Topic: SFC 4 Project  (Read 136599 times)

Offline ThunderBallz

• Ensign
Re: SFC 4 Project
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 09:48:52 am »
Cant wait,,Peace

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:52 am »
I am interested in helping, but would like more information.  Currently I was planning my own game based upons sfc3, so seems like this may be more productive.

I have been a programmer for over 30 years.  I have developed programs in c++, though my current environment is Java.  I have recently started to refresh my skills in C++.  Me development environment of choice has been Borland for many years.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 11:24:50 am »
Shoot Braxton an Email with your information and questions in regards to the First post in this thread .. I am sure he or one of our staff will be able to answer your questions.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 01:35:57 pm »
If SFC4 is going to use the already established MOD format for the ship models, which is a safe bet since we're all familiar with the format, and it allows ships already in existence to just be put into the game, then specular and bump mapping won't really work.

If the graphics engine is updated enough, bump mapping, or a work around to achieve similar effects, could work.  However, the MOD format for models doesn't support specular mapping.  A new model format would have to be adopted or created to take advantage of specular maps.

That was a offshoot of a question I had come up to me.  What format is the ship data going to be in.  I figure MOD is a given, but could another format be added to make modding cheaper for us who can't afford the price of the tools.

With C++ classes it should be not much of a problem to add formats and keep 90% or more of the code the same.  Just add into a class that would handle the ships so a call to display a ship doesn't care what format it is in, the class would take care of it.  Seting it up that way (not sure how the original is set up but if you are updating the graphics it would make since to do this) you can add new graphic formats when needed to keep current with what is being made by the modders out there.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tethys

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 02:03:37 pm »
does anyone know what the era will be? i mean i dont think this Q. has been asked (pardon the pun :P ) but will it be Ent era? or all eras and possibly an extended future timeline as seen in Ent? awaiting eagerly with anticipation.

Tethys

Offline Tethys

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:32 pm »
btw ent isnt exactly the 'best' era to focus on. i fear if you base it solely around the ent era you might not get the feedback you are hoping. however if including all eras you may find a happier crowd on ur hands :)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2008, 02:15:57 pm »
btw ent isnt exactly the 'best' era to focus on. i fear if you base it solely around the ent era you might not get the feedback you are hoping. however if including all eras you may find a happier crowd on ur hands :)

I don't think that'll be a problem.  More than likely if SFC4 is gonna focus on any one particular era, it'll probably be focused more on TMP.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline TheDestroyer

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2008, 03:29:38 pm »
I'm not much of a game programmer...
I'm not much of a graphics artist...
I'm not much of a grammar checker...

I'm one heck of a game breaker

I can get an official website going if you want it. just need a domain ($7/year from 1&1) and I will provide hosting until the site expands to the point where it goes beyond my web hosting package's capabilities.

I can set up and manipulate phpBB 2 and 3 forums, as well as Drupal with precision because I have a tone of experience in those areas

I can provide public relations if necessary.

I can spread the word through many star wars communities (huge communities).

I am TheDestroyer, hear me roar. If you want my help just send an e-mail to me. thedestroyer@swdroids.com

I've never talked like that ^^ before :P.

-TheDestroyer, leader of clan N-MOO and ameteur website programmer.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2008, 04:12:14 pm »

I can get an official website going if you want it. just need a domain ($7/year from 1&1) and I will provide hosting until the site expands to the point where it goes beyond my web hosting package's capabilities.

I can set up and manipulate phpBB 2 and 3 forums, as well as Drupal with precision because I have a tone of experience in those areas

I am TheDestroyer, hear me roar. If you want my help just send an e-mail to me. thedestroyer@swdroids.com

Dynaverse.Net is the Official site as well as the Dynaverse Gamers Association site which is a branch of Dynaverse.net.. the sites are covered.. as well as developers forums on these boards here.

Spreading the word would be fantastic.. just copy the first and second post on this thread and direct people to this forum board.

As for game breakers.. there is a section set up on these boards for Public Beta testing and everyone will be welcome to test their heart out as different builds are released to the Dynaverse.net Forum
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Ravok

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »

Dynaverse.Net is the Official site as well as the Dynaverse Gamers Association site which is a branch of Dynaverse.net.. the sites are covered.. as well as developers forums on these boards here.

Spreading the word would be fantastic.. just copy the first and second post on this thread and direct people to this forum board.

As for game breakers.. there is a section set up on these boards for Public Beta testing and everyone will be welcome to test their heart out as different builds are released to the Dynaverse.net Forum

Send the word out and I would love to Beta test.

Q`ap Lah!!!

Offline Strayy

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Strayy's Tavern
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2008, 06:28:54 pm »
Hail D.net !!! :notworthy:  'bout time !!!!!
another tidbit... as the ideas/suggestions roll in...  make sure SFC4 is vista compatible, or any other goofiness microsoft can throw out, and get rid of the gamespy login for the dynaverse...  these 2 items alone would greatly improve the game.  8)

Admiral Strayy
    Chief cook & bottle washer of Strayy's Tavern
     http://tavern.paulsbeercrew.com

Ravok

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2008, 06:31:05 pm »
Hail D.net !!! :notworthy:  'bout time !!!!!
another tidbit... as the ideas/suggestions roll in...  make sure SFC4 is vista compatible, or any other goofiness microsoft can throw out, and get rid of the gamespy login for the dynaverse...  these 2 items alone would greatly improve the game.  8)

Maybe having it on game spy as well, would be a good marketing tool??

