 Just keep Soreyes' droner off my a**.    ;)
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Pojo92

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • "Raise your hand! Raise your hand if your sure!"
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 01:22:15 pm »
Signed on today and everything seemed to work Okay.  Would gladly sign on to fly with/against human players any time.
"The Red Death had long devastated the country.  No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its avatar and its seal--the redness and horror of blood."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 02:01:01 pm »

I thought about it, and the problem with increasing frigate production probablilities is that the Lyrans and Roms will complain that there are too many frigates in their yards. ("shipyard spam")

So I enabled purchasing from the shiplist on the webmap shipyard, so for now you can buy whatever you like off the shiplist under the "General availability ships" column. (plus this is a draw for many). I haven't  been at the code for this for a while, not positive I've got it right, but reasonably sure... a purchase from the webmap shipyard to test will let us know.

Ships purchased from the shiplist on the webmap shipyard will enter auction in the server shipyard and come in after one turn as normal. (at least they should if I have everything working right again).

Also noticed I have ships priced pretty darn cheap!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 02:09:40 pm »
Any way to make sure that everybody, or nobody starts on a home base/planet?  Before the reset, I signed on as both mirak and fed. The fed account signed on in a hex that I could supply in, the mirak account did not. 

Yes, this should be possible. Just need to decide whether everyone should start on a supply or non supply hex and then add or remove planets accordingly. Any preference for the starting suply condition? (also need reports of the starting hex from at least two accounts from each empire)

It is irritating as all empires have at least one planet, but the kit seems to start players wherever it damn well feels like it.  >:(  Hopefully if   I modify the current starting hexes the kit won't change them on an updated map on a reset. (it seems more difficult to predict when the map is as sparse as this...)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 02:10:49 pm »
I've been too busy with AOTK2 to logon the forge, but will get on tonight.
 Just keep Soreyes' droner off my a**.    ;)

Just opened purchases from the shiplist, (see above) sorry... ;) But you can buy whatever you like to counter it however!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 02:13:31 pm »
Signed on today and everything seemed to work Okay.  Would gladly sign on to fly with/against human players any time.

Thanks for the report! You can check how many are logged in on the webmap front page, and see who (and where!  :o) using the "Who's Online" link...

BTW, I once setup a server that would only give missions when a human enemy player was in your hex, nobody liked it though... <scratches head...>

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 02:17:23 pm »
Wait so what youre saying is in future campaigns, we could tell the shipyard to make a ship that we want, and after one turn it will be there? Awesome!
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 02:46:23 pm »
Wait so what youre saying is in future campaigns, we could tell the shipyard to make a ship that we want, and after one turn it will be there? Awesome!

You can do so right now! (on The Forge, using the webmap shipyard)

Re: future campaigns, they'll need to run on SQL to do it this way, but with enough testers we might find that this version of the serverkit is ready for it, if not, the data gathered can only help.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 02:55:37 pm »
I was unable to sign on with a second account with your reset. I had 2 accounts on monday, but when I went this afternoon to add a gorn account in addition to my mirak, I watched the clock count down to almost zero, so I gave up after 3 or 4 attempts at this. I also note that wioth my first account that it take 25 to 35 seconds on the counter to actually get onto the map screen, while it's usually 5 seconds on the typical server.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 03:06:19 pm »
Lemme try a login...

I also note that wioth my first account that it take 25 to 35 seconds on the counter to actually get onto the map screen, while it's usually 5 seconds on the typical server.

A function of the network, irc server and hardware - I can do nothing about it. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 03:14:31 pm »
Just tested a login, 27 seconds from the time I pressed the "Join" button on the serverlist till my map was up and centered and the chat channel joined. Not unreasonable.  (on 31.2K dial-up)

Going to try a Gorn account now...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 03:29:18 pm »
I was unable to sign on with a second account with your reset. I had 2 accounts on monday, but when I went this afternoon to add a gorn account in addition to my mirak, I watched the clock count down to almost zero, so I gave up after 3 or 4 attempts at this. I also note that wioth my first account that it take 25 to 35 seconds on the counter to actually get onto the map screen, while it's usually 5 seconds on the typical server.

I just tested a second account login in as Gorn with a different gamespy account. It was 7 seconds from the time I pressed the "Join" button at the serverlist till the race selection dialog came up, then 18 seconds once I selected a race and name till my map came up centered and joined on the chat channel. Again, perfectly reasonable.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 03:34:14 pm »
The important part to note there is that I used a separate valid gamespy account. I also tried another account by using the "change the case of one letter of the e-mail" trick, it would not let me login and timed out on login counting down after the security check.

It is entirely possible that that old trick will no longer work with the changes made to the serverkit, that was never an intended feature, but rather a non-critical bug.

It is also possible, since you said you had two accounts yesterday that gamespy has changed their login server behaviour in terms of case-sensitivty in the e-mail address...

So, did you use a separate gamespy account or the change one character of the e-mail address trick?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 05:59:59 pm »
OK after flying on it for a bit I noticed a few things...
-Still too many planets!  (I already cut them in half - I'll half them again)
-News spam as there are no cartel hexes. And the Empire economies are too close. (we really need to fix that in the kit)
I'll leave it like it is for a day or two for some more feedback before I change the map and reset it again.
...almost there...

Looking good otherwise, Soreyes bought a DF off the webmap, suprise, suprise...  ;D

I need to ready some rules. (no forfeits, legal fleets... etc.)

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 06:04:10 pm »
Have DF Will Travel ;D

One other thing I noticed was a very nice selection of missions. To me it seemed that there were a equal amount of EEK, TG, and ED missions

[img width=600 height=150]