Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 136586 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 02:58:25 am »
Great news!!! Here's to hoping that the best plans come to fruition.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Ravok

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 04:53:11 am »
I know this is a stupid question, but is this really for real???  I'm not calling anybody a liar, but this sounds too good to be true.

If it id true, I will be whipping out my check book, to do my part. ( No BS)

Offline Metalien_XC

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 05:25:37 am »
I think I just made a mess in my pants...  :woot:

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 05:50:53 am »
I know this is a stupid question, but is this really for real???  I'm not calling anybody a liar, but this sounds too good to be true.

If it id true, I will be whipping out my check book, to do my part. ( No BS)

Just hold on to that checkbook, but yes, this is REALLY for real.

Like I said, we'll be making the "press release" soon.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 06:06:32 am »
Well this is great news! I wish I could help with the nuts and bolts of production, but I have no "skillz" in computer programming. My strengths lie in organization and concept design. I would like to sign up for the testing team if possible and if you guys need a very game knowledgeable person to create/maintain production goals and manage all the departments, I'd be honored to do it.

Frey, can I start a thread to list all the changes/fixes and additions people want to see?

Again, tremendous news!  :)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 06:29:54 am »
If the shiplists are going to be structured more on the SFC3 system, as well as the hardpointing, then I'll be able to spec and hardpoint just about anything you need.  If the hardpointing and shiplist structure is going to be more SFC2/OP, then I don't think I'm gonna be much help since I still can't properly HP for SFC1/2/OP.

Will the SFC4 project have a ship refit system similar to SFC3, or not?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:33 am »
Starfleet Command 4 will continue to utilize the methodology that made the SFC series of games one of the best selling Star Trek games ever.

SFB provides the perfect background framework to handle the combat stuff, management, etc. IN regards to the GUI, we're going to offer the SFC3 style UI OR the EAW / OP UI.

Bottom line. It's the GUI. Please read the posts and don't start a SFB or nuthin crusade when we've just announced that we're going to do this.

Regards,

I'm not starting an SFB or nuthin crusade, I think it totally possible to make a great ST combat game that has nothing to do with SFB.   It's just that SFC3 (out of the box, some of the mods were actually pretty cool) wasn't it.  That's what I meant but embrace SFB or totally abandon SFB.  Taldren developed themselves into a corner by leaving in a lot of SFB element while taking away others that made the whole system "work."

There's a lot more to it than the GUI.   EW versus Angular velocity, how does the Cloak work, attrition units, seeking weapons, 4 shields versus 6, etc . . .  Starship Customization never sat well with me either, this is a Military Naval simulation, not "Pimp my Ride."  Starship CONVERSION however would be really cool!    Imagine buying an F-NCL and getting it converted to whatever variant you could afford after X amount of time.

The best bet, IMHO, is leave the game moddable enough so a server admin can make the call.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:02:01 am by FPF-DieHard »
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 08:11:32 am »
I know nothing about programing, but I'm an admin/personnel kind of guy in the Navy so if you need any help with that let me know.  Doubt you will but just in case.

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:30 am »
I'd love to help, but I have zero programming skills.

I can help test it though!
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 08:26:42 am »
I will be retiring from Nightsoft in a few months. I would be happy to assist in the design of the game, including ship designs and meshes. Just let me know if you would like my help.
Never let your ego think or act for you..........me.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:07 am »

Same here...whatever I may contribute... ;D
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 10:15:33 am »
Glad I stumbled in here today...  :o

Need a PMI certified Project Manager (PMP)?  ;)

I kid, I kid...I'll be eagerly surfing the forums going forward.

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 01:53:05 pm »

i will do what ever i can to help as well ... 

i have one question, will it have true 3D ship movement or will it still be in a 2D plane (please say 3D)

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline KBF-Kapact

• No matter how much Paramount and Viacom abuse and neglect and generally make a bloody mess of Trek, and despite the fact that they seem to have intentionally stuck a knife in it's belly, technically they still own it.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old enough to know better, but I just don't give a
    • What is Fantasy Trek?
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

and same here. No programming skills (yet!) but I am an experienced writer.....

