Topic: Starfleet Command : Commmunity Edition HAS GONE GOLD!!!!  (Read 66766 times)

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Starfleet Command : Commmunity Edition HAS GONE GOLD!!!!
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »
The game is totally done and the Finalized installer is uploaded to his servers.

No one has heard from Frey. I don't want to post it on my own for getting in some sort of trouble. So it just waiting on him.

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2013, 04:52:50 pm »
Yeah, I'm so looking forward to getting back into the game and playing and flying a ship around. It's going to be so much fun!

I wonder how many people will actually end up playing this. Will it be just a few dozen people?
----------
- Messiah

"Love keeps her in the air when she outta fall down;
"tells ya she's hurtin' before she keels; makes her a home."
- Malcom Reynolds; Serenity

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2013, 06:35:04 pm »
I don't know how long you guys been waiting but I'm 27, it's been years now, it's true, with age comes patience, bc I'm like whatever, it'll arrive when it'll arrive. :)

Adam

Way to make some of us feel old, dude!
 :hoppin:

I kid, I kid.   ;) I picked up the pocket edition of SFB around the time it came out, before the Designer/Boxed Edition even existed.  I still remember marvelling when the 1st expansion came out, and gave us a bunch of new toys!

So, yeah, I've been checking in regularly to see what's up with CE.  Of course, I keep hoping for something more grand, as I've been wanting to play full blown Tholians in SFC for a while now, and Andos would be fun too!  But that'd take more resources than are currently at the plate.  CE is a small step in that direction, or at least a lot of us hope it is.

SFC is just as addictive as SFB ever was, without all of the record keeping and long monotonous hours trying to finish battles/campaigns up!  I haven't played SFB since SFC came out... and I was a definite SFB junkie, when I could find other players that is!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2013, 07:51:19 pm »
The game is totally done...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but it is in a playable state no worse than when it was live before.

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2013, 08:02:12 pm »
The game is totally done...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but it is in a playable state no worse than when it was live before.

Haha, I almost DON'T want to hear that it's playable... the selfish part of me that wants to play this sucker constantly asks "Then why can't we play it?", but then the smart side of me remembers that these are volunteers keeping this boat flying, and it's amazing we got this much!
----------
- Messiah

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
Well I will add that if this game gets enough boost (attention) I have a very nice todo list to work on.

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2013, 10:10:08 pm »
I wonder if there's any sort of plan to advertise when it's finally downloadable? IE send out an email to all the gaming/mod sites and say "hey, this game exists! Check it out!"
----------
- Messiah

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
That would be pretty cool. Although, if I remember right, FireSoul was a pretty badass modder so I'd be happy with his designs. Is he still involved in the community or is he gone too?
----------
- Messiah

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »
That would be pretty cool. Although, if I remember right, FireSoul was a pretty badass modder so I'd be happy with his designs. Is he still involved in the community or is he gone too?

I'm waiting too. I want to wait till there's an actual release to complete any work modding it.

.. btw.. any legal experts in the house?
Are there any legal blockers for me if I want to take OP's sprites.q3 file, modify the loadup image to match SFC:CE's and add that to a "CE+"? It would solve a lot of OP+ porting issues, like keeping all the mountpoints and such. Initial tests indicate that the game just.. works.. with it. (not fully tested)

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2013, 04:15:18 pm »
If you have RC 4 you have the final release. The only difference in RC 4 and release is the 'RC' in the installer. I'm not making any changes for the foreseeable future.

I believe the reason Frey is waiting is because he does not like the current load screen and wants it changed out. But no one has the ability to change it but Marstone whose MIA.

Right now unless you have some access on your own, the sprites.q3 is not editable anyways. I would say for now not to worry about the load screen. It's lost subject right now.

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »
If you have RC 4 you have the final release. The only difference in RC 4 and release is the 'RC' in the installer. I'm not making any changes for the foreseeable future.

I believe the reason Frey is waiting is because he does not like the current load screen and wants it changed out. But no one has the ability to change it but Marstone whose MIA.

Right now unless you have some access on your own, the sprites.q3 is not editable anyways. I would say for now not to worry about the load screen. It's lost subject right now.

That's the only reason? Really? Is this something that could be patched later?

Aside: Doesn't SFC:CE Already have mods for the ships? IE TNG era ships (as well as TOS & TMP ships)? I was under the impression it had that huge range of ships. Am I wrong? Does it only have TOS ships?

While on that subject, what races are playable? Did anyone add TNG era races? Namely the Dominion?
----------
- Messiah

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »
There are OP arcs. It can almost completely support the OP+ shiplist.

It is up to modders to take advantage of these features.

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2013, 08:43:27 pm »
Whoops! For whatever reason I thought SFC:CE was going to have TNG era ships! I guess I got some stuff I read mixed up!

Oh well, that's what all those excellent mods are for. Looking forward to it!

I guess it will be kinda weird to see the original schematic for the ship, yet use a modded one, haha.
----------
- Messiah

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2013, 09:38:00 pm »
Perhaps, if the power that be don't punish me, I can revert the entire thing to a public beta...

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:59 pm »
YES! Please let us have access!!

I do love the look of the TNG ships, but would still be incredibly happy with TMP era ships already available in the game. I know mods will eventually surface so I'll simply dl them when they are available and use them in the game.

Although, it would be hella cool to fight against the Dominion... :p
----------
- Messiah

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »
OK time to put some answers here.

Firstly, apologies to everyone for the lack of words, it simply comes down to there, both me & Frey work a lot of hours at our jobs, and when we get home for the end of the day we don't usually have the mindset for discussing these type of complex admin issues daily, and mainly  just during limited hours we both have off (which is further consumed by RL obligations/stuff). Hence, what turns out to be a week of real time is no more than a day of time I have and Frey has to get stuff done.

We've still be working a lot behind the senses for preparations. Most recently we've been doing infrastructure upgrades and upgrading to more modern servers and OSes. For the most part we have completed these, though not completely done. While you don't notices these upgrades and fixes, they will matter quite a bit towards handling any sort of stress across the database, game server, or web servers combined and we don't want to cut any corners, so yea it has been slow, but steady progress on this end. While not complete, it's done enough we can proceed further down the line.

Pretty much though now I believe we are down to figuring out exactly which option we want to use to deploy CE in the most efficient manner, it's a bit more involved than that sounds, but the hardest part is over with so I say we are just about there.

I know your eager, so am I, but this extra stuff were doing will help a lot so you don't have to worry about server reliability (which is a reward in itself!), that's for sure :)

Finally apologies for any lack of word, we just don't have a dedicated PR person and time is short! Prepare to fire phasers.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
Great to finally get a status update! Here's hoping the game will come along shortly...
----------
- Messiah

Offline Doskious

• Ensign
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:27 pm »
Speaking as someone who eagerly awaits the release of SFC:CE but also works in the Operations office of a major data center, Thanks Very Much for pursuing backend upkeep and stability-minded upgrades.  A stable release later is always preferable to an immediate unstable release.

I know I'm new here, but I played SFC and SFC:EAW at release and mourned the day I lost my install disks...  When I discovered this project, I knew that I'd have to get it.  Thanks for all the hard work.  (So excited!)

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2013, 03:58:41 am »
Don't listen to him and his appreciation! We want the game now dammit! :p

All the hard work is definitely appreciated. Lets hope we see it soon (long weekend perhaps?) :D
----------
- Messiah

Offline Messiah

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »
Happy Easter long weekend to all those who are so inclined! Here's hoping we'll see the game soon!
----------
- Messiah