Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137594 times)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2008, 04:28:35 pm »
What I would like to say about this game is to keep it on par with all other new games coming out.This is so that others don't have hand up keeping the features the saame as SFC2 or SFC3.This is like me vs players like say Dizzy on a server who have more exprience or Crim.It is why I can't compete no matter how much time I put in practicing they know the shiplist off by heart.

When I went over to play GW I was ona level playing field with others as it was a new game.

yeah, the guys who play alot are going to kick our butts.  But I play for the one in a hundred chance to beat one of the big guys.

Same with 2142, I will never be able to fly well, but I keep trying, heck I think I might have even got a kill the last time before I was rudely blown out of the air (numberous times).

But with SFC I enter a mission, I still have to fire off a probe to check the weapons of the enemy, even when I have seen what the ship is.  And heck who knows you might be up against me and that would be a level playing field (maybe even tilted in your favor).  There are more noobs out there (even tho I have played the game for year, I took a multi-year break so I am back to ground zero)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2008, 06:21:27 pm »
Honestly guys...the only way to get any better is to play people much better than yourself...get the snot beat out of you....dust yourself off...smile...and beg them to play again....

When I got SFC1 in 11/98...I almost took it back....it took me two weeks to learn how to beat a damn frigate controlled by the AI...the game was so different to anything I had ever played before...I just couldnt get the concept...

When I found M-player...it was demolarizing...After bangin on the AI for month or two I thought I was king...I was in for a very rude awakening...I got my hat handed to me so many times I lost count...again..I almost gave it up...

It was Dennis Green (SFC Shadow) and Scott Bruno (Captain Krumb) who taught me the basics...Taught me to think of SFC as I think of chess...

I got beat by the best of them...over and over...OscottyO..NTDN, sfaret, Crimson Knight, Kirk Jr, the masters...I didnt know at the time they were all the inner circle team...

This is when I decided to concentrate on one race...until I mastered it...as you can see...I'm still flying Klingon...partly because of my fleetmates...partly becuase I still dont feel that I have mastered Klingons...I'm dangerous...but even after ten years...I'm no ace...I still get smacked around a bit..There are guys I've never beaten....but it's a GAME...I have no fear...fear is the mind killer..

If you can get you hands on one of Dennis Greens' strat guides....he has some excellent drills to hone your skills...

If you cant get one or dont have one...I can post some drills in the tactics section...

Another good thing to do is to find a sparing partner, a person with the same skill level, and simply play battles with the same ships...over and over...this is relaxing and much less pressure than trying to get a good game together on the Dyna...

And quite often...some of the guys offer training sessions...Die Hard is an excellent pilot and a master of the federation...Just ask him..he'll find the time to help you guys out...

Much like chess...you will never advance your own skills if you only want to win and play people of lessor skills just to beat them up...

One cannot become a master...unless one can beat a master...

The fun is in the battle itself...not the outcome...

If the only fun I had was winning....I'd have given up long ago... ;)

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:05 pm »
Honestly guys...the only way to get any better is to play people much better than yourself...get the snot beat out of you....dust yourself off...smile...and beg them to play again....

When I got SFC1 in 11/98...I almost took it back....it took me two weeks to learn how to beat a damn frigate controlled by the AI...the game was so different to anything I had ever played before...I just couldnt get the concept...

When I found M-player...it was demolarizing...After bangin on the AI for month or two I thought I was king...I was in for a very rude awakening...I got my hat handed to me so many times I lost count...again..I almost gave it up...

It was Dennis Green (SFC Shadow) and Scott Bruno (Captain Krumb) who taught me the basics...Taught me to think of SFC as I think of chess...

I got beat by the best of them...over and over...OscottyO..NTDN, sfaret, Crimson Knight, Kirk Jr, the masters...I didnt know at the time they were all the inner circle team...

This is when I decided to concentrate on one race...until I mastered it...as you can see...I'm still flying Klingon...partly because of my fleetmates...partly becuase I still dont feel that I have mastered Klingons...I'm dangerous...but even after ten years...I'm no ace...I still get smacked around a bit..There are guys I've never beaten....but it's a GAME...I have no fear...fear is the mind killer..