Kapact
KBF-Kapact
IKS Ab'Qaff
"Surrender or be des-"

{sound of explosion}
http://fantasytrek.blogspot.com/
http://houseabukoff.blogspot.com
http://kapactsrant.blogspot.com/
http://startrekenterprisevirtualseasons.blogspot.com/

Klingon Black Fleet
"...laughing, undefeated..."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02:32 pm »
Starfleet Command 4 will continue to utilize the methodology that made the SFC series of games one of the best selling Star Trek games ever.

SFB provides the perfect background framework to handle the combat stuff, management, etc. IN regards to the GUI, we're going to offer the SFC3 style UI OR the EAW / OP UI.

Bottom line. It's the GUI. Please read the posts and don't start a SFB or nuthin crusade when we've just announced that we're going to do this.

Regards,
I wouldn't mind a bit of both of SFC3 and SFC2 and officers would be nice addition as well possibly refit in the era of when the ships come out.It would be nice as well to se it in windows format so you can minimise/maximise the screen or even close it.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 02:08:24 pm »

Regards,

I have to agree the fully moding a ship wasn't a strong suit for me.  But being able to get the refits and conversions without having to buy a whole new ahip and selling the old would be nice.

But then depending on how complicated you want your code you could set a server side switch to pick SFC2/OP style or SFC3 style (as how ships are handlled for modifing).  It would add alot of code and testing, but would include more players under it's belt.  And who knows, with a new way of running, maybe both sides of this would like the others for a server or two (specially if you don't have to load different programs)

Quote from: FPF-DieHard
I'm not starting an SFB or nuthin crusade, I think it totally possible to make a great ST combat game that has nothing to do with SFB.   It's just that SFC3 (out of the box, some of the mods were actually pretty cool) wasn't it.  That's what I meant but embrace SFB or totally abandon SFB.  Taldren developed themselves into a corner by leaving in a lot of SFB element while taking away others that made the whole system "work."

There's a lot more to it than the GUI.   EW versus Angular velocity, how does the Cloak work, attrition units, seeking weapons, 4 shields versus 6, etc . . .  Starship Customization never sat well with me either, this is a Military Naval simulation, not "Pimp my Ride."  Starship CONVERSION however would be really cool!    Imagine buying an F-NCL and getting it converted to whatever variant you could afford after X amount of time.

The best bet, IMHO, is leave the game moddable enough so a server admin can make the call.

Modified to fix quotes
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:23:01 pm by Pestalence_XC »
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 02:21:37 pm »

Regards,
I wouldn't mind a bit of both of SFC3 and SFC2 and officers would be nice addition as well possibly refit in the era of when the ships come out.It would be nice as well to se it in windows format so you can minimise/maximise the screen or even close it.

Now adding crew and officer experience (that gets lost when you transfer ships, would give a bonus to those who stick with one ship for a long time.  As you work up to legendary officers, and expert crew.  If you refit or convert you get to keep them, but you change ships, you get a new crew with that ship.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Sten

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 02:29:09 pm »
Great googly moogly. Time to plot shoving Hex out an air lock.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:43 pm »

Regards,

I like the way you think.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 03:20:47 pm »

Regards,

I have to agree the fully moding a ship wasn't a strong suit for me.  But being able to get the refits and conversions without having to buy a whole new ahip and selling the old would be nice.

But then depending on how complicated you want your code you could set a server side switch to pick SFC2/OP style or SFC3 style (as how ships are handlled for modifing).  It would add alot of code and testing, but would include more players under it's belt.  And who knows, with a new way of running, maybe both sides of this would like the others for a server or two (specially if you don't have to load different programs)

Ooohhhh, I like that alot.