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2008, 12:16:50 am »
I wonder how much of the officer system is still in SFC:EAW from SFC1?  It might not be that hard to bring back online in the game.

Judging purely from what we've done with the scripting API and the flatfile ship blobs, I'd say the majority of it is still salvagable.  Before the recent SFC4 developments I was in the process of updating the db editor to allow officer assignment.

dave

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
the reply function is messing up
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2008, 12:18:16 am »
You say that it will be highly moddable.  Does that include editing and adding weapons?  The debate about SFB could be largely solved by making almost everything editable.  That way non-purists could have seeking photon torpedoes, or different powered disruptors, or even totally new weapons for Gorns and Tholians, while purists can have their drones and energy photon torpedoes.  If the map is editable, then cannon purists can have Ferengis and Cardassians along with Lyrans and Hydrans.

One of my fantasies, if I won the lottery, was to commission an SFC based game that would be completely customizable, but would be distributed with some original races and ships, so as to skirt most legal issues.  Players would have the freedom to make the game into almost anything they want, a computerized SFB, a cannon simulator, etc.  They would even be able to change the effectiveness of the cloak, so SFB purists could have their half hearted cloak, while cannon purists could have perfect invisibility.  There could even be different types of cloaks, to simulate the evolution from TOS to TNG invisibility.  Maybe even the Mauler could be edited to take energy from the warp or impulse generator, with a cooling off time, to make a realistic Wave Motion Gun.

Are you sure this isn't a joke?  Why is this not in the SFC Open Source forum, since that would seem the proper place for it?  Why does the little announcement in that forum end with "snicker"?

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: the reply function is messing up
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2008, 12:38:31 am »
You say that it will be highly moddable.  Does that include editing and adding weapons?  The debate about SFB could be largely solved by making almost everything editable.  That way non-purists could have seeking photon torpedoes, or different powered disruptors, or even totally new weapons for Gorns and Tholians, while purists can have their drones and energy photon torpedoes.  If the map is editable, then cannon purists can have Ferengis and Cardassians along with Lyrans and Hydrans.

One of my fantasies, if I won the lottery, was to commission an SFC based game that would be completely customizable, but would be distributed with some original races and ships, so as to skirt most legal issues.  Players would have the freedom to make the game into almost anything they want, a computerized SFB, a cannon simulator, etc.  They would even be able to change the effectiveness of the cloak, so SFB purists could have their half hearted cloak, while cannon purists could have perfect invisibility.  There could even be different types of cloaks, to simulate the evolution from TOS to TNG invisibility.  Maybe even the Mauler could be edited to take energy from the warp or impulse generator, with a cooling off time, to make a realistic Wave Motion Gun.

Are you sure this isn't a joke?  Why is this not in the SFC Open Source forum, since that would seem the proper place for it?  Why does the little announcement in that forum end with "snicker"?

Frey doesnt post jokes about new projects... ;)

That forum is actually called "OP open source"...the forum was set up by myself in regards to information that the Op scource was to be released...which has proved to not have been the case...

The only reason it still exists is because there are still several ongoing projects having to do with Orion pirates...

You clearly didnt notice that there is now a NEW forum:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/board,3303.0.html

SFC4 Galaxies at War is to be built upon SFC2 Empires at War code...more of a stand anlone expansion of SFC2 than a new game...the code for EAW is now in the care of DV.net...

That's what we got...so that's what we'll build upon...

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2008, 02:36:42 am »
I will be retiring from Nightsoft in a few months. I would be happy to assist in the design of the game, including ship designs and meshes. Just let me know if you would like my help.

Raven, Sorry to hear about Nightsoft... But i don't suppose i could grab you? Your skills and experience would be highly appreciated.

Sure...im looking for busy work. Dont be sorry, im looking forward to retiring, frankly im a bit weary of the limitations on what I can do and cant do. Free from Nightsoft means I am once again my own man.

But sure, send me a message letting me know what you need and I would love to contribute.
Never let your ego think or act for you..........me.

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: the reply function is messing up
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2008, 02:55:49 am »

Frey doesnt post jokes about new projects... ;)

That forum is actually called "OP open source"...the forum was set up by myself in regards to information that the Op scource was to be released...which has proved to not have been the case...

The only reason it still exists is because there are still several ongoing projects having to do with Orion pirates...

You clearly didnt notice that there is now a NEW forum:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/board,3303.0.html

SFC4 Galaxies at War is to be built upon SFC2 Empires at War code...more of a stand anlone expansion of SFC2 than a new game...the code for EAW is now in the care of DV.net...

That's what we got...so that's what we'll build upon...

What about my main questions concerning customaizing?  I really want to be able to make custom weapons.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2008, 03:01:07 am »
Feature requests should be posted in the link provided by Crim : http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/board,3303.0.html

The game is still in the planning stage as we gather programmers and you will also have to remember this is the Empires at War game engine that is being improved upon.. not a re-write of the entire game.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline CyberLemur

• Ensign
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2008, 03:30:34 am »
I'd be happy to do some music composing for the game, if you want. I could give sound effects a go too, though I don't have much experience with them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xsky8ny5zvo
^^A demo of some of my music^^

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2008, 03:40:28 am »
I''ll be making a post later on this weekend about some ideas we're currently planning to implement in regards to SFC4.

Consider it a kinda "to whet your whistle" thing.

We can then do a Q/ A.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.