Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137383 times)

Ravok

Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 04:52:56 am »
I''ll be making a post later on this weekend about some ideas we're currently planning to implement in regards to SFC4.

Consider it a kinda "to whet your whistle" thing.

We can then do a Q/ A.

Regards,

Frey you are the man!!! :) :) :) :thumbsup:

Offline Akira_Commander567

• Zachary "the Marksman" Rich
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2008, 06:19:02 am »
Good luck with SFC 4! May luck be with you and get the game out quick!
The truth is like a thriple-edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:11 am »
Miles is in so i guess that means im in lol... but no... its the biggest thing since slice bread this, so when you finally start putting her together, im in for whatever you need, models, textures, mapping, importing, new forums???, images, videos, animations etc

good luck guys.

Offline Tethys

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2008, 10:09:59 am »
I'd be happy to do some music composing for the game, if you want. I could give sound effects a go too, though I don't have much experience with them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xsky8ny5zvo
^^A demo of some of my music^^

OMG i LOVE the 3rd segment before the technoe bit awesome stuff. i do music as well, mostly hiphop/rap tho my email is csadens777@hotmail.com email me and i will send u a demo of some of my stuff. i also did a bit for a ST Birth of the Federation mod so let me know and we can do something. latez.

Tethys

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 04:08:44 pm »
Well if you need any help painting the Gorn ships pink, then I am you ma....errrr.....gender confused lizard.
♥ ♥ ♥  GDA Kroma BaSyl  ♥ ♥ ♥
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2008, 08:15:48 pm »
Good luck On the SFC 4 guys :thumbsup:  Id like to say im in but sub standard wont work . I have been waiting for this for a long time and cant wait to see the results. Ill have to mod my own personal mod if its going to be modable that is.
Is the model format going to change any?
Time for life!

Offline psytce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2008, 01:10:01 am »
Just wanted to say thanks, I can't wait to see this.    :) :laugh:  :D

I'll try to help as much as I can with bata testing as the builds come out.

This is great news .......

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2008, 08:21:09 pm »
Great googly moogly. Time to plot shoving Hex out an air lock.

So SFC4 will allow us to continue to kill Hexx? 

Great, looking forward to it.

Cruis.In

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2008, 10:21:25 pm »
good to see the fans are making games, just like they're making movies.

I wish to offer you a healthy constructive suggestion, one which will save you headache.

i dont know the facts of sfc2 orion pirates, you have access to the actual engine code? or just the game code? do you have any of it?

assuming not, then stay away from C++ and that kind of environment, takes years to develop something with a full huge team of programmers working in that environment much less a fan project, with people with real liives and limited time to devote to such a project unless you let it take over your life.

theres many things out there you could use.

blitzmax, with the blitz3d sdk, best of 2d/3d game OO programming you could get. easy simple coding, for experienced programmers.

theres other stuff such as ogre3d which is open source etc...

dont let the yesteryears fool you, things like blitzmax are powerful enough speed wise etc, to get what you need done.

Offline FPF-Thrain

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »
Good Grief!

I step out to take a smoke and I return to find you all suffering from delusions of granduer! I certainly hope this pulls through. You've definately gotten my attention, (and so did that lil' thing Soreyes has bouncing in his avatar! lol).

Tell me when the shooting starts. I may be old and slow compared to some of you whippersnappers, but I don't believe there's a hand here I haven't handed my head to.......wait..... that didn't come out right!

Now I lay me down to sleep.
Frey and company my game to keep,
If it starts before I wake,
It's Krueg I want, so make him wait!

lol

'Hail Gurthang! No lord or loyalty dost thou know, save the hand that wieldeth thee. From no blood wilt thou shrink. Wilt thou therefore take Túrin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly?'
And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.'

Offline FAR

• Ensign
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2008, 10:50:52 pm »
I've moved this to public development (suggestions).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:30:44 pm by FAR »

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2008, 10:56:54 pm »
I have a question for the Project Manager:

Why haven't you consider NanoFX Game Engine?

Have a look at it, shouldn't SFC 4 look like that?

I don't think they have looked at it because the game will be an extention of the SFC:EAW code.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2008, 12:22:39 pm »
Mind if I toss my hat into the writer's circle?  SFC, after all, is where I got my start.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline mstrobel

• Ensign
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2008, 07:29:28 pm »
Hi there,

I'm the lead developer of Star Trek: Supremacy (I'm not sure if you've heard of it or not).  Congratulations on the new project--it looks very interesting indeed!  Might I make a few suggestions from my own experience developing a Trek fan game:

• I highly recommend developing in C# against the .NET platform.  It generally enables you to produce a working product in a much shorter time, and without such a steep learning curve.
  • Ditch the NDA, non-compete, and proprietary code.  Go open-source instead.  You will find very few developers who are willing to commit hundreds if not thousands of hours of their free time to a project while giving away the rights to their code.  On the other hand, you will find many more people (developers and non-developers) who are willing to commit time to an open-source project, because such projects inherently have a much more transparent development cycle, and everyone can clearly see the status of the game at all times.  This lets people know that you're actually producing something, and it's not all just hot air :).  Trust me on this one--I know it's not easy to put your stuff out there, but in the end it's worth it, and there are some great reciprocal licenses out there that protect your IP from misuse or other people taking credit for your work.

On a side note, Supremacy is also developed in C# against the .NET platform, and there is certainly a potential for collaboration.  Supremacy will eventually sport a 3D tactical combat engine, which your game will obviouly need as well.  It might be worth discussing a sort of joint venture there, as both games are Trek-based and the basic combat requirements may be similar.  On another side note, such collaboration would require your project to use a compatible open source license--as would collaboration with most other open source projects, and even the use of some open source game engines.  Another good reason to go open source :).

Cheers,
Mike Strobel

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2008, 12:28:40 am »
We at the GFL will help. I have one programmer in college working C++. I would like to offer input in a admin position as discussions on what route what weapons ect. I run the admin status of our mod team and right now we are number one with sfc3. We also have designers, skin developers and sound people. So let me know what ya want and we will assist. My contact is tljones@vcn.com

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2008, 12:36:55 am »
For those offering to help on SFC 4.. Please put an application in with Braxton in accordance with the first post..

You do not have to be just a programmer.. you can have graphics experience, Music experience, etc.. the initial posting was just for an example to fill out for your skills.. Scripters, writers, so forth.. put your apps in.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »
Dammit, I forgot to input my experience as a vocalist. Can't forget the opportunities for voice overs. :P

Should I re-mail my application?
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »
I would, just to be safe
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline psytce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2008, 03:44:40 pm »
For those offering to help on SFC 4.. Please put an application in with Braxton in accordance with the first post..

You do not have to be just a programmer.. you can have graphics experience, Music experience, etc.. the initial posting was just for an example to fill out for your skills.. Scripters, writers, so forth.. put your apps in.

When I was having trouble with SFC1 I found your posts and they helped me.
Then when I was wondering about SFC2 you posted that you had an update for SFC:OP that would fill in for SFC2:EAW, this saved me from buying both EAW and OP...... It seems that everytime I needed help with SFC you were there to help ... So, I don't know how much I can help, but I've Emailed my programming set and I'll see if I can help you as much and you have helped me ......

Thanks,
Tommy

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2008, 04:04:22 pm »
What I would like to say about this game is to keep it on par with all other new games coming out.This is so that others don't have hand up keeping the features the saame as SFC2 or SFC3.This is like me vs players like say Dizzy on a server who have more exprience or Crim.It is why I can't compete no matter how much time I put in practicing they know the shiplist off by heart.

When I went over to play GW I was ona level playing field with others as it was a new game.