Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137397 times)

Offline Kinneas

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • a.k.a. Tony Tuthill
    • Star Trek Gaming Podcast Hailing Frequency
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 04:48:24 pm »
My heart has skipped a beat and I have been jumping for joy!

What a dream team you are gathering.

I can not wait to learn more and to help spread the great news. I hope you will consider us for press releases and interviews, etc.

-BEST OF LUCK!  GODSPEED !

SFC, EAW, OP   vs   SFC3
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:57:40 am by Kinneas »

Cpt. Chaos

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »
SFB purist (Commander's Edition II) here,

Not to be negative or anything, but what's the legal/licensing status?  'Under-the-radar' abandonware?  Some kind of 'grandfathering' or extension clause of the previous license?  Some kind of o.k. from You Know Who in La La Land (official, verbal, or otherwise?)  How much of this is now in the public domain, how much do you own outright, etc.

Wishlist:

Call me a moron, but I never could get my numeric keypad to properly manipulate my shields, etc.  Better keyboard controls, and even the ability to remap every (really every) function.

I'd even vote for a hex-grid and 32 impulses, should anyone get real ambitious with this...

Chaos

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »
SFB purist (Commander's Edition II) here,

Not to be negative or anything, but what's the legal/licensing status? 'Under-the-radar' abandonware? Some kind of 'grandfathering' or extension clause of the previous license? Some kind of o.k. from You Know Who in La La Land (official, verbal, or otherwise?) How much of this is now in the public domain, how much do you own outright, etc.
Thank you for your inquiry in regards to the licensing for Starfleet Command 4.

Please contact Frey Petermeier at the following email:

frey@xenocorp.net

in regards to your question.

Thank you.

Wishlist:

Call me a moron, but I never could get my numeric keypad to properly manipulate my shields, etc. Better keyboard controls, and even the ability to remap every (really every) function.

I'd even vote for a hex-grid and 32 impulses, should anyone get real ambitious with this...

Chaos

As for your keypad.. First you have to launch your game from the correct EXE game file..

SFC 1 - Starfleet.exe

SFC 2 : EAW - Starfleet2.exe

SFC 2 : OP - StarfleetOP.exe

SFC3 - SFC3.exe

Keypads will have to be mapped in the Options Menu and make sure your numeric pad is locked for numbers.

Other than that the keypad should work correctly.. Running the game from the wrong EXE file will introduce bugs that have been fixed in the EXE files listed above.

It also depends on the OS you are running.. In Vista.. there are many things to do for a proper install.. XP is pretty easy.. main thing on any system is to not install or patch game with Anti-Virus running.. most AV systems will corrupt the game files.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Ravok

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 05:33:41 pm »
I know this is a stupid question, but is this really for real???  I'm not calling anybody a liar, but this sounds too good to be true.

If it id true, I will be whipping out my check book, to do my part. ( No BS)

Just hold on to that checkbook, but yes, this is REALLY for real.

Like I said, we'll be making the "press release" soon.

Regards,

Frey you are a god!!!!!! :) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: You don't know how long I have been wishing for this.

Just let me know when to chip in my part. :)

Ravok

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 05:41:15 pm »
I agree with Lot of you refits, and officers, are a must!!!  It gives the game more depth. And gives you something to strive for, other than just blowing things up.

Also a side game like in SFB1 would be excellent. Where you get recruited into special units, would also be out standing.

It gives you a sense of accomplishment, and really gives the game depth.

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 05:42:05 pm »
Biggest w00t in a while !

I want my plasma bolts
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Tethys

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 05:48:08 pm »
I am a skilled artist I can provide ship designs/schematics i will be emailing u shortly with a few hand drawn and mspaint drawn samples, however i have no skill at all doing renders/3dmodeling and that sort of thing. i love star trek woot! XD

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 05:58:58 pm »
Well, once i get a modelling program again, i can help...this sounds like what we've been waiting for ;D
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline Walleye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 07:14:56 pm »
I am so happy to hear this news I'm gonna dig out my freaking red shirt and wear it to work tomorrow!!

