Topic: Starfleet Command Orion Pirates 2500-2563 HD (Unofficial Patch)  (Read 125728 times)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Starfleet Command Orion Pirates 2500-2563 HD (Unofficial Patch)
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:19 am »
SFC OP HD Patch (c) D4v1ks and TarMinyatur 2016, with contributions of Capt. Adam and TAnimaL
There is a lot of history behind it. Just click here to see how it started.

Moved to > this topic <
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:58:12 pm by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: SFCOP HD patch
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »
Neato! Is this a control panel thing or do we choose in the .ini file after install?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:27:16 pm »
Neato! Is this a control panel thing or do we choose in the .ini file after install?

Just change the sfc.ini manually or with ezini, like you have done in the past.
It basically works by replacing the 3rd, 5th and 6th "resolution slots" in the .exe and sprites.q3 with a custom resolution (16:9 or 16:10).
There is nothing special about it.

lowres=3  (1366x768 or 1440x900)
lowres=5  (1600x900 or 1680x1050)
lowres=6  (1920x1080 or 1920x1200)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:47:21 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:43:08 pm »
Well that's super simple. Thanks!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:29 pm »
 :huh:

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 03:58:04 pm »
I haven't installed it yet. Are you saying it is a new .exe or that it modifies the .exe? Or maybe something else? I'll back up the entire Taldren folder with your mods in them to be safe. Thanks.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 03:59:55 pm »
It directly replaces the EXE, sprites.q3, aaStrings,txt and tooltips.txt
And add the tools (sfc_editor, q3_editor and modviewerHD) to the exe's folder.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:57 pm »
And all those things are needed to make the game HD or are there other tweaks in there too?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
Both Adam and I very grateful for all your efforts, it's just that some of us have our games so customized at this point we really need to know what's going to happen if we start swapping things around that we can't personally affect.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:28:29 pm »
It overwrites the files. It is not exactly a "patch". It is a direct replacement. Like if you unzip something to a folder.
So, if you have customized your "starfleetOP.exe" or "sprites.q3", it is better to make a backup.
Basically, for the HD to work, you just need those 2 files. But i recommend also overwriting the "aaStrings.txt" and "tooltips.txt" files.
You don't need to install the other things. They were used to make the HD project, but are not required to make it run.

You can right-click on the auto-installer, open it, and see what it contains. It was made with winrar.

I did it this way, cause the average person, would not have patience to make all the changes to enable it. Or even know how to do it.
I spent like 2 hours just tracking the images, and editing them, for them to look nice.
I imagine, some people would not even bother to open the sfc_Editor or q3_editor to see what it does... imagine now spending 2 hours to change their personal copies manually.

If you customized your exe, it is easier to replace it, and open the SFC_Editor and change what you need.
You can also open the q3_editor, and import all the images you have into the sprites.q3 with just a keybind.

I think that this is the easiest way to the end user to enable it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:40:50 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:35:11 pm »
But i recommend also overwriting the "aaStrings.txt" and "tooltips.txt" files.

OK, but why? What did you mod in there? I feel like an idiot for asking Tar to do that .exe mod now. I got the impression the HD thing wasn't related to the .exe, just spritesq3.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 04:45:49 pm »
The HD required like... changing 20 offsets in the EXE. And the sprites.q3 needed some work.
Was Tar that made the "aaStrings.txt" and "Tooltips.txt" files and produced the v2561 exe to be customizable with SFC Editor.
He also fixed some things on the "sprites.q3".
Then i changed it in a way to enable HD to work.
And if he says it is better to overwrite them, i trust on him. I also don't know everything.
We don't need to get burnout trying to understand everything.  We have to trust each others.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:01:36 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 04:54:05 pm »
Oh, ok I know what's in them now. I thought you had done some additional work in there.

Were you able to fix the Mirak H&R pause button in OP too?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:10 pm »
We don't need to get burnout trying to understand everything.  We have to trust each others.

It's not a matter of trust. We trust your intentions and your work, but if you want us to look for bugs and anomalies we need to know what to look for. You have about 0% play testing on this stuff.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 05:38:51 pm »
Dammit, tested the mirak interface now, and it doesnt work at any resolution in the packs!  :o
Have no ideia what went wrong. Have to see what happened.  :buck2:

The others seem to work fine!

Anyway, i really appreciate your wish to help Carbonite. It really needs some play testing.
It seems that Orion Pirates is a bit different of SFC CE as it lacks some resolutions layouts. So some of them must be shared.
I've to debug it a bit more to notice if there are some little things i missed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:09:56 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 06:09:47 pm »
I'm sure soon you'll have it purring like a kitten.
I am definitely hoping that all the fixes Tar did for CE can be put in the OP patch.  :)

I second this request for SFCOP.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 06:13:40 pm »
One of the things I wanted to ask was if you just copied from EAW to OP. OP has many of the improvements Tar did for CE already in there. They have significant differences. OP has many weapons and graphics that EAW lacks.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 06:20:55 pm »
One of the things I wanted to ask was if you just copied from EAW to OP. OP has many of the improvements Tar did for CE already in there. They have significant differences. OP has many weapons and graphics that EAW lacks.

The only bug i fixed in the sprites.q3 was the mirak button.
I didn't copied anything from EAW to OP.
Tar gave me his sprites.q3 file he was working on. And then i edited the assets that are needed to setup a new resolution.
As they share a lot of similarities, was very easy to adjust the code i made for CE to work with it. So it was pretty straightforward. It is an automatized process.
I need to check first with him if the sprites.q3 he gave me is bugged or not.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:37:12 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 06:33:14 pm »
Right. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:37 pm »
My SFC OP installation got corrupted while moving things around... :buck2:
The patches are OK.
After a clean install, patch 2552, and then applying the HD patch, all started to work again.  ::)

Was thinking it was anything else, but was just this... ;D
Now i can sleep in peace  ;)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:50 pm »
Somebody post their Windows 10 SFC OP ini file please.

I got this to work only once using HD 16:10

[3D]
wireframe=1
windowed=1
zbuffer=1
lowres=6
driver=1
backdrop=1
shipstacking=1
ambientlighting=0.20
luminancetextures=1
luminancedamagetextures=1
spacedust=1

The above settings produce this:

No idea why having Wireframe=1 is the only way to have the screen improvements show up but mess with the model textures.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:30:39 pm by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:07 pm »
Was Tar that made the "aaStrings.txt" and "quicktips.txt" files and produced the v2561 exe to be customizable with SFC Editor.
He also fixed some things on the "sprites.q3".
Then i changed it in a way to enable HD to work.
And if he says it is better to overwrite them, i trust on him. I also don't know everything.

The aaStrings.txt was edited to match button text with button function. It made no sense that "Offline" would set plasma torpedoes to "Defensive" mode in certain UIs! The quicktips.txt was edited so that the cursor doesn't obstruct the text. It was also corrected for some errors. But, yeah, I turn off tips. But new players would want them to be accurate, so I didn't ignore this feature.

If you use a modified aaStrings.txt, I can edit it to work with this patch.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 03:35:08 am »
I got this to work only once using HD 16:10

No idea why having Wireframe=1 is the only way to have the screen improvements show up but mess with the model textures.

Dunno if it is going to help but here it is...  http://pastebin.com/j5DZxjUW

Looking at the screenshot you posted, it really looks strange.
It looks more of a graphic card issue...
Even changing windowed= or wireframe= in my game, doesn't affect it. It looks fine.

You can try to create a backup, and do a "clean install" + "2552" + "hd patch" to check if it is interacting with something else.
Like the wierd problem i had yesterday, that only the mirak interface was not working. Had to reinstall.

We also need to be carefull choosing the right HD pack. If your current monitor resolution is not listed there, it will not work.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:19:59 am by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 08:25:54 am »
On my XP rig:

Quicktips - Working. I assume the slight move to the right with the blank space on the left is intentional? I didn't check every one though.

UI buttons doing what they say in every interface - I don't know what was changed so it is hard to test.

Lowres settings with monitor set to 1920x1080, 16:9 patch -

0=works, but everything is stretched out like it was if you were on an HD monitor using the game w/o the screen mod.

1=works, but severely distorted to the point of not being able to play the game.

2=game wont even load, just flashes briefly and goes to desktop.

3=game wont even load, just flashes briefly and goes to desktop.

4=unsupported monitor mode, kills the monitor.

5=works, but everything is stretched out like it was if you were on an HD monitor using the game w/o the screen mod; also everything is shifted slightly to the left enough to bury all of the ship UI readouts off screen.

6=works friggin' awesome!!!!!!!   :smitten:

I know not every setting was tweaked, but thought I'd give a full report.

And yes, the phots and fighter hellbores are back to "normal"  :(

EDIT: Almost forgot - Mirak H&R Pause Button - Works.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:28:22 am by Corbomite »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 09:16:20 am »
Then we should probably look into the actual possibility of adding new/redundant readouts in that dead space like we wish to do.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 09:30:12 am »
From the CE Patch notes:

-New Hotkeys: Fire Pseudo Plasma, Toggle Marine Raids, Convert Shuttles, Select All Weapons.

