Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137610 times)

Offline Scott_Bruno

• http://www.ispeedonthe405.com
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • ispeedonthe405.com
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2008, 09:44:37 pm »
My fav quote from your site Scott:  Scott: "Oh yeah. I forgot we don't live in a sci-fi movie."

There a bunch more gems, but for some reason I don't quite understand that one stood out.

I only wish I could remember the context of that one. Regardless, I've decided that I will live in a sci-fi movie if I darn well please. I'm working up a scheme to get things like the lights and the music going via voice. I think I can even pull off part of it with C#. For the interface, you know? I might even go to the Dark Side and use WPF. And Microsoft's speech recognition stuff works surprisingly well for something that's totally free. From there it's just a USB interface to some kind of switchbox, some very simple wiring and bam! I live in a sci-fi movie. Computer, increase coolness by 25%.

Offline Ramagar

• Ensign
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2008, 10:12:32 pm »
Hey all!

My opinion is this.  The reason SFC3 and ST Legacy were so dismal is they were dumbed down

Thanks! And I'm sure the last couple years' worth of whatever work you do were complete sh*t.

WTF is that all about?

Scott was on the SFC development team.  He helped create SFC3.  You insulted the game, and by default, the time and effort he put into the game.

You figure it out.

Ok.  So, he didn't bother to actually read what I was getting at and why, IMHO, and most that play SFC, SFC2 and OP thought about what came after.  It was not meant as a personal insult just my opnion of WHY it ...err didn't hold up against a game like OP or SFC2.  It's the same thing that happened to SWG when they came out with the revamped game...they dumbed it down, tried to make something based on canon and not gameplay and it died a quick death.  So it begs the question why, with the success of SFC2, OP iIMHO should have been an upgrade and not a new game, didn't anyone try and perfect SFC2 to be more like SFB (to a fine point)?  I will tell you though, if I did screw up programming (which I do) on a multi million dollar VOIP installation I would have been forced to fix it.  I also wouldn't be personally insulted if someone explained in detail why it failed.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:05 pm »
Ram,

[Edited due to me not obviously knowing the whole story  :-X]

Now -  :woot: this is so damned exciting that I can't believe it.

Wow!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:47:39 pm by FA Frey XC »
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Ramagar

• Ensign
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:30 pm »
Ram,

In all honesty, you don't really have any idea what your talking about. Taldren wanted to make SFC3 everything it could be - it was Activision that screwed that pooch. So your basically pouring salt in a wound that's likely almost closed, then rubbing it with a steel bristle pad and going "DOES THAT HURT!!! DOES IT!!!"

So please drop the attitude and show some respect.

Thanks.

Now -  :woot: this is so damned exciting that I can't believe it.

Wow!

See, I didn't know that all I know is the result as an end user and consumer.  So Activision screwed the game to hell eh?  Well I tell you what guys if you are looking there used to be another star trek combat system by FASA back in the day that actually was pretty damn cool.  Sorry, I am NOT trying to make someone feel bad about anything.  What is done is done and I am pleased make that estatic about ANYONE that is looking to make a better SFC series game.

Offline Scott_Bruno

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • ispeedonthe405.com
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2008, 11:14:42 pm »
See, I didn't know that all I know is the result as an end user and consumer.  So Activision screwed the game to hell eh?  Well I tell you what guys if you are looking there used to be another star trek combat system by FASA back in the day that actually was pretty damn cool.  Sorry, I am NOT trying to make someone feel bad about anything.  What is done is done and I am pleased make that estatic about ANYONE that is looking to make a better SFC series game.

You know what? Just forget I said anything. Seriously, I overreacted. The thing is, I've made a bunch of games and SFC is one of very few that I feel personally about. That's all. I was a (scripting) modder, dude, and my first professional gig was this very game. So, even now I feel close to this series on a level that even more 'successful' games didn't reach. A lot of us did, and probably still do.

So yeah, several years later it's not like I'm not used to accepting criticism. Goes with the turf. I just tend to take it personally when it's SFC, and especially the last one.

Let's just all drink a toast to blowing the crap outta' your friends in space.  []?

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2008, 11:26:34 pm »
Let's just all drink a toast to blowing the crap outta' your friends in space.  []?

Amen!  Sadly, I'm the one who's usually takin' the lickin' but someday.... :D

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2008, 08:57:18 am »
Scott,
  I am pleased to hear from someone on the team for sfc3. The game is alot better than sfc2 and op in my opinion. First as a captain of a fleet you dont control the items in micromanaging as you did in early versions thats what officers are for. You just give orders they should know thier duties. I would like to invite you to try what we have done with sfc3 as the GFL has taken a lead role in repairing the game to what context we have. If you have the game let me know and try the legions at war version. If you know of anyone I can contact for the sfc3 code let me know and I will get it done.

Offline Scott_Bruno

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • ispeedonthe405.com
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »
If you know of anyone I can contact for the sfc3 code let me know and I will get it done.

I wish. No, I don't know of anyone who still has that code. I suppose there's a CD sitting in a box somewhere in Activision's closet but it would probably be easier to get your hands on the Colonel's secret recipe.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2008, 03:59:17 pm »
If you know of anyone I can contact for the sfc3 code let me know and I will get it done.

