Topic: OT: You have to see this !!! WOW  (Read 28135 times)

Offline Cromwell

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • These are the voyages...
Re: OT: You have to see this !!! WOW
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2008, 07:34:12 pm »
I'm curious, is gabe still active anywhere cause i saw you left him that note on sci-fi meshes and as of yet i've seen nothing. is he just not on or ignoring?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2008, 08:40:24 pm »
I don't know? There is a point that it's considered legally that a reasonable effort has been made to contact the IP owner. At that point you can use the IP for nonprofit reasons and it's OK. If the IP owner appears afterwards they can tell you to remove it and you have to comply (obviously), but with no further liabilities for using the IP. You can't be sued, for instance.

This could very well be what Gabe is doing by not responding. Without a response it's OK for me to post it, but he can at any time respond and tell me to remove it. If I had his permission he might loose some rights. I'm not a lawyer, but this is how the copyright laws read to me.

With that said, I'm not just concerned with the legal issues. I'm also concerned with ethically using something without permission.

I've tried 2 e-mails to him. I'll try 1 more and see if I can get a response.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Cromwell

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • These are the voyages...
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2008, 04:31:55 pm »
I dunno, I feel why your saying that Fallen Warrior but I think Rod's right, after a period of time and repeated attempts to contact the owner, you got something. I mean it doesn't take much effort to reply back a fat no or yes. it seems to me gabe might just not be online at all at this point. Since Rod would remove the source immediately if gabe ever did tell him to stop it, it seems completely legit to me. I've never read the copyright laws but I'm under the impression that no legal action can be taken against you for something that is non-profit. It's not like gabe is trying to sell his idea, not that he'd have the legal right to either. When it comes down to it, it's really just about respect. I think Rod worked hard and has more than tried to get the gabe's attention. It seems more than fair to me. Before anyone says it, my opinion has nothing to do with my desire to get this model. That's my honest opinion. In just about anything that goes around in the world, when you drop out of the game and stop playing for a long time, the world can't stop and wait around, gotta go on without you. It's like that with relationships, with jobs, with anything, including copyright law. If you stop claiming your copyright, there is an expiration date for claims. No disrespect intended towards gabe or anyone.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2008, 01:07:40 am »
Copyright length for art is life+70yrs. I was just stating the law as I understand it, not my intentions.

I am concerned that my releasing my version of his design might devalue it commercially somehow.

Gabe actually was online at scifi-meshes 1hr before I messaged him. Just missed him. ::)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2008, 05:49:56 am »
Copyright length for art is life+70yrs. I was just stating the law as I understand it, not my intentions.

I am concerned that my releasing my version of his design might devalue it commercially somehow.

Gabe actually was online at scifi-meshes 1hr before I messaged him. Just missed him. ::)

Question is, has he been online since?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2008, 02:05:41 am »
No, he hasn't. He is still active, though. He's just not an everyday visitor.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2008, 04:41:15 am »
Understandable.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.