Does this apply to OP and if so how do we access/program them?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:31 am »
Just a quick eyeball measurement seems to allow for either two more of the upper/larger MFDs or one more upper MFD and two more lower/smaller MFDs in the dead space at the bottom left of the screen (at 1920x1080). If we could impose those on that space and have them all work independently of each other mixed with the new backdrops Adam is working on I think my eyes would fall out of my head.  :o

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 12:10:48 pm »
Quote from: Corbomite
Quicktips - Working. I assume the slight move to the right with the blank space on the left is intentional? I didn't check every one though.

UI buttons doing what they say in every interface - I don't know what was changed so it is hard to test.

And yes, the phots and fighter hellbores are back to "normal".

On my machine (Win 7), the cursor frequently obstructs the quicktip. The blank space preceding the text is intentional. If your cursor is covered by the quicktip, then this modification is, of course, pointless.

Check the Lyran Fusion Beam panel. You'll notice the unusual, but accurate, button labels. I think I could repair them in a more elegant manner today, but it's a good project for someone else to get his/her feet wet in hex editing.

The Proximities can be configured with the SFC_Editor. I'm not sure about the Fighter Hellbores...I think you change the 3 to a 2 in maximum range bracket. 0 = 0k-1.9k, 1 = 2.0k-2.9k, 2 = 3.0k-4.9k,  3 = 5.0k-8.9k.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 12:15:32 pm »
I tried the hex editor and sprites editor in XP. It says I need some NET Framework thing. They don't open.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 12:30:05 pm »
From the CE Patch notes:

-New Hotkeys: Fire Pseudo Plasma, Toggle Marine Raids, Convert Shuttles, Select All Weapons.

Does this apply to OP and if so how do we access/program them?

These hotkeys are coded, but they're not enabled in OP. Taldren limited the amount of hotkeys to match the options menu. Some, like "Fire Pseudoes" and "Revive Ship" were not included. To enable these two hotkeys, something like "Yellow Alert" and "HET Left" would need to be swapped out.

Several days of study with a disassembler will reveal them. I never began the IDA/hex-editing process to put them into OP.

So for now, new hotkeys are a Community Edition feature.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »
I tried the hex editor and sprites editor in XP. It says I need some NET Framework thing. They don't open.
It may be possible to edit StarfleetOP.exe on a thumbdrive attached to a Windows 7, 8, 10 computer that has .NET framework installed. Sure this is annoying. The SFC_Editor requires StarfleetOP.exe, offsets.txt, and SFC_Editor_4_OP.bat. These assets don't have to be part of a working game.

Or one of us can easily send you the modified OP exe that you want. It takes 15 seconds to tweak the Proximites and HellF's.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »
It may be possible to edit StarfleetOP.exe on a thumbdrive attached to a Windows 7, 8, 10 computer that has .NET framework installed. Sure this is annoying. The SFC_Editor requires StarfleetOP.exe, offsets.txt, and SFC_Editor_4_OP.bat. These assets don't have to be part of a working game.

Or one of us can easily send you the modified OP exe that you want. It takes 15 seconds to tweak the Proximites and HellF's.

Yeah, that's what I figured. When I get more time I'll have to learn how to read that gobbledygook and try to help you guys out.

If you are willing to tweak those again for me that'd be cool, but this time I think I'll wait until we are sure we are done with general updates to OP that we all want.

What do you think the chances are that we can paste new MFDs into that unused screen area?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 01:06:08 pm »

The tools were build using that framework. It is available for XP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:01 pm »
On my machine (Win 7), the cursor frequently obstructs the quicktip. The blank space preceding the text is intentional. If your cursor is covered by the quicktip, then this modification is, of course, pointless.

No, it works as you intended. I'd be nice if the space could be filled with some sort of icon that the cursor could rest upon, but if you're limited to keyboard icons that might not work.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »

The tools were build using that framework. It is available for XP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Cool, let's give that a spin.

Ooops! Requires an internet connection during install. My XP machine can't be hooked up, at least not easily. I might try the remote edit on my 8.1 laptop.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:08 pm »
OK, I copied an entire Taldren folder onto a thumb drive and installed the patch directly into the SFCOP file as per instructions in 8.1. The Q3 editor opens up just fine. I didn't do anything because I have no idea how to use it yet, but at least it appears to be working fine.

The hex editor still refuses to open, saying it can't find the file and the version specifically references SFC:CE. The d.net editor screen does appear with several boxes of choices underneath the error message though.

Any thoughts?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »
The hex editor still refuses to open

You have to execute the "StarFleetOP_HexEdit.bat" file. It instructs the SFC_Editor to open the rigth exe and offsets.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 03:28:45 pm »
The hex editor still refuses to open

You have to execute the "StarFleetOP_HexEdit.bat" file. It instructs the SFC_Editor to open the rigth exe and offsets.

That did it.  :rwoot:

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 08:15:43 am »
My windows 10 SFCOP us able to use 16:9 low res=5

It's like a whole new game! When Captain Adam's space backgrounds are done this will be even better.

Nice work!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:45:27 am by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 10:04:23 am »
d4v1ks - keep up the great work!!! I can't wait to see what you do next!

A note before I forget: When I was experimenting with 16:10 I noted that I kept getting an error message that cited NWMissionConfig as not having been installed properly. I have not had that problem at all with 16:9.

Corbomite, I installed your SFCOP.exe and then ran the 16:9 patch. Runs great thanks for sharing.

FOAS' Mirak DD, retextured Mirak fighters, custom asteroids by I, Mudd (wow think SW: Empire Strikes Back rotating asteroids!), Sunspider (replaces a STOCK Astrominer) and a FASA Chandley.

HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 10:18:54 am »
A note before I forget: When I was experimenting with 16:10 I noted that I kept getting an error message that cited NWMissionConfig as not having been installed properly. I have not had that problem at all with 16:9.

Corbomite, I installed your SFCOP.exe and then ran the 16:9 patch. Runs great thanks for sharing.

NWMissionConfig was an experiment by Nuclear Wessels to allow people to configure certain mission parameters w/o needing the mission API. It never worked right. The only reason I leave it in my missions folder is just in case one of his old missions needs it. AFAIK the file is set to stock out of the gate, so if you haven't touched it that message probably means nothing, unless it is stopping you from playing somehow.

That .exe (the one with altered phots and fighter HB) would have been overwritten by the patch .exe. These "patches" actually replace the whole game engine, not modify it. We are presently trying to discuss a general patch so we can release a one shot that pleases most and then we can mod it ourselves with the editor. Please join in.

Please note that the patch also contains Tar's PD Phaser fixes he made to make the AI less inclined to waste PH3/Gs on targets past range 3. This won't allow anyone to fire a PD phaser past range 3.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »
Quote from: Corbomite
These "patches" actually replace the whole game engine, not modify it. We are presently trying to discuss a general patch so we can release a one shot that pleases most and then we can mod it ourselves with the editor. Please join in.

Please note that the patch also contains Tar's PD Phaser fixes he made to make the AI less inclined to waste PH3/Gs on targets past range 3. This won't allow anyone to fire a PD phaser past range 3.

Oops. I forgot about limiting the Ph3/G to the meaty part of its chart (i.e. tractor range). I think it is a massive improvement for the game, but it shouldn't be default for the OP folks. I thought I had reset it to normal.  :buck2:

The SFC_Editor can come to the rescue...

Ph3/G brackets restored to 10.0, 20.0, 30.0, 40.0, 90.0, 160.0.
Ph3/G Maximum Range of 160.0.

That ought to do the trick.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 02:12:25 pm »
I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. If we do finally get back to multiplayer I can just see myself 4.5 away from a rabid Lyran on my 6 with his front shield down and all I have left is two PHG hoping, just hoping that I can get just a few points into him to slow him down enough to get off the map, then I furiously mash the buttons yelling "DIE! DIE!" and all I hear is BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

CUT TO CLOSEUP: "TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!"

;D

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 02:36:27 pm »
Ph3/G Maximum Range of 160.0.

By the way, your tooltip for this reads 29.9, not the stock 159.9 (or 160, I just followed the pattern of the other entries in that tab). I manually edited my offsets file to correct it.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 02:52:51 pm »
That made me laugh, Corbomite. "TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR" Heh.

In time, I may discover the functions that control the AI's fire decisions. In Community Edition, the AI is very smart with Ph-3's, but it is a drunken sailor with Ph-G's. And Bonk may have left a trail of breadcrumbs to the function because I can compare CE to EAW.

I truly want to leave all the charts and ranges alone! But in the meantime, I can't play the game as is. It is silly that a Kzinti DF can kill a Hydran DE (which has 5 Ph-G) using nothing but drones casually fired from range 9 to 15.

When I forgot to set the stats of Ph3/G to stock for 2.561, the tooltips were set to my personal version, which got passed on to the patch. It is good to have beta testers to find such inconsistencies. 159.9 would translate into the correct Maximum Range for a SFB Ph3. Thanks for finding my mistake.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 03:04:12 pm »
The AI is a bit smarter in OP in some areas, but I haven't really analyzed the PD too closely. I know the fighter PHG tend to fire too far away.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 06:30:23 pm »
 :drinkinsong:

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2016, 12:21:18 am »
Put in updated models and background!!!! :)
I'm a greedy bastard!

Oh, client/server pack due in v2562, not included yet in links at top of this thread.  Just FYI!

This is all d4v1ks work, by the way. Respect!

Also note as per Corbomite's question earlier this thread, that the CE Patch enables hotkeys:
-Fire Pseudo Plasma, Toggle Marine Raids, Convert Shuttles, Select All Weapons.