If you can get you hands on one of Dennis Greens' strat guides....he has some excellent drills to hone your skills...

If you cant get one or dont have one...I can post some drills in the tactics section...

Another good thing to do is to find a sparing partner, a person with the same skill level, and simply play battles with the same ships...over and over...this is relaxing and much less pressure than trying to get a good game together on the Dyna...

And quite often...some of the guys offer training sessions...Die Hard is an excellent pilot and a master of the federation...Just ask him..he'll find the time to help you guys out...

Much like chess...you will never advance your own skills if you only want to win and play people of lessor skills just to beat them up...

One cannot become a master...unless one can beat a master...

The fun is in the battle itself...not the outcome...

If the only fun I had was winning....I'd have given up long ago... ;)

Very well put, Crim.
Maybe I'll put off that agony booth... :P ;D
I had a similar story, as a 15 year veteran of SFB, I came into SFC1 with great confidence, only to get my ass consistently handed to me online.
I joined a fleet, DOA, and members there helped me  a lot with the conversion from a rule soaked board game to a 10 seconds-per-turn video game.
But, I still went 17 losses before I won my first match on Mplayer (remember Mpig?  ::):-[
But, I learned with every loss what worked and what effected game play.
Team-mates help.
Ask your opponent where you made your mistake if you don't know, especially if you get spanked, ask them to be honest and accept the brutal answer and, most important, LEARN from it,
Practice, practice, practice.
In any online game, I don't care what it is, the best players are those that practice, take genuine advice well, and enjoy the challenge of learning how to do it well.
You want a "If I can't win, I don't want to play" game, well, maybe you should look elsewhere.
*word*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:45:04 pm by KBFLordKrueg »
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline KBF-Kapact

• No matter how much Paramount and Viacom abuse and neglect and generally make a bloody mess of Trek, and despite the fact that they seem to have intentionally stuck a knife in it's belly, technically they still own it.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old enough to know better, but I just don't give a
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2008, 12:40:43 am »
I've said this so many times I can't count, but I positively stank at this game for years. But the KBF has always stuck with me and helped out whenever possible. I've got a decent record against the AI, pretty good hex flipper, but to my recollection have only one (and it was disputed) PvP victory. But I enjoy it, and I appreciate the fact that I'm welcome in the KBF despite my record of battle..... winning is great, but I'm pretty happy just playing....

Kapact
KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}
http://fantasytrek.blogspot.com/
http://houseabukoff.blogspot.com
http://kapactsrant.blogspot.com/
http://startrekenterprisevirtualseasons.blogspot.com/

Klingon Black Fleet
"...laughing, undefeated..."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2008, 03:22:12 pm »
That is what I said, in a longers form.  I play to play, I really enjoyed the mornings what I could log on and chat an fly with Deadman and crew.  (my schedule changed again so mornings might be back in for me).  When I hit PVP I sometimes win, sometimes lose, but always have fun (in a damn damn damn *boom* kind of way).
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Ravok

« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2008, 05:08:44 pm »
I've said this so many times I can't count, but I positively stank at this game for years. But the KBF has always stuck with me and helped out whenever possible. I've got a decent record against the AI, pretty good hex flipper, but to my recollection have only one (and it was disputed) PvP victory. But I enjoy it, and I appreciate the fact that I'm welcome in the KBF despite my record of battle..... winning is great, but I'm pretty happy just playing....

Kapact

I used to have the same problem back when I played on game spy with the GFL. But the more I played the better I became.
 I also played allot of "Training games" in single player. I turned up the game speed to 11 and cranked the game up to hardest difficulty as well. This really helped me think fast,and improved my skills. Because you get used to the faster speed. And your reaction time becomes better,it becomes instinct ,because you don't have time to over analyse the situation..
 The only drawback I have now is I think game speed 9 is too slow and boring. :)

Offline KBF-Kapact

• No matter how much Paramount and Viacom abuse and neglect and generally make a bloody mess of Trek, and despite the fact that they seem to have intentionally stuck a knife in it's belly, technically they still own it.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »

Kapact

I used to have the same problem back when I played on game spy with the GFL. But the more I played the better I became.
 I also played allot of "Training games" in single player. I turned up the game speed to 11 and cranked the game up to hardest difficulty as well. This really helped me think fast,and improved my skills. Because you get used to the faster speed. And your reaction time becomes better,it becomes instinct ,because you don't have time to over analyse the situation..

