Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 137614 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:12 am »
Still trying to break the cryptic chaos of it all. ;)
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »
It might be in this thread or another, but does anyone know the status of the SFC2:EAW source code? I thought that Dynaverse.net still had it. If so, what are the chances that SFC4 would be based off of that source code -- and what legal and technical (if the EAW engine is a sound basis for computers running Vista, 7, and beyond) issues are getting in the way?

Although a similar but non-Trek game would be neat, I think that EAW already has 90% of what SFC4 would need. So unless it were completely necessary -- the only legal way to make a SFC4, even if it's not named that or even Trek-based -- what's the point in remaking most of the game? I've read posts about users who would love simply a version of OP that worked reliably with modern computers and networks. How far from this is EAW? Just a thought ...

Offline -E

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2010, 03:57:15 am »
What I'd have liked to see (but most assuredly never would've) was the ability to issue all orders and see their effects while paused. I also would've liked a toggle-able auto-timer-stop option for the end of every "turn."  Yes... exactly. I want a turn-based option. Then you can add all the optional complexity you want as requested above, and still have the ability to control it all... what I really wanted was SFB.

SFB was about strategy, not dexterity.

Offline Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Get In My Belly
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2010, 05:17:16 pm »
It might be in this thread or another, but does anyone know the status of the SFC2:EAW source code? I thought that Dynaverse.net still had it. If so, what are the chances that SFC4 would be based off of that source code -- and what legal and technical (if the EAW engine is a sound basis for computers running Vista, 7, and beyond) issues are getting in the way?

Although a similar but non-Trek game would be neat, I think that EAW already has 90% of what SFC4 would need. So unless it were completely necessary -- the only legal way to make a SFC4, even if it's not named that or even Trek-based -- what's the point in remaking most of the game? I've read posts about users who would love simply a version of OP that worked reliably with modern computers and networks. How far from this is EAW? Just a thought ...

Because open source would mean they could not sell this game, which I am thinking they are intending?

But hey, an update would be great.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #264 on: April 16, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »
This is a non profit organization.  They couldn't sell it anyway.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »

Because open source would mean they could not sell this game, which I am thinking they are intending?

But hey, an update would be great.

It's probably more likely because the source code, or any licenses, don't belong to DV.net. You can't give away something that's not yours in the 1st place.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Get In My Belly
« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2010, 11:27:52 am »
So.... an update?   :knuppel2:

Offline psytce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2010, 03:36:23 pm »
Literally, within days.

Regards,

from Feb. 2010 ...., must be long days ... lol

Still willing to help if I'm needed.

Tommy

Offline Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Get In My Belly
« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2010, 01:29:08 pm »
Heh

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2010, 03:56:29 pm »
Give Frey a break.
He had to have surgery,and is a weeeeee bit loaded with stuff right now.
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!

Offline JZoro

• Ensign
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »
So where is this SFC4? A 3 year post about this and absolutely 0 product. Does anyone here know that Star Trek has a MMO out? Yes, a Star Trek MMO that has been developed from scratch in less time than all bs in this post alone. What a crock!   

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2011, 04:25:41 pm »
 :troll:   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D ;D
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #272 on: March 16, 2011, 12:06:11 am »
So where is this SFC4? A 3 year post about this and absolutely 0 product. Does anyone here know that Star Trek has a MMO out? Yes, a Star Trek MMO that has been developed from scratch in less time than all bs in this post alone. What a crock!   

Yep, and they have a dedicated, funded software development company that's got a producer named "Atari".

We have volunteers and a producer named "Frey Petermeier" who pays for everything out of his own pocket!

What a crock!!!!

;)

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:34:41 am by FA Frey XC »
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #273 on: March 16, 2011, 12:31:52 am »
Oh....him again..

Loser.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »
I remember when this thread was first started.  Much has changed.

Rather that gt impatient (but I am) I wonder if I can help?  I have developed in C/C++ and taught myself C#  (not that different) and have written code for about 20 years.  Nothing recent as I do project management with a focus on getting applications etc out the door on time.

I also come with my own tools.  I even have some 3d rendering software but I never use it.

Any way I can help.

drdon@centurytel.net

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2011, 06:52:09 am »
Cool. Send Frey a PM with your contact details and interests. I will be contacting several people in September.

A lot has changed since I started work on this in January, first and foremost, the name. We have set realistic goals and are making real progress and may need more hands soon.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:05 am »
 :D

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2011, 11:56:54 pm »
Some times the trolls need to be fed the truth. I belive this project is strong others do not and most of those have a alt $$ agenda. Go sfc4 it will rule.
Time for life!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
I've been waiting and will continue to wait... In the end I know it will be completed and well worth it... Until then I will practice my skills with OP 4.1... ;-)

Adam

Don't forget to play some EAW also as that will be the base of the new release.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Ravok

« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2011, 11:56:01 am »
I've been waiting and will continue to wait... In the end I know it will be completed and well worth it... Until then I will practice my skills with OP 4.1... ;-)

Adam

Don't forget to play some EAW also as that will be the base of the new release.

Yikes !! That shows how much I have been paying attention. Thanks for the heads up. :) :thumbsup:
 I havent played EAW in years. Have to dust it off, and practice.