These are not enabled in OP, and are currently only a CE feature.  I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff, but if I understand correctly, someone using a hex editor, might be able to in brute force fashion EVENTUALLY figure out how to enable these hotkeys in OP.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2016, 05:59:24 am »
Oh, client/server pack due in v2562, not included yet in links at top of this thread.  Just FYI!

I was waiting for a more elegant solution.
But if that doesn't happen i will release as it is.

These are not enabled in OP, and are currently only a CE feature.  I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff

I also have no idea how TarMinyatur fixed those hotkeys.
I didn't made all of this alone, you know? :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:11:12 am by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:46 am »
Also note as per Corbomite's question earlier this thread, that the CE Patch enables hotkeys:

These are not enabled in OP, and are currently only a CE feature.  I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff, but if I understand correctly, someone using a hex editor, might be able to in brute force fashion EVENTUALLY figure out how to enable these hotkeys in OP.
The game uses a so-called map to assign hotkeys to actions. Using IDA, you might see something like "Engage Cloak" followed by an action code of, let's say, 13 01. If I overwrite the action code with, let's say, the one from Emergency Deceleration then my ship will come to a screeching halt when I press the cloak hotkey. Yes, this isn't very useful.

However, there are unassigned actions, such as Fire Pseudoes, Toggle Marine Raids, etc. Their action codes (18 01, 19 01, etc.) can be used in place of less useful hotkeys, such as Yellow Alert, Self-Destruct, Orbit Target, etc.

The process is a bit more complicated because the hotkey menu will overwrite your custom data every session. To overcome this annoying problem, you have to edit the default map which is nearby. And finally, it helps to update (via aaStrings.txt) the labels on the hotkey menu for your custom assignments...so "Yellow Alert" is replaced with "Fire Psuedo Torps" or whatever.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 08:48:45 am »
Hi all,
I was able to add 2 layouts, to the sprites.q3, that were missing when playing with the Orion race.
The other races seems to not have that problem when playing with lowres=2 or lowres=4.
lowres=0 still crashes, as in the left side the feature that enables us to switch panels doesn't seem to be implement in the Orion race...

That will enable us to add more wider resolutions. Which is useful to merge the 2 HD patches in 1, as when playing in a multiplayer environment, the server needs to check the exe's CRC.
So, i'm aiming to include in the next HD + Gamespy patch:

640x480 (4:3)
800x600 (4:3)
1280x800 (16:10)
1366x768 (16:9)
1440x900 (16:10)
1600x900 (16:9)
1920x1080 (16:9)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:00:15 am by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 09:52:27 am »
Merging the two HD patches into one is a good idea. Alternativeley, maybe I could hex-edit the server software to not do a CRC check on the .exe. But it makes sense to have everyone use the same .exe on a particular server to avoid conflicts.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2016, 12:38:36 pm »
The exe has to be checked, and most likely the sprites.q3 too, as people can cheat now with all this hexediting around.
There is a folder on the server where we can drop the things we want to CRC. So no changes are needed for that.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 05:22:38 pm »
Agreed. Sneaky people may cheat.
I think anyone playing SFC these days is beyond cheating. What is much more likely to occur is an unintentional difference in weapon or system specs.

Carlos and I did a skirmish in which I had speed-32 Plasma and he had speed-36 Plasma. It was weird -- we each saw the "correct" speed. It wasn't good for synchrony to say the least.

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2016, 06:01:13 pm »
Tar that is very clever to test that plasma speed mis-match on the clients....very clever.

I have located my OP disk, have not re-installed, my current version is frankenmoded (from a modified old SFB mod many years old) and i should reinstall clean.

Having a unified update solution w/ all the fixes and enhancements, I did fire it up after the post about the circumvention of the gamespy issue with DV on OS greater than XP.

Would this "split" a potential player base for DV?

CE would get some and OP would get some...theoretically.
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 02:47:46 pm »
I updated the SFC OP patches!
Take a look into the first post of this topic!
You can now run and join a multiplayer campaign like in the past!  :rockinband:
The HD is more stable now and it should not crash like before!  :rwoot:

If you find any issue, feel free to drop a line here.
Anyone has a spare machine to host a server?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:22:08 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »
Patch 2562 includes:

SFC_Editor 1.4.0.2
Q3_Editor 1.6.5.4

To install this you just need:

1. Install game from CD
2. Install patch 2562

I will update the tool's topics later...

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 07:47:43 pm »
Thanks for fixing and improving OP.  ;)

You say that because you didn't saw yet that this patch has not a 1920x1200 resolution by default!
But fear not, i added a youtube video into the first topic.
It is a tutorial on how to replace an existing resolution... ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:09:46 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 08:18:55 pm »
Got mine! Thanks for all the work. I always keep a fresh stock install handy for just such an occasion. Now I just have to get it on a computer that is on the internet.

This may take a few months. I don't want to play OP/EAW on a laptop. Either that or I have to hook my XP machine up again and I don't think that's a good idea anymore.

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »
I scrubbed my install (had 3 different versions), got a fresh 2500 on - patched up....then...black screen....synapse fired and adjusted back to 16 bit...worked fine.

Jumped into a Sparrowhawk A and crippled a stock NCL...felt much better about life in general to have that occur in glorious HD.

HOWEVER, no DV listed and i cannot remember what ports I should open.

Can some one post the current router port information?
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2016, 09:25:32 pm »
I cant find the post describing optimal settings to boost frame rates...

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:53 pm »

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2016, 07:32:37 am »
With all the information that is starting to pile up between SFC OP, CE, and SFC 3 we might want to consider making a separate thread for each game that has only patches, release notes, and links.  Sort of like we did with the free programs list a few years ago that Nemesis created in the Engineering sub forum.  This way people who are just coming back to the game can find what they need quickly and easily.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2016, 01:23:58 pm »
Here's an optional update for the SFCOP 2.562 offsets. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AA9122667945A037!334&authkey=!AMRavJ5zzUlJtNE&ithint=file%2ctxt

The generic offsets.txt has a new name, StarFleetOP.txt. It goes in a new folder called SFC_Editor. Your root folder should look more orderly now.

What does this update do?

Plasma-D can be given a custom endurance, which is necessary if you want to modify its speed. Plasma-F is thereafter isolated from Plasma-D.

The value for transporter range is shared by two functions. We don't know what the second function does. If you want to modify the transporter range, you can do so safely after you enable an option for custom ranges. This will preserve that 59.9 for whatever it does.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »
Noticed two oddities in the StarFleetOP.txt.

The ResolutionA's "Max Height" shows a value of zero.
6ac46 : ui // Max Height // 800?

The ResolutionC's "Max Height" shows a value of zero.
6ac66 : ui // Max Height // 900?

Working as intended, Carlos?
Do we need to enter 800 for 0x6AC46 and 900 for 0x6AC66?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2016, 04:28:37 pm »
Yes, it is working as intended.
The code has to keep some logic so it won't crash in case someone chooses an unsuported resolution.
Like:

width:   640 < 800 < 1280 < 1366 < 1440 < 1600 < 1920
heigth:  480 < 600 < 0      < 768   < 0      < 900   < 1080
                               800                 900

The zeros means that that particular check is skipped, so it can default to something.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »
If those zero-valued offsets are needed for logic, why make them customizable in the SFC_Editor?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2016, 05:01:06 pm »
Because, for example, someone can replace 1600x900 for 1680x1080 and still keep the same logic.

width:   640 < 800 < 1280 < 1366 < 1440 < 1680 < 1920
heigth:  480 < 600 < 0      < 768   < 900   < 1050 < 1080
                               800                 ...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:10:52 am by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:00 pm »
I don't understand. If a player changes the 1280x800 ResolutionA slot to 1280x768 does he need to modify the Max Height? If he doesn't, the Max Height will be zero even though he wants it to presumably be 768.

Width and Height are obvious in what they define.
Max Width and Max Height don't make sense to me.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2016, 10:13:06 pm »
Maybe is not the best description for it:

Width and Heigth are the values of the resolution we want to set.
Max_Width and Max_Heigth are the upper bounds to which it applies.
Description is the name of the layouts of the sprites.q3 we want to use.

Example:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:11:54 am by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2016, 09:08:37 am »
Huh? 800 <= 0 is always false. Why include it in an OR statement?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2016, 09:13:59 am »
No Tar, if I understand this correctly the 0 is just place holder. If the value = 0, then it defaults to whatever it does to get it to work.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:47 am »
Yes, it is a place holder.
The SFCOP's c++ code probably is something like:

Code: [Select]
char *GetLayoutDescription()
{
  char *result;
  int height;
  int width;

GetClientSize(&width, &height);

if ( width <= 640 || height <= 480 )
  {
    result = "640x480";
  }
  else if ( width <= 800 || height <= 600 )
  {
    result = "800x600";
  }
  else if ( width <= 1280 || height <= 0 )
  {
    result = "1280x800";
  }
  else if ( width <= 1366 || height <= 768 )
  {
    result = "1366x768";
  }
  else if ( width <= 1440 || height <= 0 )
  {
    result = "1440x900";
  }
  else if ( width <= 1600 || height <= 900 )
  {
    result = "1600x900";
  }
  else if ( width <= 1920 || height <= 1080 )
  {
    result = "1920x1080";
  }
  else
  {
    sprintf(result, "%dx%d", width, height);
  }

return result;
}

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:54 am »
I have a question:

I just opened the patch this morning (sorry been busy) and I saw all the SFC Assets/Meta Assets and other game files. Why were they included? These change a lot of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:12:48 am by Corbomite »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2016, 10:48:04 am »
Why were they included? These change a lot of stuff.