I never really thought about that. I'll have to try it. Thanks  ;D

Kapact
KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}

Klingon Black Fleet

Ravok

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2008, 09:45:41 pm »

Kapact

I never really thought about that. I'll have to try it. Thanks  ;D

Kapact

Q ' apLaH !!!!

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2008, 01:01:17 am »

Kapact

Being a part of KBF isn't always solely based on player aptitude.  ;D
And, IMOHPO, you'll never get better at PvP fighting AI.
That's theory vs practical application.
Practice and teamwork is the key.
Wing up on ATOK 4, Kapact, we're still there for ya... ;)
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2008, 01:03:00 am »
Or you could try out the OP Hardcore server.. I have it running the OP + v4.0 using the stock Conquest game map, but my settings will toss some serious opposition at you.

If it still seems too easy, just let me know and I will increase the chances of 2 or 3 AI coming at ya.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2008, 02:32:56 am »
great to hear that you guys working on SFC4 and i hope you have enough creative designers to get good designs for all races not just an overwhelming Fed fleet. :)

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline SFCJB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2008, 03:20:26 am »
Wow, this is the best news I have heard in a long time. I started playing sfc1 back in the mplayer days and it was a blast. Voidwar and I would team up and smack peep around daily.  mmm magic photons.....

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2008, 10:19:04 am »
Hi,
Great news.

If ya wanna learn the game face me I am the best player ever.

Worfy :D

Offline KBF-Kapact

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2008, 12:47:49 pm »

Kapact

Being a part of KBF isn't always solely based on player aptitude.  ;D
And, IMOHPO, you'll never get better at PvP fighting AI.
That's theory vs practical application.
Practice and teamwork is the key.
Wing up on ATOK 4, Kapact, we're still there for ya... ;)

rock on....
KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}

Klingon Black Fleet

Ravok

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »
Or you could try out the OP Hardcore server.. I have it running the OP + v4.0 using the stock Conquest game map, but my settings will toss some serious opposition at you.

If it still seems too easy, just let me know and I will increase the chances of 2 or 3 AI coming at ya.

Yum yum !!! :) that sonds like fun!! is it in downloads section??

I need to get back into the swing of things,and kill some Flat Heads.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2008, 06:36:55 pm »

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163380514.0.html
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Ravok

« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2008, 06:40:03 pm »

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163380514.0.html

Thanks Pestalence ! :)

I look foward to getting my butt kicked. It only makes me better in the long run.

Offline Walleye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:01 pm »
Wow, this is the best news I have heard in a long time. I started playing sfc1 back in the mplayer days and it was a blast. Voidwar and I would team up and smack peep around daily.  mmm magic photons.....

Perhaps the end of your post should read "smack some people around daily". LOL/JK

Good to see you still lurk here.

I'll never forget Void's "300 Late Me Fed You Dead" rooms.

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2008, 06:55:28 am »
i found something of interest that may or may not be healpfull it seems that Havok is offering their software for free to non commercial use.http://tryhavok.intel.com/

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline doctagh

• Ensign
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2008, 12:38:40 am »

Greetings,

So is it done yet...............

Just kidding. I have to say that this is the game that I am the most looking forward too.  I have notified my clan (the Klingon Honor Brigade) and my favorite computer forum (Arstechnica) about this great news !  Really I can hardly wait !  I do not think that you have to reinvent the wheel for this to be very successful. Just make a little bit better game then SFC3 and update the graphics and my God it will be great.  It would be cool if you could put a couple of aspects from st armada in it like building things and such.  I wish you much luck and God speed.  Not to be a total p'tak but when is the ETA?  The online game portion of sfc3 are  some my fondest memories.  I can hardly wait to play again !

DocTagh