I wish. No, I don't know of anyone who still has that code. I suppose there's a CD sitting in a box somewhere in Activision's closet but it would probably be easier to get your hands on the Colonel's secret recipe.

Isn't Mr. Yeast (I believe that is right) one who might, I know he was offering to help when the servers were taken offline.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Scott_Bruno

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • ispeedonthe405.com
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:03 am »

Isn't Mr. Yeast (I believe that is right) one who might, I know he was offering to help when the servers were taken offline.

No idea. Problem with SFC3 though is that the ratio of living to dead corporate entities isn't in your favor.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2008, 09:12:36 am »
Alright, I'll talk to Frey.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:woot: :woot: :woot:                                                                                                   :rwoot: :rwoot: :rwoot:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »
It is quite exciting to see the beginnings of SFC4. What an awesome time to be an SFC fan and a game player in general.

Offline SPBane

• Ensign
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2008, 04:05:07 pm »
This is awesome news!!SFC rocks! I loved the first one when it came out,and liked SFC3 even better! No other game has made my heart race so in pvp! Thats the part I miss the most. I dont know if it was all the different mods that came out that split up so much of the playerbase,or people just lost intrest? But I'd hate to see this great game die.... Its too darn fun!! I'd be happy to offer my time for any play testing that may be needed.

Offline Scott_Bruno

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • ispeedonthe405.com
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2008, 10:38:27 am »
This is awesome news!!SFC rocks! I loved the first one when it came out,and liked SFC3 even better! No other game has made my heart race so in pvp! Thats the part I miss the most. I dont know if it was all the different mods that came out that split up so much of the playerbase,or people just lost intrest? But I'd hate to see this great game die.... Its too darn fun!! I'd be happy to offer my time for any play testing that may be needed.

If anything I'd say it's the mods that have kept it going this long. Without them I don't think the game would still have a pulse today.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2008, 11:03:05 am »

If anything I'd say it's the mods that have kept it going this long. Without them I don't think the game would still have a pulse today.

Not entirely. There's still a dedicated group on Gamespy that plays with nothing more than an expanded shiplist. That and the SFB nutters who still haven't found a better tactical game give the old girl some legs too.

Offline SPBane

• Ensign
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2008, 02:27:43 pm »
Aye yes,I'd say your both right on both counts. With the new legs,would also unite most who played different mods and older versions.And again bring new life to this fun game! Back to the days of 100 or more people on a server in a given day. I for one would be happy to pay for an sfc4,and even pay to play on a server if need be. I've played quite a few games over the years,but this is one I always seem to come back to,no matter how old.

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »
So, you're going to redo SFC1, SFC2OP, and EAW, all which were SFB based. True, SFC3 was dumbed down, but it added a lot of playability and "friendliness" that was not at all present in before. I proudly own and play all 4 of the series, and am still at a loss. What are you guys going to do to 3 games that to me here just mods of one another? I saw very little change in any of them whatsoever except SFC3.... SFB is fun, but very unfriendly and stifling, and will not attract any new attention. I ralize no one involved cares either.  A PF here, slightly different weapon configurations.... same old game for the first 3.

I do understand and am excited for a totally fan-based game, esp nice seeing all the old hands I recall chiming in.
My main question is-
What new functions or new styles is it you all are truly seeking in this project that would make SFC4 any different than just another mod for SFC1.2.OPEAW?

I am not trying to cause any fuss or be a naysayer... I've been away for a while and am a little lost, and seeking an education.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2008, 01:36:24 am »
About 10% of SFB is in SFC. There's lots more that could be added. More races with all new ships, systems and weapons, just for starters. If I were making it, which I realize I'm not, I'd add boarding party and ground combat. There could be a whole strategic level added. Any of these things would make it a whole new game with lots of reasons for new players, as well as disenchanted old players, to join in.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2008, 04:53:25 am »
About 10% of SFB is in SFC. There's lots more that could be added. More races with all new ships, systems and weapons, just for starters. If I were making it, which I realize I'm not, I'd add boarding party and ground combat. There could be a whole strategic level added. Any of these things would make it a whole new game with lots of reasons for new players, as well as disenchanted old players, to join in.

I would agree.  In my belief SFC4 should be an evolution not revolution.  The game already is the best, adding to the abilities is what is needed, not make a whole new game (if it was a totally new game, then it should have a whole new name not just a series number).

SFB has so much that can add to the game, but you have to be carefull on how it is added as it would be easy to add so much that it becomes unplayable because you have to much to control.  Writing better AI controllers for systems would be nice.

Going along with Frey and tracking crew.  Maybe link different scripting styles to each crew member (station) thus you can customize how your ship acts in combat.  That way you can't totally know what the other ships AI will do so it is harder to plan on how to fight it.  (smarter boarding party actions, no beaming over when the enemy drops a facing shield so he can alpha strike you when your AI drops your shield).  Little things like that.

Maybe add the ability to have local scripts in (pick your scripting language), so you can tweak your own ships way of fighting.  Making sure the scripts only direct action and doesn't dictate it would help keep people from cheating with them.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2008, 09:27:26 pm »
 8) Thanks for the explanation and the subsequent pique to my interest... I can do audio, but if anyone can script, program, model or texture, audio is second-rate to them. Nonetheless, I'll be around.

Godspeed, good fellows.