They were included cause the v2562 patch includes all the files updated by the patch v2552.
That is why it is called 2500-2562 patch (all-in-one), so you can update the game directly after install it from CD.

2562 = (2500 + patch 2552 + 2561 hd patch + hd tweak + gamespy fix) - 2500
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:42:54 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2016, 11:22:06 am »
OK, but why do I need things like an nearly empty models folder and half of the single player campaign .gf files missing? Weapons Groups rewrites every time you make a new entry, so why do we need a new one of that?

If these are meant to replace certain files, then ok, but someone might just replace Assets/Meta Assets with the whole file and most of their game would be gone.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2016, 11:40:38 am »
OK, but why do I need things like an nearly empty models folder and half of the single player campaign .gf files missing? Weapons Groups rewrites every time you make a new entry, so why do we need a new one of that?

If these are meant to replace certain files, then ok, but someone might just replace Assets/Meta Assets with the whole file and most of their game would be gone.

That question can only be answered by the persons that made the 2552 patch.
I've no idea why those files were replaced/updated when i installed the 2552 patch on top of 2500... the CRC's didnt matched so i added them to my 2500-2562 patch.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:45 am »
You can still get the 2552 patch right here on D.net. No need to do that. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

I'll look for the linky.

http://www.xenocorp.net/fleets_guilds/starfleet_command/sfcop_updates.htm

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2016, 12:53:39 pm »
the CRC's didnt matched so i added them to my 2500-2562 patch.

I thought it gave you a list of files that were bad so you could replace them if the CRC check failed. The server needs everything the client needs, but I'm sure you knew that.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2016, 01:07:54 pm »
Now I'm just confused. You modded 2500 and not 2552, so we need to replace or install everything that was given or does your installer do for you? I just opened everything. I haven't installed it at all because I have my game and editor versions on different machines.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2016, 02:23:16 pm »
This is how i proceeded:

1. I made a clean install of SFCOP from CD (2500)
2. I generated a list of folders and files, and their respectives checksums, using a tool.
3. Installed 2552 patch
4. Installed 2561 HD patch
5. Added a gamespy fix, and some little tweaks, on StartFleetOP.exe, sprites.q3 and offsets.txt (2562)
6. Generated another list of folders and files and their respectives checksums.
7. Used a tool to compare the 2 lists and produce the patch.

Resuming:

patch = 2562 - 2500   or   2562 = 2500 + patch

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2016, 02:28:37 pm »
OK, that's what I needed to know. I was going to install on my clean stock 2552. I need to do another fresh disc install then skip Taldren patches and apply yours.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2016, 03:03:19 pm »
I can see how that might get confusing.  We may want to consider changing the process order as most of us will try to install the unmodified game from the disk then install the 2552 patch second.  It's what I would have done.  In fact I keep a copy of OP with the 2552 patch on a USB so I can install faster.

SFC II/OP used to have a update function, any way we can bring that back from the dead and use Dynaverse.net as the host?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
That it does. It is a good idea to keep a copy of your old .exe to use as a reference when remodding your personal game.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2016, 10:38:30 am »
I updated the 2500-2562 patch.

It now includes the new 16 nebulas' place holders.
The game will choose one randomly from the new folder (".\assets\textures\skybgnds"), and load it at the start of the game.

This release includes the latest offsets' file from TarMinyatur.

The patch is dated: 19 march 2016 :popcorn:

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2016, 11:08:44 am »
Glitches aside, does this mean that the skybgnd-mono textures for the nebs are totally independent of the other calls to that texture?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
Sorry, had packed it wrong. But it is ok now.  ;D

The "random nebula feature" only affects the image that is loaded and used as nebula effect/background.
So it is "totally independent of the other calls".
The standart image "skybggnd-mono.bmp" is still used as it always was, in the other parts of the code.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:25:02 am by d4v1ks »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2016, 11:45:15 am »
Now what happens when you have multiple ones in the folder. My concern is the overlay or second nebula texture. When it random selects the nebula texture will that apply to both the nebula texture and the second overlay?
Corb knows better maybe he can explain it better.

Yes, the game will use the same texture for both the 2 overlays. You can see that happening on the screenshots below.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2016, 11:50:13 am »
Now what happens when you have multiple ones in the folder. My concern is the overlay or second nebula texture. When it random selects the nebula texture will that apply to both the nebula texture and the second overlay?
Corb knows better maybe he can explain it better.

Yes, they are tidally locked.  :) I wish we could separate them. It is the cause of all the F1 trouble. I'd love just to delete that entire second cylinder, but if we do we will probably find out that the shipyard no longer works for some odd reason!  :crazy2:

Thank you so much for this d4v1ks. You literally made my first dream for this game come true, at least for the nebs.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2016, 11:52:45 am »
Any idea what happens in multi? Does it choose the same thing for all players in a mission?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
Any idea what happens in multi? Does it choose the same thing for all players in a mission?

I'm sure the players will not get the same nebula (1/16 chance).

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »

I'm sure the players will not get the same nebula (1/16 chance).

Well if anyone wants to eliminate any issues for MP they can always load 16 of the same thing. Or will it take what ever is in there? Do there have to be 16 files in the folder?

Any chance this can work for ion storms too?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
I either misunderstood what the randomizer does or I am doing something wrong. I can only get it to swap nebs every time I start the game, not mission to mission. Is this correct?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2016, 01:30:32 pm »
I either misunderstood what the randomizer does or I am doing something wrong. I can only get it to swap nebs every time I start the game, not mission to mission. Is this correct?

Yes, unfortunately the texture is part if a complex array of pointers and classes that is initialized at one point, and never called back again.
It's impossible to track down, or understand the repercussions of changing such thing, without source code.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »

Yes, unfortunately the texture is part if a complex array of pointers and classes that is initialized at one point, and never called back again.
It's impossible to track down, or understand the repercussions of changing such thing, without source code.

OK no worries. It's still an automatic randomizer and every time you feel like taking a break you'll have a new neb to go back to.

I confirmed that all files need to be active for the program to work right, so 16 of the same thing are needed if consistency in MP is important for those playing and running servers. I'll update my Read Me and give you credit for your work. I also have five more nebs to build!

Thanks!

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2016, 04:48:22 pm »
Last addition...  :)

I have created a place holder for the shields texture, and updated the 2562 patch.
So now:

"assets\textures\skybgnds\*.bmp"         -> nebulas' textures
"assets\textures\shields.bmp"               -> shields' texture
"assets\textures\skybgnd-mono.bmp"    -> black hole texture + unknown use

I was not able to isolate the other reference.
This patch will need some test, to see how the game deals with the 2 extra textures references.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2016, 05:08:08 pm »
You are sooooo awesome!  :rwoot:

I have to go offline for a few hours, but I'll be back tonight.

Expect new shield graphics to accompany the neb pack.

Do the shields get the random thingy too or is that just a one isolation?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2016, 05:16:09 pm »
You are sooooo awesome!  :rwoot:

I have to go offline for a few hours, but I'll be back tonight.

Expect new shield graphics to accompany the neb pack.

Do the shields get the random thingy too or is that just a one isolation?

Its just one.
It is very hard to insert code into the exe. Dunno even where to put such thing atm.
But, i've been testing it and even just a white texture looks nice. Makes it more visible. And the game automatically puts some color on it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:32:22 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2016, 09:23:24 pm »
But, i've been testing it and even just a white texture looks nice. Makes it more visible. And the game automatically puts some color on it.

Wait until you see the disco balls I have lined up. Four new shield contact graphics for your pleasure, and of course there is still stock which looks pretty good too.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2016, 01:23:18 pm »
It is very cool to watch people using the work made by us all.
Just look how cool it looks multiplayer games played on SFCOP & patch 2562 & OP+ 4.0
It is the reward for all the hours we spent doing those things.

>>>>>>>> Spider X (Youtube Channel) <<<<<<<<

The only thing that is missing is the wonderful space background's models made by Adam with the help of Corbomite...
maybe take advantage of the new shields texture? Or some new space dusts? ;)

So many things were made that i even can't remember all of them by now.
Last time i checked just the starfleetOP.exe there was 129 non consecutive changes (some sharing the same purpose). ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:44:09 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:42 pm »
We need a step by step guide for OP in the Win10 age for dopes like me...
Nice youtube channel!!

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2016, 11:06:20 pm »
Step 1: Purchase Windows XP, never let go.  :P
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Starfleet Command Orion Pirates 2500-2562 HD (Unofficial Patch)
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2016, 04:14:11 pm »
I'm kindy of working on a new release for Orion Pirates, aka 2563.
This "unoffical patch" will include the lastest fixes made by Tar, wich are described here.
The client and server packages will include a new tool that emulates the directory services hosted by Dynaverse. This tool will allow you to create a true LAN server, for example, without the need of any external services, except QTracker which at the moment does all the client authentication and keeps the public server list.

Example:

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2016, 04:18:34 pm »
This is awesome.

I'm so glad OP is hanging around!

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2016, 02:10:58 pm »
This is awesome.

I'm so glad OP is hanging around!