I wish you all well on this project and can't wait to see what becomes of it.

Offline AoS

• Ensign
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 09:26:14 pm »
I can't say I have any major skills to contribute, but I am a quick study, and good with cleaning up typos and the like. :)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »
I've worked as a journalist, and I'm a fiction writer.

If either is any use, send me a PM.

Oh...and I can deal Texas Hold 'Em and Omaha. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2008, 02:27:23 am »
Getting my check book out ;D

This is great news.  I also like the Idea of  refits, and officers. OMG  My Z-DWD with Legendary Officers and Crew. Just think of the Hate, Hell, and Discontent I could cause Deep Striking ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 02:38:18 am »
I wonder how much of the officer system is still in SFC:EAW from SFC1?  It might not be that hard to bring back online in the game.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2008, 04:36:21 am »
If ya need another modeler, gimmie a shout ...

JM.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:43 am »
Going to give a push this weekend to see if I can finish up the Q3 breakout (still working on the graphic format).  It is about the most I can do ATM.  But willing to analyse other code areas or files to see if I can break them out also.

Maybe just a janitor right now, but an Electronic Warfare Analyst still rests in my heart (and a programmer is sleeping in there too).

Offline Cyberkada

• Balut Eating Keeper of Shadows
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • And so it begins
    • Babylon 5 Starship Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 05:50:03 am »
Where do I sign up?

I already am working on a SFC4/ B5Wars type project.  Strip out the Babylon 5 stuff, add SFC resources and off we go.

See screenshots in the OP forum and in other games.

The Q3 breakout?  We can develop similar graphics with a new-tech engine, and reverse-engine SFB once again.  Programming is not the hard...

---------------------------------------------------------
Babylon 5: Starship Commander
Project Lead
http://www.b5sc.com

Babylon 5: Severed Dreams
Lead Prograamer
http://fltc.firstones.com/

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 07:00:12 am »
Where do I sign up?

I already am working on a SFC4/ B5Wars type project.  Strip out the Babylon 5 stuff, add SFC resources and off we go.

See screenshots in the OP forum and in other games.

The Q3 breakout?  We can develop similar graphics with a new-tech engine, and reverse-engine SFB once again.  Programming is not the hard...

SFC4 from my understanding isn't going to be a work from the ground up.  So the Q3 file will probably still be needed.  The main thing is why write your own code to do the Q3 stuff when it is there are works.  Write your own and you start a large debugging project to make sure it works perfect.

Only trouble with the Q3 is the format of the sprite data, header is readable but not in a format of any normal image file, and me not a graphics guy makes it a fun excercise, sort of like doing this. .  :banghead:

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 07:02:36 am »
missing Bonk, we progressed quickly when we were bouncing ideas off each other.  Hoping things work out for him in RL.

Offline Cyberkada

• Balut Eating Keeper of Shadows
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • And so it begins
    • Babylon 5 Starship Commander
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 08:13:59 am »
The reason why is core graphics and what not (GUIs) need updating for 2008.  Particle effects, lighting, bump and other specular mapping and so on.   If that can be coded (add a script interface for dynamic GUIs and missions - like LUA?), rewrite or improve client-server gaming with zonal servers running SQL (I'm aware or the SQL DB projects).  Just some suggestions.  I'm more than willing to write code for this (it won't interfere with my mobile and console development works)
---------------------------------------------------------
Babylon 5: Starship Commander
Project Lead
http://www.b5sc.com

Babylon 5: Severed Dreams
Lead Prograamer
http://fltc.firstones.com/

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 08:48:37 am »
If SFC4 is going to use the already established MOD format for the ship models, which is a safe bet since we're all familiar with the format, and it allows ships already in existence to just be put into the game, then specular and bump mapping won't really work.

If the graphics engine is updated enough, bump mapping, or a work around to achieve similar effects, could work.  However, the MOD format for models doesn't support specular mapping.  A new model format would have to be adopted or created to take advantage of specular maps.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.