Topic: Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)  (Read 36611 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Fallen's Workbench (W.I.P's - Pic Heavy)
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:14 pm »
If the day comes where necro threads are locked because someone asks if there's any progress, I'm gone.  Also, if the day comes where I'm either given a warning or a temp ban for hijacking my own threads, I'm gone.  One more thing, should ever you guys stop servicing the toilets, I'm gone.

Ok, that last one probably gave you guys good reason to get rid of me.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »
Guys, I'll just say this. I am not a modeler. I've taken a few shots at it, and done a few extremely simple kitbashes. I do not have the talent or patience for it, and am very appreciative of those of you that seem to be able to do this sort of detailed work in your sleep. That's why I stay here, that's why I still play the game, and that's why I come on to see what's cooking. Fury's models of late have really revitalized my game. I tend to prefer TMP era ships, which is why I haven't said anything about Fallen's work. Under-appreciated? Not by me. I'm in awe of all of the modelers on this board, whether I like their work or not. I will make comments here or there, or make requests (I still wish someone would take an honest shot at an Ingram class Space Control Ship), but I don't feel comfortable making comments about peoples work when my skills are non-existent.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2010, 02:05:53 pm »
Maybe instead of competing we could do some group projects like find one of the designs on the "ships i'd like to see most" Thread
Not a bad idea.

If I could I would make an Ingram, But the best person to ask would be Centurus as he has the most recent experience as shown with his XCA and such. And if someone would help him map it I would help texture....
I have a few schematics of the ingram class. If I am not entirely mistaken, it is basically a modification of the excelsior, or similarly build, no?

On a side note any offers of advice or something as to the "braces" on the connie hull?

Extrude in a socket for it, and then build a separate element that will fit in the socket, I would think.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »
Thanks, Fallen! If something spurs to mind when I see what people are constructing, I'll make sure to share it.  :knuppel2:

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 02:29:32 pm »
If I could I would make an Ingram, But the best person to ask would be Centurus as he has the most recent experience as shown with his XCA and such. And if someone would help him map it I would help texture....
I have a few schematics of the ingram class. If I am not entirely mistaken, it is basically a modification of the excelsior, or similarly build, no?
[/quote]

You're correct, Fury. The Ingram is basically an Excelsior-build vessel with greater, and much more obvious looking hanger facilities, mega-phaser cannon (I know, I know, many people don't subscribe to mega-phaser lore, I happen to think it's cool), and more TMP-ish design qualities than the Excelsior.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 02:30:23 pm »
Someone on deviantart posted a few ingram variants, I might take a look at them :-)
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 02:42:20 pm »
Someone over on Scifi-Meshes has been making a really detailed Ingram Class model.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »
Someone over on Scifi-Meshes has been making a really detailed Ingram Class model.

Same guy :-)
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »
Very good.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 02:50:59 pm »
Someone on deviantart posted a few ingram variants, I might take a look at them :-)
Thanks!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 03:19:18 pm »
You said who to the what now?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »
I retype my previous post, "You said who to the what now?"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 05:16:16 pm »
check.

Robinomicon

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:28 pm »
But yeah, on a side note Chrystoff mentioned feeling slightly intimidated about making posts on some peoples work. due to the level of skills..... Maybe we can get a brainstorm thread or something to help encourage the opposite.

That sounds like a good idea. I usually feel the same way about commenting . . . I like to comment on designs that hit me a certain way and point out why, but if I can't think of anything more than "nice job," I usually just lurk. I can't pretend to know what it's like to spend as long a time as you have on something (modeling, in this case) and not get any responses, but I understand how it can be annoying -- my favorite thing to discuss is SFC itself, but I'm sure you know how barren the General and Dynaverse II boards are.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 08:44:38 pm »
Would maybe a rating system work?... Or the Old Award system be brought back? Maybe you guys could have a regular vote for different things about our work... Like add a bit of competition or co-operation between those of us who make things?.... Example;
. Monthly poll for the most dedicated to detail / innovative design / Progress made as a modder.
. Best crafted joint construction project.
. Which team up would you like to see and what model.....
. A Special Parts/retexture request thread for kitbashing or personalization.
Anything else you guys can come up with as well would sure help us out :)

I can give some thought to this. I'm just worried about the rift between experienced modelers/designers and those with lesser experience. I don't want WZ or Tus to get all the awards, you know?
Robinomicon

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:33 pm »
The limited award system sounds neat, and a stickied thread could easily do it. I think it would also be easier to jump in on too.

Hmmm . . . personally, I am most interested in the modeling stuff at its earliest stages, such as sketches, model outlines, and even written thoughts. I think the early stages are something that anyone on these forums (is anyone not interested in starships here?  ;)) can provide input, instead of commenting on progress further down the road and during the actual model construction, where not all of us have the knowledge or experience in modeling to provide anything useful. So I'll be sure to look out for beginnings of ideas that everyone has. I'm not sure how many rough sketches most modelers do before they try to make the finished product, but I'm sure I'm not alone in seeing them and trying to help out there.

And more easy to understand tutorials with software that is readily accessible. IE GMAX and The GIMP or something... Ways that we can diminish the rifts of experience and abilities??

That's a good idea, I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2010, 07:21:10 pm »
What else do you think would help. I like the idea of a thread to help bridge the rifts.... How would we go about something like this Guys?

Should we (meaning one of you guys respected in the modeling community) just make a thread and see where it goes? After it gets established, hopefully it would be stickied, and maybe it could be easy to read by having the first post be categorized with links and constantly edited. Just thinking outloud as far as the categories could go:

• Rating/award system
        - One for detail/innovation/progress
        - One for the best crafted joint construction project (does this mean the best team-made model?)
        - One for best newcomer modeler?
  • Model requests/team requests (there's already a model-you'd-like-to-see thread, so maybe this would only be for team requests)
  • Part/texture requests
  • What is generally needed? For example: TNG Romulans in demand, etc.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »
Let me talk it over with some of the moderators - see what they think about it. Since something like that has the potential to get a motivational / friendly rivalry going, it also has the potential to be controversial.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2010, 08:37:11 pm »
Let me talk it over with some of the moderators - see what they think about it. Since something like that has the potential to get a motivational / friendly rivalry going, it also has the potential to be controversial.
Sucks that it winds up that way. But you're absolutely right.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2010, 09:03:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks FoaS.