You are welcome!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:37:01 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2016, 06:30:55 pm »
Here are some screenshots of the last battles on GameRanger.
I used the 2562 HD Patch + OPplus 4.0 combo;D
Great job Adam, on those backgrounds. We just gotta to love them!
Thanks for your hard work.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2016, 12:15:30 am »
Carlos, help for a Win10 idiot:
I've made a ISO of my OP CD. But after mounting, when I click either Autorun or Setup.exe (even if running as Administrator & with Panda Antivirus disabled and dropping desktop resolution to 800x600), the SFC OP install window and music comes up, and I click the INSTALL graphic button, but then nothing happens and window disappears.

I know once I get to the stage wherein it asks me where to install, it goes to C:\Users\[username]\Documents\my games (or whatever subfolder)\Orion Pirates

Then i install the "SFCOOP 2500-2562 patch" (running the exe FROM folder I installed SFCOP).
Then I install opplus_40_models.exe (or the "no models" version if preferred).
Then adjust the StarfleetOP.exe properties to Reduced Color Mode, 16-bit color. and recommended sfc.ini [3D] changes to get 60fps.
Then adjust lowres in sfc.ini per my own monitor/graphics cards abilities such that:
Then I try to get the cool new nebula/star/planet/grid graphics installed (no idea where to get those or how to install, but not anywhere near there now).

Note I've used YOUR extracted ISO/SFC file from my Documents folder, prepatched to 2552, and it seems to run FINE. But I wanted to learn how to do it myself, AND to apply your patch and future patches, I wanted to be able to install base OP, then be able to patch it up to most current.  Besides, I know 2563 with Tar's changes is upcoming.

Oh, one last question: the location of the ISO file itself shouldn't make a difference, right? I have THAT in my Documents folder too.

Any ideas?

Thanks for everything!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:45:20 am by Tumulorum Fossor »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:58 am »
I've made a ISO of my OP CD. But after mounting, when I click either Autorun or Setup.exe (even if running as Administrator & with Panda Antivirus disabled and dropping desktop resolution to 800x600), the SFC OP install window and music comes up, and I click the INSTALL graphic button, but then nothing happens and window disappears.
(...)
Oh, one last question: the location of the ISO file itself shouldn't make a difference, right? I have THAT in my Documents folder too.

The only thing that comes into my mind is that the ISO you made is somehow corrupted.
I also had a lot of issues trying to save old CDs, cleaning them well and then doing a lot of attempts to save their images. But some just get damaged behind recover, even if it is a single portion of their surface.
I don't have any problems installing OP from my ISO image. But these days i just use a zipped backup. I just drag and drop it in my documents folder, and then add its path to the registry (using a *.REG file).

I know once I get to the stage wherein it asks me where to install, it goes to C:\Users\[username]\Documents\my games (or whatever subfolder)\Orion Pirates

Then i install the "SFCOOP 2500-2562 patch" (running the exe FROM folder I installed SFCOP).
Then I install opplus_40_models.exe (or the "no models" version if preferred).
Then adjust the StarfleetOP.exe properties to Reduced Color Mode, 16-bit color. and recommended sfc.ini [3D] changes to get 60fps.
Then adjust lowres in sfc.ini per my own monitor/graphics cards abilities such that:
Then I try to get the cool new nebula/star/planet/grid graphics installed (no idea where to get those or how to install, but not anywhere near there now).

(...)

Any ideas?

You are doing the same steps i do.
Don't see anything unusual here.

About the space backgrounds package...
You should ask Captain Adam about it. He is the author. :)

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2016, 09:18:33 am »
Are you running Win10 x64 which has driver verification on by default?
Did you turn off driver verification?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2016, 09:35:09 am »
I'm just using a standard installation of Windows 10 Home x64. Nothing fancy.
To mount my CD's ISOs i use the free edition of Daemon Tools.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2016, 12:52:44 pm »
Maybe I could get to an XP PC, install base OP, copy entire installed folder to USB drive (zip if necessary), port it to my Win10 PC to Documents folder.

You think that might do it? That would bypass the entire issue, and I'd have a USB drive with base OP ready to go!

Also how do you regedit the location of the file?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2016, 04:32:29 pm »
After you install the game, open the "regedit.exe" and to a search for "Taldren".
You will find something like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Taldren\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates]
"Directory"="c:\\users\\d4v1k\\documents\\My Games\\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates"

Click on it, and in the "File" menu select "Export..." to save it as a file.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2016, 07:45:33 pm »
Okay BIG successes to report I think!
My laptop runs Win10 x86, with native desktop at 1920x1080 resolution.

Installing off the OP CD led to only seeing the graphic with the INSTALL button, which, when clicked, would cause the window to disappear showing the desktop but no install.

Using ISO had the same result.

Trying to copy files from the ISO to a folder on the laptop gave me the .cab files off the disk, but I was unable to expand them.

So, went to a different XP machine and installed OP from the CD, but chose a folder path to emulate what I wanted on my Win10 laptop: ( C:\User\[My name]\Documents\my games ). Incidental note: I did NOT install Gamespy Arcade stuff. This created the default folder substructure but in my Documents folder, ie C:\User\[My name]\Documents\my games\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates .

I copied that entire folder, folder tree and all (including appropriate subfolders), to a USB drive from the XP PC.

I THEN used regedit on the XP to find [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Taldren\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates]
"Directory"="C:\\Users\\[My name]\\Documents\\my games\\Taldren Software Inc.\\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates", which I selected, and in "File" menu, selected "Export" to save it as file "Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.reg". I copied THAT reg file onto the USB drive as well as the intact extracted folder tree from the SFC OP install.

I edited that reg file to be of format: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Taldren\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates]
"Directory"="c:\\users\\d4v1k\\documents\\My Games\\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates" (which essentially meant I just had to add the WOW6432Node subfolder)

I ejected the USB drive and brought it to the laptop.  I copied the "Users\[My name]\Documents\my games\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates" folder from the USB onto my laptop's C: drive, leaving the entire subfolder structure INTACT.

I copied the Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.reg file from USB onto my desktop. Double-clicked on it and OKAYED the installation of the entry into my registry of the Win10 laptop.

For the heck of it, I then ran StarFleetOP.exe to see what would happen. Lo and behold, I got a full screen but low res launch of SFC OP v2500.  I launched the first tutorial, and it was working... for about five minutes, then FROZE. Oh, well...

But I kept on.  I moved the downloaded and unzipped SFCOP 2500-2562.exe patch to the Starfleet Command Orion Pirates folder, ran it, and directed the patch upon the prompt to the proper directory.

i then ran StarFleetOP.exe one again. This time, I got an upper left corner black window on the desktop, and nothing else. No sound, images, or anything. I closed the process with Task Manager.

I THEN performed the 60fps adjustments to StarfleetOP.exe Properties>Compatibility Tab>Settings, ticked the Reduced Color box & set the pulldow bar to 16-bit color.
I also edited sfc.ini under the [3D] section to lowres=6, which corresponds to my desktop resolution as per:

Then, expecting nothing, I clicked StarFleetOP.exe again and...
...OMG it works! I ran the same first tutorial, and kept it running for 10-15minutes without crash.

I still have to install firesoul OP4+.
Carlos, you using firesoul OP4+ with or without models?

And PAGING CAPTAIN ADAM! I need to get the improved space textures PLEASE!

I'm psyched that I THINK this got it working!

Excuse length of post, but I wanted to share, and hopefully get others going in the right direction.  Thanks, Carlos!!!!

PS - Not joking about Captain Adam.  I NEEDS those textures!!!!!

PPS:
Carlos, I don't want to screw this up.  Two questions:

1) Did I do anything wrong by NOT installing GameSpy from the v2500 initial install?
2) Where should I install the SFCOP 2562 Server (if I want to try to run one at SOME point...)?
3) Just curious: are you using firesoul's OP4.0+ WITH or WITHOUT models? Philosophic question I guess...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:41:27 pm by Tumulorum Fossor »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2016, 09:13:42 pm »
Okay BIG successes to report I think!
My laptop runs Win10 x86, with native desktop at 1920x1080 resolution.
(...)
1) Did I do anything wrong by NOT installing GameSpy from the v2500 initial install?
2) Where should I install the SFCOP 2562 Server (if I want to try to run one at SOME point...)?
3) Just curious: are you using firesoul's OP4.0+ WITH or WITHOUT models? Philosophic question I guess...

I'm glad you were able to make it work. Looks nice right?  :)
That gamespy stuff doesn't work anymore. QTracker has a similar software, but i think it doesn't support SFC yet. Maybe noone has made the request!
I installed the server in the same place of the game, just for convenience.
In the pictures above i was using OP4.0+ with models, because it is what people use on GameRanger these days.
I'm happy for you. Hope you have fun with it.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2016, 09:30:59 pm »
Thanks! Most of the issues I'm convinced are from RESOLUTION issues than anything else.  And running from document folder.

So I owe it to you, Carlos!

Re: installing Server to same directory as the game, there are many files which are duplicate names (and most of them look to be the same file, but some have different dates).

Should one simply replace game files with the duplicates in the server?

Sorry if stupid question.

Also, with FireSoul OP4.0+, the installer asks if one wants to install:
-Start Menu Shortcuts
-ESG SoundLoop Fix
-Update Dynaverse2 Directory Servers
-Missig Fighters - Fix broken shortcut and start-in directory

Should I do any of these as I already patched up using the 2500-2562 patch?

