Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137622 times)

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
SFC 4 Project
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:24:16 pm »
I will just open by saying this is probably the post many have been waiting for a long time to see.

I'm proud to officially announce the launching of the Starfleet Command 4 project.  The D.net staff has been working hard setting up the resources, drawing up the paperwork, getting the development machine ready.

The next step is getting the word out to the whole community.  To get the project off the drawing board and into production, we need people: programmers, modelers, artists, campaign designers.  One thing I know not many have thought about, but we also need people with skills in sound design and composition; they would be a huge asset.

If you would like to help out with this project, please fill out the form below and submit it to frey@xenocorp.net. All information is required.  Your name and address will be kept confidential and are only required to send the required paperwork.

The current plans on the table have the project being written in either C++ or C#, so programmers who would like to join the team must be fluent with the C/C++ language.

Name:
Address:
Phone# :

Job (IE: Programmer):
Skills (IE: C++/SQL):

Contact Email:

MSN Messenger (If applicable):

Please include a piece of sample of your work as an attachment.

Applications will be accepted indefinitely, but to get in on the initial development stages, please have your application submitted by May 31st.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:36:38 pm by FA_Frey_XC »
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:33:33 pm »
Please note that anyone doing any work will be required to sign:

1.) An NDA
2.) A non-compete agreement

and will release any intellectual property rights to their code, artwork, or anything else contributed to the Dynaverse Gaming Association.

This is standard stuff if your a dev in a company, which the DGA is.

:D

and before anyone goes ballistic or gets crazy - this will be released without a single CHARGE. Once it's done, we'll be releasing it to the community for no cost.

Now, if you get so happy you want to make a donation to help out, by all means, you should know where the link is ;) but I'm not going to post it here because that's not what this is about.

WOOT!!!!!
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:18:39 pm »

<does best Arnold Horshak voice>

Oooh ooooh ooooh!!!!  Me!   Me!!  Me!!!

;)

dave

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:50:44 pm »
First off,  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OK, got that happy out of the way...

Other than monetarily, I don't know what I can do to contribute. I really want to... So...

Do you have need of story editing? Someone who can catch your mushy grammar, dot your "i"'s and cross your "t"'s?

Czar "Please be Vista compatible," Mohab

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:15:19 pm »
 :o

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG YAY

Okay, needed to get that out of my system.
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:17 pm »
Is there any broad information available that can be disclosed?  IE, is this an SFB-based game or SFC3ish?

Please say SFB   ;D
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »
Well, Lepton, I'll drop this little nuke as well:

Rick Knox, remember him?

He's joined the team. Him and possibly another individual who did work for Armada I & II.

They're already talking about updating the graphic engine to something much more recent.

There's a reason we're doing SFC4, other people are doing Bridgecommander 2, etc... and that is because they are different games.

So, please, can't you just show some type of positive support for the Community? Or is that just beyond you?

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:29:44 pm »
Is there any broad information available that can be disclosed?  IE, is this an SFB-based game or SFC3ish?

It will continue in the SFC1 / EAW / OP with a SFC3 interface available if the end user wishes it. So, you'll have a SFC3 UI if you really want it, but can go to "advanced tactical mode" and run the EAW / OP style interface with full control over everything.

The game will be extremely mod friendly.

Look for a much more indepth "press release" here in a few days.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:33:05 pm »
  Awesome to hear, now when my programming skills get better, maybe I will try and jump aboard.  Until then, I shall Woot you on.
 :woot: :woot:
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »
We are all going to work hard to make the Best damn tactical simulator that the Trek Universe has to offer with the technology we have today.

We are doing it with both community members and professional help.

This thread is an open invite for those of you with skillz.. Just send in your application in accordance with the first posting.

As I have stated all over the web.. D.Net has great things to come and we have several projects in the works.. this is just the big project for you.

Thanks for your support everyone. Long live Starfleet Command !
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 11:00:54 pm »
We are all going to work hard to make the Best damn tactical simulator that the Trek Universe has to offer with the technology we have today.

Then either completely embrace SFB fully or totally abandon it.  No SFC3 half-assedness 
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:54 pm »
Starfleet Command 4 will continue to utilize the methodology that made the SFC series of games one of the best selling Star Trek games ever.

SFB provides the perfect background framework to handle the combat stuff, management, etc. IN regards to the GUI, we're going to offer the SFC3 style UI OR the EAW / OP UI.

Bottom line. It's the GUI. Please read the posts and don't start a SFB or nuthin crusade when we've just announced that we're going to do this.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

busta191

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 11:30:09 pm »
Will SFC4 require SFC2 or SFC3 installed to use?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 11:37:16 pm »
SFC 4 will be a stand alone production and will not require EAW, OP or SFC 3 installed to play.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 11:44:45 pm »
Can I make one suggestion for an add to the game.

Can you have the game set up sub=directories for different servers for saving the shiplist, ftrlist, and special files.  That way you would get rid of the need to back out and run mod-chooser to change servers.

Then have the server when checking to see if the files that are needed are there, if found that you don't have them (first time on server) have it be able to download those the files needed.  Would just be an easier way for people to get onto servers and to have more special servers without the hassels.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 11:56:03 pm »
That is one of the Ideas that I was having as well.. as Frey said.. the game will be highly modifiable, and as such, that would definitely be a feature we will look into. I'm not sure of how much of the functionality you are asking for that we can put in.. but we will check it out.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:04:52 am »
That is one of the Ideas that I was having as well.. as Frey said.. the game will be highly modifiable, and as such, that would definitely be a feature we will look into. I'm not sure of how much of the functionality you are asking for that we can put in.. but we will check it out.

It should be fairly straight forward.  Use the game directory as an override of the main files.  Thus if it is in the subdirectory, it would be used over the general one. 

The file passing should be mostly easy and not take to much time as the main files changed would be shiplist and ftrlist (both small).  But depending on how you modify the game for Moding you could have a few extra files to pass also.

Looking forward to any news, and heck if 20 year old programming skills are needed give me a yell.  My last program I worked on was under Dos (but it was C++ at least), even had to do the windows style stuff by hand.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:52 am »
I have an interesting question.. What new things will work with the other SFC games, Will SFCers be able to access the q3files? and other files that were denied access too?

Well, Q3 is half broken out now, just need to get the image files to work out and that would be modifiable.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:32 am »
You magnificent bastards!

If I dont make the testing team...I'm going on a thread locking binge... ;D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48:31 am »
Other question that comes to mind, is the code going to be written so it is cross-platform (linux/mac/windows) natively so that only one source would be needed to be maintained (that is if you guys are planning on porting to other platforms to open the user base alittle more)?

Or Windows based with possible porting at a later date (or just windows).

(not a person who ports games, but know that it would be easier if planned for in the beginning).