OH, THANKS Capt Adam! Great textures!

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2016, 09:40:21 pm »
Re: installing Server to same directory as the game, there are many files which are duplicate names (and most of them look to be the same file, but some have different dates).
Should one simply replace game files with the duplicates in the server?
(...)
-ESG SoundLoop Fix

Don't install it in the same folder of the game!
I was referring to something like:

Client - > "C:\Users\[My name]\Documents\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates"
Server -> "C:\Users\[My name]\Documents\Taldren Software Inc\SFC OP 2562 server"

2 independent folders!  ;)

About the extra features on the OP+ installer i just installed the "ESG SoundLoop Fix".

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2016, 06:37:00 pm »
Hey Carlos, does EZIni (2.0) play nice with new resolutions enabled by changing sfc.ini's "lowres" values to 3,5, or 6?

EZIni doesn't offer those resolutions. But does using EZIni corrupt manually changing the lowres values?

I think EZIni thinks this is true (prepatch 2562):
lowres = 0 (800x600)
lowres = 1 (640x480)
lowres = 3 (1024x768)
lowres = 4 (1200x960)
lowres = 5 (1280x1024)
lowres = 6 (1600x1200)

But postpatch, as you set it :)...

So that means that if using EZIni with modern PC, when setting by EZIni to 1600x1200, you're REALLY setting for 1920x1080.

Right?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:49:24 pm by Tumulorum Fossor »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2016, 06:31:46 am »
if using EZIni with modern PC, when setting by EZIni to 1600x1200, you're REALLY setting for 1920x1080.
Right?

Right

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2016, 10:37:09 am »
I've finished packing the 2563 update (client and server).
I will test it a bit before release.
It will add some aditional fixes (scanners and sensors fix, hydran plasma UI fix, directory services emulator, ...), and it will change the default shields and spacedust textures.
I don't plan to update it in the near future.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2016, 11:56:25 am »
AWESOME!
Will it be a standalone patch 2500>2563 or a sequential patch 2500>2562>2563?
Can you incorporate the ESG sound fix from FireSouls OP 4.0+, since you're cleaning EVERYTHING ELSE up? :)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
AWESOME!
Will it be a standalone patch 2500>2563 or a sequential patch 2500>2562>2563?
Can you incorporate the ESG sound fix from FireSouls OP 4.0+, since you're cleaning EVERYTHING ELSE up? :)

Yes, it will be a 2500-2563 standalone patch.

The objective is to provide higher resolutions, a lot of customization, bugs fixes (both executable and sprites.q3) and a working online experience.

Don't even know why people have tried to create a SFC4 from scratch.
If you are not able to fix a bug, update a feature that have lost its support, or enhance some kind of feature, how can you create a completely new game?
Just see how great a modded SFCOP looks in the images below.
That is what people have been loosing...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:11:44 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Starfleet Command Orion Pirates 2500-2563 HD (Unofficial Patch)
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »
Those screenshots look amazing!  Will have to track down some more models besides the ones in "Firesouls OP+4.0 models".

Can't wait to see what Capt Adam does next, too.

I remember years ago someone improved the damaged ship textures.  Anyone have those?

OH, Carlos! Incorporate the ESG Sound loop fix into your patches such that someone could just patch up via your latest and have their OP totally buffed!  It just makes more sense that all the fixes are incorporated with the latest patch rather than a shiplist mod (assuming this is doable and not difficult)!

Excited to get back into this game.

I have to work away from home tonight, so I'll bring the laptop along.  Also thinking how these new resolutions might look on a home theater!!!!

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2016, 07:37:28 pm »
Incorporate the ESG Sound loop fix into your patches such that someone could just patch up via your latest and have their OP totally buffed!

I've added it on your request. :)
Makes sense right?
SFCOP on all its glory once again.

Now, we just need to test if everything ok with 2563, playing it.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2016, 07:56:37 pm »
Incorporate the ESG Sound loop fix into your patches such that someone could just patch up via your latest and have their OP totally buffed!

I've added it on your request. :)
Makes sense right?
SFCOP on all its glory once again.

Now, we just need to test if everything ok with 2563, playing it.

Thank YOU! Installing right now. Was installing Firesouls OP+ right now! Nice to know ALL the fixes are already in the patch (ESG SoundLoop! Yay!).  The "Missing Fighters - Broken shortcut and start-in directory" fix already incorporated/made obsolete I gather!

Oh, you didn't add ESG soundloop fix just now, right? There's only ONE version of the 2563 patch that already had the ESG soundloop fix, right?

And THANK YOOOOUUUU! (Not just for this, but I wouldn't be playing right now if it weren't for you figuring out that it is Win10 compatible...)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:21:31 pm by Tumulorum Fossor »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2016, 05:57:07 pm »
Hey Carlos, does EZIni (2.0) play nice with new resolutions enabled by changing sfc.ini's "lowres" values to 3,5, or 6?

EZIni doesn't offer those resolutions. But does using EZIni corrupt manually changing the lowres values?

I think EZIni thinks this is true (prepatch 2562):
lowres = 0 (800x600)
lowres = 1 (640x480)
lowres = 3 (1024x768)
lowres = 4 (1200x960)
lowres = 5 (1280x1024)
lowres = 6 (1600x1200)

But postpatch, as you set it :)...

So that means that if using EZIni with modern PC, when setting by EZIni to 1600x1200, you're REALLY setting for 1920x1080.

Right?

I have updated EziIni 2.0 to 2.1. It now shows the correct info for HD resolutions.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:31:13 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »
Looks incredibly and shall I emphasize, mindboggling scale impressive work!

I'll have to uninstall the current client, i never did install the op+ plus w/ models the last iteration, i will this time around.

Been busy attempting various fixes to the wife's box....the win10 update messed up many things, some have been fixxed, some have not - including her preferred recreation AOE2 HD on the steam client...she is very sad.

I was also wondering, does anyone still have the assets used to run the Web Based Front end for the OP DV....with all the new goodies, from the efforts of those with talent, skill, and love of this moderately antiquated software, that would be most interesting, though IMVHO--some more variety of DV only mission scripts.

Speaking of which--i have always understood that there were some pretty hard limitations in API - but with the new "tech", could some of those limitations be addressed?

Looking forward to restarting my single player rom campaign....my first day I actually had to flee a mission--have not had to do that in single-player in a very long time, all in pretty HD.
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »
Don't even know why people have tried to create a SFC4 from scratch.
If you are not able to fix a bug, update a feature that have lost its support, or enhance some kind of feature, how can you create a completely new game?
Errors are, more often than not, "fused" into the main code structure or happen due to simple and stupid overlooks in a crucial part of the code. Redoing something from scratch is not only easier if you don't have the actual source code, but it's also a good opportunity to do something better and more efficiently.

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:11 pm »
This may be a total noob question but how exactly do you use the Directory Services Emulator to make a LAN server, I changed the server and client files to change to it and I keep getting errors on the server program and also when I try to lach TestClient in the server program it crashes. Am I just doing something wrong?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2016, 09:02:46 am »
http://www.hotandspicyforums.com/sfc-orion-pirates-directory-services-emulator-t19331.html

You probably already read this.

There are two edits: the game's "WONServerSetup.gf" and the server's "ServersSetup.gf"

[WONDirectoryServer/Addresses]
0="???.???.???.???:15101"

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2016, 10:52:03 am »
Yeah Tar, I already checked that but after I edit those files and turn on the directory services emulator, it either says it can't find the directory services or it can't connect to the internet and when I try to run it through dynaverse.net without editing the files and not using the emulator, it does not show up in the Dyna 2 server list.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
Its a shame you are not able to make it run Kryptk9...

Is your firewall blocking something? Some require that you open an exception to the "directory service emulator", so it can accept connections (outbound rules)!
In the files that TarMinyatur mentioned, are you redirecting the client and server to the private IP where the "directory service emulator" is being hosted?
The client and server still requires a connection to Qtracker, that emulates the old gamespy mechanics... is your firewall blocking it? the router?
Are your providing the right public IP of your server to QTracker?

[CentralSwitchSetup]
CentralSwitchAddress="my.public.server.ip"

0="my.private.directoryEmulator.ip:15101"

It works. But still requires a bit of attenction to setup.
GL

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2016, 10:05:09 pm »
Okay, I've double checked and everything is allowed through the firewall and my antivirus is disabled. So am I typing a private IP into the Emulator and then I am pointing the server to that Private IP and giving the server a public IP? How to I give the server IP to Qtracker? Sorry if I'm missing the blatantly obvious.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:24:52 pm by Kryptk9 »

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:17 pm »
I've figured out what my problem is, I'm trying to access the server from the client on the same computer I am running the server on but it does show up for other people. Is there way to run the server and play on it on the same computer? If not, I'll just run it on my laptop.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:50:04 pm by Kryptk9 »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2016, 04:29:54 am »
I've figured out what my problem is, I'm trying to access the server from the client on the same computer I am running the server on but it does show up for other people. Is there way to run the server and play on it on the same computer? If not, I'll just run it on my laptop.

Hum... as you can see here we have found this same problem before, when creating a public server.
Running the client + server in the same computer doesn't seem to work well.
Maybe they were made to run in some specific circunstances, and running both the programs on the same machine will imply that one of them has to run in the "background".
Here in my home i used a tablet to host the server (devices have became so powerfull these days)...  ;D
I'm happy you found the problem.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2016, 01:11:35 pm »

Hum... as you can see here we have found this same problem before, when creating a public server.
Running the client + server in the same computer doesn't seem to work well.
Maybe they were made to run in some specific circunstances, and running both the programs on the same machine will imply that one of them has to run in the "background".
Here in my home i used a tablet to host the server (devices have became so powerfull these days)...  ;D
I'm happy you found the problem.

wonder if you could run a server on a virtual machine... that might make it work on the same box...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2016, 08:35:03 pm »
This circumstance sounds somewhat familer - IIRC, the server kit must be a static IP and it cannot be shared with the client.

Back in the day, if my fading memory is accurate, there was an issue with this, though I may be mistaken or confusing it with another issue.
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2016, 12:13:37 am »
That does sound familiar...

Edit:

Once upon a time Dave Ferrell released a file to run a server using MySQL database instead of the standard flatfile.  Does anyone still have that file?  Maybe that file can resolve this issue and give us more insight.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:35:51 am by Javora »

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2016, 07:11:17 am »
OOOHHHHH--

I just love David Ferrell bedtime stories!
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:15 am »
I know right...

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »
The only David story i did not like was the one where he wiped the OP source code that he had in his possession post-Taldren.

My favorite was where he got the fire vs cloak table from SFB working ... i could hear that one every week- maybe more.
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:19 pm »
Someone tried contacting Dave about the OP source code?  I thought it was Magnum man, when did this happen?

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:19 pm »
Many moon ago---apparently someone kept pestering David and it made him uncomfortable, so he wiped his copy of the source.
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline dieman14

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2016, 09:11:02 pm »
So...been a long time on the Dynaverse hosting front...

I saw a couple posts on Hot and Spicy and here leading me to believe no port forwarding is necessary anymore, which makes me think I can finally play this game with my friends! All firewalls are off on all computers.

Here's what I have going on:

--Workstation 1 (behind my router)
Created, joined Evolvehq Party+
2563 Serverkit, running with no error (I can see and connect to it with the game client from this workstation, although the client does run slow if I do this)
Changed assets/serverprofiles/_CentralSwitchPlusAllServers/WONServerSetup address to 0="Workstation1EvolveIP:15101"
Directory Server Emulator (with Workstation 1's Evolve IP plugged into it, then pushing "Start")

--Workstation 2 (also behind my router)
Connected to Workstation 1's EvolveHQ Party+
2563 OP
Changed metaassets/serverprofiles/multiplayer/WONServerSetup address to 0="Workstation1EvolveIP:15101"

--Workstation 3 (not behind my router, in another house)
2563 OP
Changed metaassets/serverprofiles/multiplayer/WONServerSetup address to 0="Workstation1EvolveIP:15101"

Workstations 2 and 3 get the generic 'Can not find Directory server/cannot connect to internet error'. What do I need to do to get this to work? I also tried plugging in Workstation 1's actual Public IP address into the boxes (and adjusting all of the workstations WONServerSetup address to match) but that seemed to have no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »
OP 2.563 ServersSetup.gf

[CentralSwitchSetup]
Listen=1
CentralSwitchAddress="???"
CentralSwitchPort=27100

What ip do you have for CentralSwitchAddress?

Offline dieman14

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2016, 10:40:42 pm »
OP 2.563 ServersSetup.gf

[CentralSwitchSetup]
Listen=1
CentralSwitchAddress="???"
CentralSwitchPort=27100

What ip do you have for CentralSwitchAddress?

Should this be the EvolveIP?

And just to be clear, the directory server emulator does not need to run on each workstation right? And if so, should they have their own EvolveIP or the server's?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2016, 12:44:50 am »
I don't think the clients need to use a directory service emulator. The machine running the server application (ServerPlatform.exe) would surely need it. The clients don't need any server software, just the 2.563 StarfleetOP.exe.

The server needs to be seen from outside of Evolve. It has to communicate with qtracker on the internet! So an Evolve party address won't work there. The Evolve party address is private. You need to determine your server's public address.

[CentralSwitchSetup]
Listen=1
CentralSwitchAddress="(public)"
CentralSwitchPort=27100

0="(private):15101"

Try Evolve's party system (e.g. 10.132.47.2) for private. Maybe d4v1ks will drop by to clear things up. I'm not sure how this all works.

Offline dieman14

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2016, 07:33:35 am »
I will give that a shot, thanks!

Offline dieman14

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2016, 08:05:18 am »
Alright so here is the new situation:

--Workstation 1 (behind my router)
Created, joined Evolvehq Party+
2563 Serverkit, running with no error (I can see and connect to it with the game client from this workstation, although the client does run slow if I do this)
Changed assets/serverprofiles/_CentralSwitchPlusAllServers/WONServerSetup address to 0="Workstation1EvolveIP:15101" and CentralSwitchAddress="Workstation1PublicIPAddress"
Forward port 27100 on my router to this workstation (otherwise the server will not launch)
Directory Server Emulator (with Workstation 1's Evolve IP plugged into it, then pushing "Start")

--Workstation 2 (also behind my router)
2563 OP

--Workstation 3 (not behind my router, in another house)
2563 OP

I only have access to Workstation 2 at the moment, I will have to 3 tomorrow. This is what happens on the server when the client tries to connect to it:
Info: Connection accepted (11324)
Info: Authenticating Connection (11324)
Info: Connection authenticated (11324)
Info: Connection assigned to switch ID: 2
By then the client times out, it takes the whole 2 minutes to get to that point. I also noticed my server appears on the list twice...

Thanks again to everyone for your help. I know we will figure it out! Everyone is more than welcomed to play on my server as well once we do.

Offline dieman14

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2016, 09:11:16 am »
Well done dieman14!

You find it out while i was drawing the example bellow...
Hope it helps everyone to "visualize" what is needed to run a server campaign under a Evolve's lan party...

Awesome, thank you for this drawing, that is basically what I generated in my head from reading scattered forum posts here and on Hot and Spicy. TarMinyatur gave me the last piece of the puzzle (the CentralSwitchAddress field) that I needed. I am still having a problem with slowness it seems. On workstation 2 in my example, the client is timing out before it can fully connect. I have not gotten to see if the problem persists over to the other workstation, I will be able to try tomorrow.

Is there anything that I need to do to ServerKit 2563 OR OP 2563 to get them to go to QTracker, or is this something built in? On some older forum threads I saw people mention the QTracker application that goes into binaries and changes any references to GameSpy to QTracker, but when I tried to run it on the server and client executables it said it could not find any references. Any thoughts?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2016, 09:20:57 am »
Is there anything that I need to do to ServerKit 2563 OR OP 2563 to get them to go to QTracker, or is this something built in?

It is already built in.

It can be updated, if needed in the future, by running "Edit StarFleetOP.bat" on the client, or "Edit ServerPlatform.bat" on the server.
Those batch files will open the SFC Editor, and there you will be able to see or edit the gamespy links on the executables.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• should know better by now
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2016, 04:01:46 pm »
Will this help OP run on Windows 10?

I've got OP installed and patched up to the last official patch, was about to install Firesoul EAW-to-OP campaigns (and the Nuclear Wessels add-on missions), but for the life of me I can't get OP to stay running.  The game res is currently set at 1600x1200 (desktop res is 1920x1080).
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2016, 04:39:07 pm »
Will this help OP run on Windows 10?

There was a topic about this... See below

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394323.msg1123053437.html#msg1123053437

If you use this patch you can run SFCOP at your current desktop resolution (1920x1080), in window mode, 16 bit compatibility, with a high frame rate!

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2016, 04:43:40 pm »
Ok, I'll try that (the reduced colors trick).

What about the ini file?  I've been trying to edit it and it won't let me do anything.  I applied the patch, but I keep getting 'access is denied', and it's not even a read-only file.

EDIT: set the colors to 16-bit, managed to get a skirmish mission (Wrath of Khan) to load, but it crashed as soon as I tried to select the Reliant as a target.  Further attempts yield similar results.  Like I said, was a fresh (from the CD) install that I patched up to 2552 before adding 2563.

I should also mention that I have been out of the loop regarding SFC mods for several years, so please bear with me.

EDIT 2: Managed to fix the ini file (apparently my computer forgot that my account IS the admin account, so it was blocking edits to it), but I'm still having issues.  Managed to get The Surprise Reversed to load, but as soon as I tried to target a ship, it froze.  Had to end the program via the task manager.  I honestly am at a loss as to what is going on.  Resolution is set to 6 (1920x1080).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:41:33 am by Captain Spadaro »
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2016, 03:25:24 pm »
Like I said, was a fresh (from the CD) install that I patched up to 2552 before adding 2563.

Don't patch to 2552!
You should install from CD, and then install 2563 (which includes the 2552 updated files)!
Dunno if it will help you. But you should try it.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2016, 07:15:21 pm »
Like I said, was a fresh (from the CD) install that I patched up to 2552 before adding 2563.

Don't patch to 2552!
You should install from CD, and then install 2563 (which includes the 2552 updated files)!
Dunno if it will help you. But you should try it.
Uninstalled (more like wiped, the 2563 patch apparently deletes a file needed for uninstalling) the install I had, then reinstalled from the CD and applied the 2563 patch, set res to 6 in the ini file, and did the 16-bit colors trick in the compatibility settings.

No go.

I'm running Intel HD Graphics, could that be it?  I had Intel integrated graphics on my previous machine (a 2004 spec Dell) and never had an issue running OP (or any other SFC game) so I assumed there wouldn't be an issue here.

EDIT: SO I tried running in in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 (in addition to everything described above) and...it runs fine.

Ain't that a kick in the teeth?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:37:05 pm by Captain Spadaro »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2016, 06:55:27 am »
EDIT: SO I tried running in in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 (in addition to everything described above) and...it runs fine.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2016, 07:18:43 am »

I'll take what I can get.  Do you think it'll affect any of the backgrounds?  The shield impacts look good.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2016, 01:36:44 pm »
I'll take what I can get.  Do you think it'll affect any of the backgrounds?  The shield impacts look good.

The game runs at 16 bit colors.
So, i don't think the compatibility mode, you choose to run it, affects anything.
Anyway have you downloaded the backgrounds made by Adam? Those look amazing, and are easy to install.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2016, 08:51:03 am »

The game runs at 16 bit colors.
So, i don't think the compatibility mode, you choose to run it, affects anything.
Anyway have you downloaded the backgrounds made by Adam? Those look amazing, and are easy to install.
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to (like I said, I've been out of the loop for a long time regarding SFC).

Offline subunit

• Ensign
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2016, 12:39:32 pm »
Does anyone know why, after patching to 2563 on Win 7, I might be getting a black screen with a pointer and nothing else when starting SFOP? It exits to desktop if I hit Esc, but nothing else happens.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2016, 08:46:58 am »
Have you changed async to 0 in sfc.ini?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2016, 05:02:15 am »
Hey there.
Some people have asked about, and feel a bit confused about all the things we released this year.
Yes, it turned out to be a very productive year.
We made the SFC Editor, the sprites.q3 Editor, we releasead 2 HD patches for EAW and OP, with a lot of bug fixes.
Then we started on a new tool to completly fix the Gamespy Issue, and for the first time we produced a tool to run offline campaigns in a LAN, beside the public option.
I still have some things in mind.
But i ensure all that i will pack everything into a big release, like we have always have tried to do.
Cheers.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:47 am »
Thankyou for the Christmas presents you have given the community.   :thumbsup: :notworthy:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »
Agreed, 1000%, you are da man! Even just a checklist of the editors, patches and tools would help keep straight this amazing flow of new things

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2016, 11:14:28 am »
In Q3 there is an issue with FED Starbases (Maybe others) Beam weapons 17 and 19 on the main UI. one of them is missing entirely. I think it was 17.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2016, 05:45:32 pm »
In Q3 there is an issue with FED Starbases (Maybe others) Beam weapons 17 and 19 on the main UI. one of them is missing entirely. I think it was 17.

If those are missing, it is because the people that made the game didnt put those there.  ;)
But you can add a new base yourself. Those will have all the 25 slots available by default.
Have you tried that option in the q3 editor?
Cheers.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2016, 01:01:23 pm »
I have figured only how to copy a UI.  How do I replace the old one?

Ok I have a problem or a request for the exe.

I want to increase the ship's max speed within the game to a speed 41 to accommodate X-Ships.

Even though I can get ships to go speed 41,  the ships will not turn after speed 31 because the turn rate cannot be edited. Is there a way to make this happen?

Thank you

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2016, 06:17:47 pm »
Even though I can get ships to go speed 41,  the ships will not turn after speed 31 because the turn rate cannot be edited. Is there a way to make this happen?

I don't know. Nobody has requested this feature until now. Some of us thought it was appropriate that superfast units could not turn unless they slowed down to normal combat speed (<31). But, yeah, for a mod, it would be useful for units to be able to change their heading at speeds greater than 32.

I seem to remember the AI refusing to go faster than 31, even if it could easily do so with ample warp power. Players could reach speeds of 60 or whatever, but did the AI ever take advantage?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »

Ok. I was able to add an option to the StarfleetOP.txt file for the SFC_Editor. You can change the maneuver rate from 0 to 1 by using E8 instead of the default EE. (E8 is for fld1, EE is for fldz. No custom options, such as 0.5, can fit in one byte.)

22280: 1op // Manuever rate, speed 33-255; (EE) = 0.0, (E8) = 1.0 // EE

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2016, 12:23:04 am »
Thank you, I will test this tomorrow!

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2016, 11:20:20 am »
I thought there had been some searching for a solution to the "faster than 31, no turning" issue with no results. I'll give this a try to, during my long holiday break.

I have done several personal mods with above-32 speeds, and I, for one, found the "31+ straight only" to be an interesting consequence. You can still interact with anything else in play (fire weapons, drop mines, launch fighters), and FWIW, HETs still work. I've had ships move at 90+, and when coupled with a high acceleration (300+), it can create a different combat dynamic.

One thing to note - AI ships, including any wingmen you have, will not go past 31. Changing the top speed only works on the ship you are flying, and if you switch from one ship moving at 32+ to another, the ship you left will slow to 31.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2016, 01:34:54 pm »
That is very interesting about speed 31, a bit disappointing as well. I will still give it a try in a bit.

I have been completely re-texturing space (it's a big job)! I have pretty much scrapped all original textures. I am meticulously doing this one space.mod at a time. I am pretty much done now with some really great results.

Update: I am up to about 65 textures. All have been retouched and blended by hand to be as seamless as possible. There are 42 useful Spacescapes between SFC2 and 3, I will post my work for a Beta before the New Year as I have some tweaking and testing to still do.

The file is open for beta testing now.

Please go here to download and enjoy.  http://www.nexusmods.com/startrekstarfleetcommand3/mods/972/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fstartrekstarfleetcommand3%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D972%26preview%3D&pUp=1

I am in need of a 3D modeler to help me with this project. Is there anyone you can put me into contact with that is still active? The spacescape 3d models are horrible, and with some help they could be great!

Thank you.
Xeryx
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:30:22 pm by xeryx »

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2016, 06:17:12 pm »
I think Dark Drone is the only modeler that still regularly posts here...

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #174 on: December 25, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »

I tried a search for him and I did not find him.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #175 on: December 25, 2016, 06:16:52 pm »
Try Darkdrone...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #176 on: December 25, 2016, 06:46:19 pm »

Lets see if this works.

Link to Darkdrones list of posts.

December 9th is his most recent posting
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #177 on: December 26, 2016, 11:14:11 am »

Lets see if this works.

Link to Darkdrones list of posts.

December 9th is his most recent posting

Geeze I feel like a newb, didn't think to take out the space! Thanks for the help!!

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:08 am »

2.564 will have these hotkeys. I can add others upon request (except the "Revive Ship" hotkey).

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2017, 09:17:54 pm »

2.564 will have these hotkeys. I can add others upon request (except the "Revive Ship" hotkey).

what! i totally want a revive ship hotkey... it would come in handy when playing dastardly clever opponents ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2017, 11:53:29 pm »
Hello. I read the OP. It had a link to 35 pages of developer info going back a few years. TL;DR. Is there anyway to get a summary of what this patch does and what you have changed with sfcop with this patch? Thanks.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2017, 06:10:31 pm »
What we changed?
Here is a new change:

(http://www.hotandspicyforums.com/post232141.html#p232141)

Quote from: D4v1ks
Ok... i think i finished the work on the sprites.q3 !
At least what we had in mind:
   - New AMD C assets;
   - The weapon arcs that were missing;
   - A completely new feature that required some massive work, most of it coded, the planets hardpoints!
   - And added a cosmetic lowetBottom panel, to each race, to make it smoother.
All the new bitmaps were made by me. =)

So, here it is, a screenshot of how all the 9 race UI's looks now, when targeting a planet...

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:51 pm »
Hello. I read the OP. It had a link to 35 pages of developer info going back a few years. TL;DR. Is there anyway to get a summary of what this patch does and what you have changed with sfcop with this patch? Thanks.

change log for upcoming 2.564: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394152.msg1123055853.html#msg1123055853

2.563 is an HD/gamespy patch. It also fixed various bugs: Mirak Hit&Run pause, OL Fusion range, UI errors, etc. More or less all the bugs I could fix in Community Edition were fixed in one of the 2.56# patches for OP. It also adds many mechanical variables for mods, configurable through the SFC_Editor.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2017, 01:22:19 pm »
Is there a discussion thread for this anywhere else?

Offline wb70

• Ensign
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2018, 04:42:59 am »
Can I patch this over EAW or are they incompatible??

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2018, 06:57:16 am »
Yeah they are incompatible, you need the 2563 EAW patch which should be out soon if not already.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2018, 12:56:47 am »
Can I patch this over EAW or are they incompatible??
The only unofficial patch for EAW is 2.037. It updates the 2.036 exe, Q3, and txt files to permit HD resolutions and fix bugs.

CE's 2.679 cannot work with EAW. It only works as a replacement for 2.670 Starfleet2CE.exe.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:19:50 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline LordGeoff

• Ensign
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2018, 12:30:43 pm »
I got the SFC OP 2563 patch working in Linux UbuntuMate 16.04 WINE3.  Had to set X11 display to 16bit color depth. If anyone else on Linux is having a problem with the HD patch, what I did should work on any Ubuntu based distro.  I will do a video on setting X11 to 16bit color depth if requested